Affiliation: Medical University of Graz
- [Metabolic syndrome--a high cardiovascular risk?]Hermann Toplak
Ambulanz für Diabetes und Stoffwechsel, Medizinische Universitatsklinik, Leopold Auenbrugger Universität, Auenbruggerplatz 15, 8036 Graz, Osterreich
Acta Med Austriaca 31:63-6. 2004..We suggest that the risk should be evaluated in the context of body mass index (BMI) and especially of waist circumference which could be THE central intervention factor in the treatment of our patients...
- X-PERT: weight reduction with orlistat in obese subjects receiving a mildly or moderately reduced-energy diet: early response to treatment predicts weight maintenanceH Toplak
Department of Medicine, Medical University, Graz, Austria
Diabetes Obes Metab 7:699-708. 2005..To determine the effect of two different levels of energy deficit on weight loss in obese patients treated with orlistat...
- Efficacy and safety of topiramate in combination with metformin in the treatment of obese subjects with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyH Toplak
Department of Medicine, Institute for Diabetes and Metabolism, Medical University, Graz, Austria
Int J Obes (Lond) 31:138-46. 2007..To investigate the efficacy and safety of topiramate in obese subjects with type 2 diabetes treated with metformin...
- Evaluation of a new DNA test compared with the lactose hydrogen breath test for the diagnosis of lactase non-persistenceChristoph Hogenauer
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Austria
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:371-6. 2005..We therefore compared the value of DNA testing for this variant (DNA test) with the lactose hydrogen breath test (H2 test), which is the clinical standard for the diagnosis of lactase non-persistence...
- A pilot study of mobile phone-based therapy for obese patientsJuergen Morak
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Division of E health Systems, Austrian Research Centers GmbH ARC, Graz, Austria
J Telemed Telecare 14:147-9. 2008..The pilot study showed that mobile phones can be utilized as patient terminals for therapy in patients suffering from obesity...
- Treatment modalities of obesity: what fits whom?Vojtech Hainer
Institute of Endocrinology, Narodni 8, 116 94 Prague 1, Czech Republic
Diabetes Care 31:S269-77. 2008..Centers of excellence in obesity management represented by multidisciplinary teams should provide comprehensive programs for the treatment of obesity derived from evidence-based medicine...
- Effects of orlistat therapy on plasma concentrations of oxygenated and hydrocarbon carotenoidsIsabella Sundl
Human Nutrition and Metabolism Research and Training Center Graz, Institute of Molecular Biosciences, Karl Franzens University, 8010 Graz, Austria
Lipids 41:113-8. 2006..In conclusion, even though weight loss was not significant, orlistat therapy was associated with significant decreases in plasma concentrations of the highly lipophilic hydrocarbon carotenoids, alpha- and beta-carotene...