- StÃ¶llberger C, Wegner C, Finsterer J. Fetal Ventricular Hypertrabeculation/Noncompaction: Clinical Presentation, Genetics, Associated Cardiac and Extracardiac Abnormalities and Outcome. Pediatr Cardiol. 2015;36:1319-26 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, fetal pathoanatomic findings like endocardial fibrosis might play a role in clarifying the still unsolved pathogenesis of LVHT. ..
- Stollberger C, Schneider B, Winkler Dworak M, Finsterer J. Prevention of embolic stroke by catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. Eur J Neurol. 2008;15:1419-20 pubmed publisher..We doubt if radiofrequency ablation prevents embolism in atrial fibrillation. ..
- Stollberger C, Blazek G, Winkler Dworak M, Finsterer J. [Sex differences in left ventricular noncompaction in patients with and without neuromuscular disorders]. Rev Esp Cardiol. 2008;61:130-6 pubmed..However, these did not affect clinical, neurologic, echocardiographic or electrocardiographic parameters, or prognosis. The higher prevalence of LVHT/NC in males remains unexplained. ..
- StÃ¶llberger C, Blazek G, Gessner M, Bichler K, Wegner C, Finsterer J. Neuromuscular comorbidity, heart failure, and atrial fibrillation as prognostic factors in left ventricular hypertrabeculation/noncompaction. Herz. 2015;40:906-11 pubmed publisher..0395). LVHT patients should undergo systematic neurological examinations. Whether an optimal therapy of heart failure and atrial fibrillation will improve the prognosis of LVHT patients needs to be addressed in further studies. ..
- StÃ¶llberger C, Finsterer J. Relevance of P-glycoprotein in stroke prevention with dabigatran, rivaroxaban, and apixaban. Herz. 2015;40 Suppl 2:140-5 pubmed publisher..In post-marketing surveillance of NOACs, the association with drug or food intake with complications, bleeding, and embolic events should be registered. ..
- Stollberger C, Winkler Dworak M, Blazek G, Finsterer J. Prognosis of left ventricular hypertrabeculation/noncompaction is dependent on cardiac and neuromuscular comorbidity. Int J Cardiol. 2007;121:189-93 pubmed..0648). The mortality of LVHT in adult patients depends on cardiac and neurologic comorbidity. Predictors for mortality are increased age, neuromuscular disorder, heart failure, left ventricular dilatation and systolic dysfunction. ..
- StÃ¶llberger C, Finsterer J. A Probable Life-Saving Switch from Apixaban to Phenprocoumon. Heart Surg Forum. 2015;18:E186-7 pubmed publisher..Switching from apixaban to phenprocoumon was probably life-saving. Vitamin-K-antagonists should be preferred to DOAC in patients with AF and vascular disease. ..
- Stollberger C, Finsterer J. Extracardiac medical and neuromuscular implications in restrictive cardiomyopathy. Clin Cardiol. 2007;30:375-80 pubmed..If extracardiac examinations do not reveal a plausible cause for RCMP, endomyocardial biopsy is indicated. ..
- Stollberger C, Finsterer J. Recurrent venous thrombosis under rivaroxaban and carbamazepine for symptomatic epilepsy. Neurol Neurochir Pol. 2017;51:194-196 pubmed publisher..There is an urgent need to increase our knowledge and physicians' awareness about the potential of drug-drug interactions of DOACs. ..
- StÃ¶llberger C, Finsterer J. Interactions between non-vitamin K oral anticoagulants and antiepileptic drugs. Epilepsy Res. 2016;126:98-101 pubmed publisher..This could be easily feasible and would be desirable in view of the large data already accumulated. ..
- Campean R, Hasun M, Stollberger C, Bucher J, Finsterer J, Schnack C, et al. Takotsubo-like syndrome triggered by fludrocortisone overdose for Addison's disease: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2016;10:281 pubmed..When hormone replacement in patients with Addison's disease is initiated, cardiac function should be monitored by electrocardiogram and echocardiography. ..
- Schuh T, Reichardt B, Finsterer J, Stollberger C. Age-dependency of prescribing patterns of oral anticoagulant drugs in Austria during 2011-2014. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2016;42:447-51 pubmed publisher..Since a randomized trial is rather unlikely in this specific age group we suggest subgroup analyses about octo-and nonagenarians, in case they have been included in previously completed or still ongoing trials or registries for OAC. ..
- Stollberger C, Finsterer J. Fatal consequences of climbing a ladder under apixaban and drunken. Neurol Neurochir Pol. 2016;50:200-2 pubmed publisher..Patients with recurrent falls or chronic alcohol abuse should not be considered as candidates for NOACs. If anticoagulation is deemed necessary, VKA with its potential for prompt reversibility should be favored. ..
- StÃ¶llberger C, Wegner C, Benatar A, Chin T, Dangel J, Majoor Krakauer D, et al. Postnatal Outcome of Fetal Left Ventricular Hypertrabeculation/Noncompaction. Pediatr Cardiol. 2016;37:919-24 pubmed publisher..Since fetal LVHT is frequently associated with genetic abnormalities, further research about survival and underlying genetic causes is needed. ..
- StÃ¶llberger C, SchÃ¤ffl Doweik L, Korn M, Finsterer J. Atrial fibrillation and stroke as initial manifestations of painless type A aortic dissection. Neurol Neurochir Pol. 2017;51:507-509 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, apart from imaging the aortic arch by computed tomography in acute stroke patients, the electrocardiogram may be indicative for aortic dissection if it shows signs for myocardial ischemia in previously healthy patients. ..
- Gündüz D, Lesjak A, Wiedemann A, Avanzini M, Winkler W, Ucar Altenberger H, et al. Acute coronary syndrome in immigrants and non-immigrants : Results of an Austrian prospective pilot study. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2017;129:900-905 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that the lower SES of immigrants compared with non-immigrants might contribute to the severity of coronary heart disease. ..
- Stollberger C, Blazek G, Winkler Dworak M, Finsterer J. Cardiac and neuromuscular implications of left bundle branch block in left ventricular hypertrabeculation/noncompaction. Can J Cardiol. 2009;25:e82-5 pubmed..Left bundle branch block (LBB) is frequently found in left ventricular hypertrabeculation/noncompaction (LVHT)...
- Stollberger C, Finsterer J, Schneider B. Transient left ventricular dysfunction (tako-tsubo phenomenon): Findings and potential pathophysiological mechanisms. Can J Cardiol. 2006;22:1063-8 pubmed..Beta-blockers are indicated, whereas catecholamines and nitrates should be avoided. The long-term prognosis is unknown...