Helmut H Popper
- Hypoxia increases membrane metallo-endopeptidase expression in a novel lung cancer ex vivo model - role of tumor stroma cellsKatharina Leithner
Division of Pulmonology, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 20, A 8036 Graz, Austria
BMC Cancer 14:40. 2014....
- Interstitial lung diseases-can pathologists arrive at an etiology-based diagnosis? A critical updateHelmut H Popper
Research Unit for Molecular Lung and Pleura Pathology, Institute of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 25, Graz, 8036, Austria
Virchows Arch 462:1-26. 2013..Also, underlying immune mechanisms will be discussed briefly as far as they are essential to understand the disease...
- [Histology-based algorithm in the molecular diagnosis of mutations of the Epidernal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) in non-small cell lung cancer]Helmut Popper
Institut fur Pathologie, Meduni Graz, Graz, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 123:316-21. 2011..This will markedly reduce waiting time for those patients, which most likely will have the greatest benefit from EGFR TKI therapy...
- Comparison of formalin-free tissue fixatives: a proteomic study testing their application for routine pathology and researchHannelore Kothmaier
Institute of Pathology, Research Unit for Molecular Lung and Pleura Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Austria
Arch Pathol Lab Med 135:744-52. 2011..Formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue is the routine processing method for diagnostics practiced in pathology departments worldwide...
- Atypical goblet cell hyperplasia in congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation as a possible preneoplasia for pulmonary adenocarcinoma in childhood: A genetic analysisElvira Stacher
Institute of Pathology, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Hum Pathol 35:565-70. 2004..This likely reflects an association with goblet cell differentiation, but it also drives proliferation in AGCH...
- Sarcomatoid carcinomas of the lung--are these histogenetically heterogeneous tumors?Markus Blaukovitsch
Laboratories for Molecular Cytogenetics, Environmental and Respiratory Tract Pathology, Institute of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 25, Graz, 8036, Austria
Virchows Arch 449:455-61. 2006..The Wnt-pathway was not deregulated because combined membrane and cytoplasmic reactivity for beta-catenin and GSK3beta was observed...
- Evaluation of formalin-free tissue fixation for RNA and microRNA studiesLisa Arzt
Institute of Pathology, Research Unit for Molecular Lung and Pleura Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 25, A 8036 Graz, Austria
Exp Mol Pathol 91:490-5. 2011..Similar results can be achieved for the tested fixatives and therefore no fixative seems to represent a new "gold-standard" for tissue fixation...
- Enhanced proliferation and decreased apoptosis in lung lavage cells of sarcoidosis patientsSusanna Petzmann
Institute of Pathology, Laboratories for Molecular Cytogenetics, Environmental and Respiratory Pathology, Graz, Austria
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 23:190-200. 2006..In the current investigation we compared the expression patterns between slow onset and acute sarcodosis using a whole-genome cDNA array...
- The VEGF-system in primary pulmonary angiosarcomas and haemangioendotheliomas: new potential therapeutic targets?Elvira Stacher
Department of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 25, Graz 8036, Austria
Lung Cancer 65:49-55. 2009..The observed positivity for the factors of the VEGF-signalling pathway points towards a possible new therapeutic option in the therapy of pulmonary vascular tumors by a blockade of the ligands or their receptors...
- Analysis of chromosome-11 aberrations in pulmonary and gastrointestinal carcinoids: an array comparative genomic hybridization-based studySusanna Petzmann
Institute of Pathology, Medical School Graz, Austria
Virchows Arch 445:151-9. 2004..The array CGH data were consistent with the data of a previously published classical CGH study and were additionally confirmed using fluorescence in situ hybridization in the present investigation...
- Chromosomal aberrations as detected by array comparative genomic hybridization in early low-grade intraepithelial neoplasias of the breastElvira Stacher
Institute of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Histopathology 59:549-55. 2011..Frequently, it occurs concomitantly with lobular intraepithelial neoplasia (LIN). We aimed to elucidate chromosomal aberrations in these early neoplastic breast lesions with the use of array comparative genomic hybridization analysis...
- Chromosomal alterations in low-grade endometrial stromal sarcoma and undifferentiated endometrial sarcoma as detected by comparative genomic hybridizationIris Halbwedl
Department of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 25, A 8036 Graz, Austria
Gynecol Oncol 97:582-7. 2005..The aim of the present study was to characterize the karyotypic abnormalities in these malignant mesenchymal tumors and to find specific chromosomal aberrations with eventual correlation with histologic grades...
- Nuclear and cytoplasmic death receptor 5 as prognostic factors in patients with non-small cell lung cancer treated with chemotherapyKatharina Leithner
Department of Pulmonology, University Clinic of Internal Medicine, Lung Cell Laboratory, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 20, Graz A 8036, Austria
Lung Cancer 65:98-104. 2009..Intracellular trafficking of TRAIL receptors has been described, but the role of the subcellular localization of TRAIL receptors in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) progression is unclear...
