Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Vienna
- Second nature: biological functions of the Raf-1 "kinase"Manuela Baccarini
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Department of Microbiology and Immunobiology, The University of Vienna, Vienna Biocenter, Dr Bohr Gasse 9, 1030 Vienna, Austria
FEBS Lett 579:3271-7. 2005..Do they still hold surprises? Recent gene targeting studies indicate that they do. This review focuses on the regulation and biology of the best-studied Raf isoform, Raf-1, in the context of its kinase-independent functions...
- Essential role of B-Raf in oligodendrocyte maturation and myelination during postnatal central nervous system developmentGergana Galabova-Kovacs
Max F Perutz Laboratories, University of Vienna, 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Cell Biol 180:947-55. 2008..These data define B-Raf as the rate-limiting MEK/ERK activator in oligodendrocyte differentiation and myelination and have implications for the design and use of Raf inhibitors...
- MEK1 Is Required for PTEN Membrane Recruitment, AKT Regulation, and the Maintenance of Peripheral ToleranceKatarina Zmajkovicova
Department of Microbiology and Immunobiology, Max F Perutz Laboratories, University of Vienna, Doktor Bohr Gasse 9, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Mol Cell 50:43-55. 2013....
- Raf-1 addiction in Ras-induced skin carcinogenesisKarin Ehrenreiter
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Department of Microbiology and Immunobiology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Cancer Cell 16:149-60. 2009..These data link the Raf-1:Rok-alpha complex to STAT3/Myc activation and delineate a pathway crucial for cell fate decision in Ras-induced tumorigenesis...
- ERK and beyond: insights from B-Raf and Raf-1 conditional knockoutsGergana Galabova-Kovacs
Max F Perutz Laboratories, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Cell Cycle 5:1514-8. 2006..Here, we discuss some of the surprises yielded by the analysis of the role of B-Raf and Raf-1 and of their downstream effectors...
- Angiogenic sprouting requires the fine tuning of endothelial cell cohesion by the Raf-1/Rok-α complexReiner Wimmer
Department of Microbiology and Immunobiology, University of Vienna, Max F Perutz Laboratories, Doktor Bohr Gasse 9, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Dev Cell 22:158-71. 2012..This Raf-1-mediated fine tuning of Rok-α signaling allows the activation of junctional myosin and the timely maturation of AJ essential for maintaining cell cohesion during sprouting angiogenesis...
- From autoinhibition to inhibition in trans: the Raf-1 regulatory domain inhibits Rok-alpha kinase activityThéodora Niault
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Center for Molecular Biology, University of Vienna, 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Cell Biol 187:335-42. 2009..Downstream of Ras and Rho, the Raf-1-Rok-alpha interaction represents a novel paradigm of pathway cross talk that contributes to tumorigenesis and cell motility...
- Targets of Raf in tumorigenesisThéodora S Niault
Center for Molecular Biology, Max F Perutz Laboratories, University of Vienna, Doktor Bohr Gasse 9, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Carcinogenesis 31:1165-74. 2010..This review focuses on old and new targets of Raf in tumorigenesis...
- Essential role of B-Raf in ERK activation during extraembryonic developmentGergana Galabova-Kovacs
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Vienna Biocenter, Dr Bohr Gasse 9, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:1325-30. 2006..The data demonstrate that B-Raf plays a nonredundant role in ERK activation during extraembyronic mammalian development in vivo...
- Deciphering signaling pathways in vivo: the Ras/Raf/MEK/ERK cascadeGergana Galabova-Kovacs
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Center for Molecular Biology of the University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Methods Mol Biol 661:421-31. 2010....
- A Mek1-Mek2 heterodimer determines the strength and duration of the Erk signalFederica Catalanotti
Max F Perutz Laboratories, University of Vienna, Doktor Bohr Gasse 9, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Nat Struct Mol Biol 16:294-303. 2009..Our data establish Mek1 as the crucial modulator of Mek and Erk signaling and have potential implications for the role of Mek1 and Mek2 in tumorigenesis...
