Affiliation: Medical University of Vienna
- Valent P, Sotlar K, Sperr W, Reiter A, Arock M, Horny H. Chronic mast cell leukemia: a novel leukemia-variant with distinct morphological and clinical features. Leuk Res. 2015;39:1-5 pubmed publisher..A recently proposed classification suggests that these cases are referred to as chronic MCL. In the present article, we discuss clinical, histopathological and morphological aspects of acute and chronic MCL. ..
- Niklas N, Hafenscher J, Barna A, Wiesinger K, PrÃ¶ll J, Dreiseitl S, et al. cFinder: definition and quantification of multiple haplotypes in a mixed sample. BMC Res Notes. 2015;8:422 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first software that enables researchers without extensive bioinformatic support to designate multiple haplotypes and how they constitute to a sample. ..
- Sadovnik I, Hoelbl Kovacic A, Herrmann H, Eisenwort G, Cerny Reiterer S, Warsch W, et al. Identification of CD25 as STAT5-Dependent Growth Regulator of Leukemic Stem Cells in Ph+ CML. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:2051-61 pubmed publisher..Moreover, CD25 serves as a growth regulator of CML LSCs, which may have biologic and clinical implications and may pave the way for the development of new more effective LSC-eradicating treatment strategies in CML. ..
- Schulenburg A, Blatt K, Cerny Reiterer S, Sadovnik I, Herrmann H, Marian B, et al. Cancer stem cells in basic science and in translational oncology: can we translate into clinical application?. J Hematol Oncol. 2015;8:16 pubmed publisher..In the current article, we discuss new developments in the field of CSC research and whether these new concepts can be exploited in clinical practice in the future. ..
- Valent P. Pathogenesis, classification, and therapy of eosinophilia and eosinophil disorders. Blood Rev. 2009;23:157-65 pubmed publisher..In a group of patients, oncogenic tyrosine kinases (TK) such as FIP1L1/PDGFRA, can be employed as therapeutic targets by using imatinib or other TK-blocking agents. ..
- Valent P, Bonnet D, Wohrer S, Andreeff M, Copland M, Chomienne C, et al. Heterogeneity of neoplastic stem cells: theoretical, functional, and clinical implications. Cancer Res. 2013;73:1037-45 pubmed publisher..More precise molecular understanding of the different stem cell states thus distinguished should contribute to the development of more effective prognostic and therapeutic tools for cancer diagnosis and treatment. ..
- Schneeweiss M, Peter B, Bibi S, Eisenwort G, Smiljkovic D, Blatt K, et al. The KIT and PDGFRA switch-control inhibitor DCC-2618 blocks growth and survival of multiple neoplastic cell types in advanced mastocytosis. Haematologica. 2018;103:799-809 pubmed publisher..Whether DCC-2618 is effective in vivo in patients with advanced systemic mastocytosis is currently under investigation in clinical trials. ..
- Almeida A, Prebet T, Itzykson R, Ramos F, Al Ali H, Shammo J, et al. Clinical Outcomes of 217 Patients with Acute Erythroleukemia According to Treatment Type and Line: A Retrospective Multinational Study. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..HMAs (10.5 vs. 13.7 months; p = 0.564), but patients with high-risk cytogenetics treated with HMA first-line lived longer (7.5 for ICT vs. 13.3 months; p = 0.039). Our results support the therapeutic value of HMA in AEL. ..
- Sadovnik I, Herrmann H, Eisenwort G, Blatt K, Hoermann G, Mueller N, et al. Expression of CD25 on leukemic stem cells in BCR-ABL1+ CML: Potential diagnostic value and functional implications. Exp Hematol. 2017;51:17-24 pubmed publisher..In addition, it has been shown that CD25 serves as a negative growth regulator of CML LSCs. Here, we review the value of CD25 as a novel marker and potential drug target in CML LSCs. ..
- Valent P, Akin C, Arock M, Brockow K, Butterfield J, Carter M, et al. Definitions, criteria and global classification of mast cell disorders with special reference to mast cell activation syndromes: a consensus proposal. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2012;157:215-25 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the MCAS concept should stimulate research in order to identify and exploit new molecular mechanisms and therapeutic targets. ..
- Pleyer L, Valent P, Greil R. Mesenchymal Stem and Progenitor Cells in Normal and Dysplastic Hematopoiesis-Masters of Survival and Clonality?. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..The current article also reviews molecular targets that play a role in such cellular interactions and possibilities to interfere with abnormal stem cell niche interactions by using specific targeted drugs. ..
- Valent P, Akin C, Hartmann K, Nilsson G, Reiter A, Hermine O, et al. Advances in the Classification and Treatment of Mastocytosis: Current Status and Outlook toward the Future. Cancer Res. 2017;77:1261-1270 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(6); 1261-70. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Valent P, Klion A, Horny H, Roufosse F, Gotlib J, Weller P, et al. Contemporary consensus proposal on criteria and classification of eosinophilic disorders and related syndromes. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012;130:607-612.e9 pubmed publisher..The proposed novel criteria, definitions, and terminologies should assist in daily practice, as well as in the preparation and conduct of clinical trials. ..
- Rommer A, Steinleitner K, Hackl H, Schneckenleithner C, Engelmann M, Scheideler M, et al. Overexpression of primary microRNA 221/222 in acute myeloid leukemia. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:364 pubmed publisher..Expression of some miRNAs is strongly regulated at the posttranscriptional level in AML. Pri-miR-221/222 represents a novel molecular marker and putative oncogene in this disease. ..
- Blatt K, Herrmann H, Hoermann G, Willmann M, Cerny Reiterer S, Sadovnik I, et al. Identification of campath-1 (CD52) as novel drug target in neoplastic stem cells in 5q-patients with MDS and AML. Clin Cancer Res. 2014;20:3589-602 pubmed publisher..CD52 is a novel prognostic NSC marker and a potential NSC target in a subset of patients with MDS and AML, which may have clinical implications and may explain clinical effects produced by alemtuzumab in these patients. ..
- Valent P, Gleich G, Reiter A, Roufosse F, Weller P, Hellmann A, et al. Pathogenesis and classification of eosinophil disorders: a review of recent developments in the field. Expert Rev Hematol. 2012;5:157-76 pubmed publisher..In addition, we discuss classifications of eosinophil disorders and related syndromes as well as diagnostic algorithms and standard treatment for various eosinophil-related disorders. ..
- Valent P, Dahinden C. Role of interleukins in the regulation of basophil development and secretion. Curr Opin Hematol. 2010;17:60-6 pubmed publisher..Some of the affected cytokine cascades, receptors, and signal transduction molecules may serve as targets of therapy in 'basophil activation disorders' in the future. ..
- Valent P, Akin C, Arock M, Bock C, George T, Galli S, et al. Proposed Terminology and Classification of Pre-Malignant Neoplastic Conditions: A Consensus Proposal. EBioMedicine. 2017;26:17-24 pubmed publisher..This proposal should assist in the communication among patients, physicians and scientists, which is critical as genome-sequencing will soon be offered widely for early cancer-detection. ..