- Proteomics--tissue and protein microarrays and antibody array: what information is provided?Helmut H Popper
Laboratories for Molecular Genetics, Environmental and Respiratory Pathology, Institute of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Austria
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:1570-2. 2008
- Signal transducer and activator of transcription 1 (STAT1) acts like an oncogene in malignant pleural mesotheliomaLisa Arzt
Institute of Pathology, Research Unit for Molecular Lung and Pleurapathology, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 25, 8036, Graz, Austria
Virchows Arch 465:79-88. 2014..However, other regulatory mechanisms need to be investigated to clarify if lack of expression of SOCS1 is the only reason for sustained STAT1 expression in MPM. ..
- Automated evaluation and normalization of immunohistochemistry on tissue microarrays with a DNA microarray scannerWolfgang Haedicke
Oridis Biomed, Graz, Austria
Biotechniques 35:164-8. 2003..Therefore, DNA microarray scanners and associated image analysis software provide general and efficient analysis of tissue microarray immunostaining, including estimation of specific protein expression levels...
- Is high-grade adenomatous hyperplasia an early bronchioloalveolar adenocarcinoma?R Ullmann
Institute of Pathology, Laboratory for Molecular Genetics, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
J Pathol 201:371-6. 2003..In addition, in view of the monoclonal origin of multiple foci within the same patient, AAH may not be a precursor of AC in some cases, but rather may represent intraepithelial spread...
- BAP1 protein is a progression factor in malignant pleural mesotheliomaLisa Arzt
Institute of Pathology, Research Unit for Molecular Lung and Pleura Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 25, 8036, Graz, Austria
Pathol Oncol Res 20:145-51. 2014..Further investigations need to be performed to characterize the BAP1 mutations and to identify the BAP1 downstream targets in MPM...
- EGFR autophosphorylation but not protein score correlates with histologic and molecular subtypes in lung adenocarcinomaJudit Moldvay
Department of Pulmonology 2nd Department of Pathology, Semmelweis University National Korányi Institute of Pulmonology HAS SU Molecular Oncology Research Group, Budapest, Hungary Department of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Diagn Mol Pathol 22:204-9. 2013..Our data also indicate that EGFR mutation leads to EGFR autophosphorylation only in a small fraction of adenocarcinoma patients, which might have clinical significance. ..
- Bronchiolar columnar cell dysplasia--genetic analysis of a novel preneoplastic lesion of peripheral lungReinhard Ullmann
Laboratory of Molecular Cytogenetics, Institute of Pathology, Auenbruggerplatz 25, 8036, Graz, Austria
Virchows Arch 442:429-36. 2003..Summarizing our data from morphological and genetic analysis, we conclude that BCCD is a preneoplasia of the bronchiolar epithelium and most probably represents an additional precursor lesion of lung adenocarcinomas...
- Molecular signatures of lung and pleural tumors: joint symposium of the European Working Groups for Molecular Pathology and Pulmonary Pathology, 21st European Congress of PathologyHelmut H Popper
Institute of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Styria, Austria
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:1549-50. 2008
- Lung osteoma--a new benign lung lesionEva Markert
Institute of Pathology, Laboratories for Molecular Cytogenetics, Environmental and Pulmonary Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 25, Graz 8036, Austria
Virchows Arch 449:117-20. 2006..This tumor might have been induced by circulating stem cells; however, due to autologous bona marrow transplantation, this cannot be proven...
- Gorham-Stout syndrome in a male adolescent-case report and review of the literatureAndreas Pfleger
Respiratory and Allergic Disease Division, Institute of Pathology, Auenbruggerplatz 30, 8036 Graz, Styria, Austria
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 28:231-3. 2006..Treatment in 38 published cases is reviewed...
- Cytokeratin typing as an aid in the differential diagnosis of primary versus metastatic lung carcinomas, and comparison with normal lungMichael Scarpatetti
Institute of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Graz, Austria
Virchows Arch 440:70-6. 2002..CK polypeptide typing is thus an additional aid in the differential diagnosis of lung carcinomas versus carcinomas metastatic to the lung...
- Expression of sarcoidosis related genes in lung lavage cellsRene Thonhofer
Laboratories for Molecular Cytogenetics, Environmental and Respiratory Pathology, Institute of Pathology, Karl Franzens University of Graz, Austria
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 19:59-65. 2002..Mycobacterial DNA has been found in about 30% of sarcoidosis patients within the granulomas, which has been interpreted as a probable trigger mechanism...
- Pulmonary eosinophilic vasculitis in a neonate with congenital chylothoraxBernhard Resch
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital, Graz, Austria
Pediatr Pulmonol 33:501-4. 2002..Treatment with corticosteroids was successful, and after a prolonged clinical course the patient recovered by age 2 years...
- Diffuse pulmonary arteriovenous malformations in a teenager with corrected total anomalous pulmonary venous drainageAndreas Pfleger
Respiratory and Allergic Disease Division, Pediatric Department, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Respiration 74:106-9. 2007..Contrast transesophageal echocardiography, cardiac catheterization and a lung perfusion scan suggested, and lung biopsy confirmed the diagnosis in our patient. Treatment with nifedipin was commenced...