- Raf-1 regulates Rho signaling and cell migrationKarin Ehrenreiter
Department of Microbiology and Genetics, Max F Perutz Laboratories, University Departments at the Vienna Biocenter, 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Cell Biol 168:955-64. 2005..Thus, Raf-1 plays an essential, kinase-independent function as a spatial regulator of Rho downstream signaling during migration...
- Raf-1 sets the threshold of Fas sensitivity by modulating Rok-alpha signalingDaniela Piazzolla
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Department of Microbiology and Immunobiology, Campus Vienna Biocenter, 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Cell Biol 171:1013-22. 2005..Thus, Raf-1 has an essential function in regulating Fas expression and setting the threshold of Fas sensitivity during embryonic life...
- Partner exchange: protein-protein interactions in the Raf pathwayReiner Wimmer
University of Vienna, Center for Molecular Biology, Max F Perutz Laboratories, Doktor Bohr Gasse 9, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Trends Biochem Sci 35:660-8. 2010..Given the roles of these interactions in tumorigenesis, their study will provide new opportunities for molecule-based therapies that target the pathway...
- Dephosphorylation of Ser-259 regulates Raf-1 membrane associationMarkus Kubicek
Department of Cell Biology and Microbiology, Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Vienna Biocenter, Dr Bohr Gasse 9, 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Biol Chem 277:7913-9. 2002....
- Raf-1 antagonizes erythroid differentiation by restraining caspase activationAndrea Kolbus
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Vienna Biocenter, 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Exp Med 196:1347-53. 2002..These results reveal an essential function of Raf-1 in erythropoiesis and demonstrate that the ability of Raf-1 to restrict caspase activation is biologically relevant in a context distinct from apoptosis...
- An old kinase on a new path: Raf and apoptosisManuela Baccarini
Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Vienna Biocenter, Dr Bohr Gasse 9, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Cell Death Differ 9:783-5. 2002
- Cardiac-specific disruption of the c-raf-1 gene induces cardiac dysfunction and apoptosisOsamu Yamaguchi
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan
J Clin Invest 114:937-43. 2004..The ablation of ASK1 rescued heart dysfunction and dilatation as well as cardiac fibrosis. These results indicate that Raf-1 promotes cardiomyocyte survival through a MEK/ERK-independent mechanism...
- Raf protects against colitis by promoting mouse colon epithelial cell survival through NF-kappaBKaren L Edelblum
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Gastroenterology 135:539-51. 2008..This study addresses the role of Raf in epithelial cell survival in response to dextran sulfate sodium (DSS)-induced injury and inflammation...
- Fibronectin-tissue transglutaminase matrix rescues RGD-impaired cell adhesion through syndecan-4 and beta1 integrin co-signalingDilek Telci
School of Life and Health Sciences, Aston University, Aston Triangle, Birmingham, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 283:20937-47. 2008....
- A balance between Raf-1 and Fas expression sets the pace of erythroid differentiationCristina Rubiolo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Gynecological Endocrinology and Reproductive Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Blood 108:152-9. 2006..These results identify Raf-1 and Fas as the key molecules whose expression finely tunes erythropoiesis and the extent of ERK activation as the switch that tips the balance between them...
- Role of the kinase MST2 in suppression of apoptosis by the proto-oncogene product Raf-1Eric O'Neill
The Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, Garscube Estate, Switchback Road, Glasgow G61 1BD, UK
Science 306:2267-70. 2004..Conversely, depletion of Raf-1 from Raf-1+/+ mouse or human cells led to MST2 activation and apoptosis. The concomitant depletion of both Raf-1 and MST2 prevented apoptosis...
- RASSF1A elicits apoptosis through an MST2 pathway directing proapoptotic transcription by the p73 tumor suppressor proteinDavid Matallanas
Signaling and Proteomics Laboratory, The Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, Garscube Estate, Switchback Road, Bearsden, Glasgow G61 1BD, UK
Mol Cell 27:962-75. 2007..Our results describe an MST2-dependent effector pathway for RASSF1A proapoptotic signaling and indicate that silencing of RASSF1A in tumors removes a proapoptotic signal emanating from p73...