N D Kapusta
Affiliation: Medical University of Vienna
- Geospatial examination of lithium in drinking water and suicide mortalityMarco Helbich
Institute of Geography, University of Heidelberg, Berliner Strasse 48, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Health Geogr 11:19. 2012..This study examined whether natural lithium content in drinking water is regionally associated with lower suicide rates...
- Forty years of increasing suicide mortality in Poland: undercounting amidst a hanging epidemic?Peter Hofer
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
BMC Public Health 12:644. 2012..Suicide rate trends for Poland, one of the most populous countries in Europe, are not well documented. Moreover, the quality of the official Polish suicide statistics is unknown and requires in-depth investigation...
- [Suicides in Austria: update on present state and recent trends]Nestor Kapusta
Universitätsklinik für Psychoanalyse und Psychotherapie, Medizinische Universität Wien, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090, Wien, Osterreich
Neuropsychiatr 26:103-5. 2012..Studies show that suicide rates are more common in rural than in urban areas and are associated with socio-economic factors. Nationwide prevention efforts should keep these epidemiological aspects in mind...
- Suicide and unintentional poisoning mortality trends in the United States, 1987-2006: two unrelated phenomena?Ian R H Rockett
Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
BMC Public Health 10:705. 2010..We compare suicide and poisoning mortality trends over two decades in a preliminary assessment of their independence and implications for suicide misclassification...
- Race/ethnicity and potential suicide misclassification: window on a minority suicide paradox?Ian R H Rockett
Department of Community Medicine and the Injury Control Research Center, PO Box 9190 West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506, USA
BMC Psychiatry 10:35. 2010..Analysis of this leading public health problem is complicated by undercounting. Despite persisting socioeconomic and health disparities, non-Hispanic Blacks and Hispanics register suicide rates less than half that of non-Hispanic Whites...
- Does breath carbon monoxide measure nicotine dependence?Nestor D Kapusta
Department of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Addict Dis 29:493-9. 2010..The study demonstrates exhaled carbon monoxide as a useful marker of smoking status but not of nicotine dependence...
- Availability of mental health service providers and suicide rates in Austria: a nationwide studyNestor D Kapusta
Department of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, Vienna 1090, Austria
Psychiatr Serv 61:1198-203. 2010..This small-area analysis examined whether the availability of professionals providing mental health treatment in Austria had an effect on regional suicide rates...
- Characteristics of police officer suicides in the Federal Austrian Police CorpsN D Kapusta
Department of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, Vienna, Austria
Crisis 31:265-71. 2010..Suicide rates among police officers may be high because of strong occupational stressors...
- Lithium in drinking water and suicide mortalityNestor D Kapusta
Medical University of Vienna, Department for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Br J Psychiatry 198:346-50. 2011..There is some evidence that natural levels of lithium in drinking water may have a protective effect on suicide mortality...
- Declining autopsy rates and suicide misclassification: a cross-national analysis of 35 countriesNestor D Kapusta
Department for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Arch Gen Psychiatry 68:1050-7. 2011..Suicides are prone to misclassification during death ascertainment procedures. This problem has generated frequent criticism of the validity of suicide mortality statistics...
- Epidemiology of substance use in a representative sample of 18-year-old malesNestor D Kapusta
Department of Psychiatry, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Alcohol Alcohol 41:188-92. 2006....
- Influence of psychotherapist density and antidepressant sales on suicide ratesN D Kapusta
Department of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Acta Psychiatr Scand 119:236-42. 2009..Antidepressant sales and suicide rates have been shown to be correlated in industrialized countries. The aim was to study the possible effects of psychotherapy utilization on suicide rates...
- Firearm legislation reform in the European Union: impact on firearm availability, firearm suicide and homicide rates in AustriaNestor D Kapusta
Medical University of Vienna, Department of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Br J Psychiatry 191:253-7. 2007..The availability of firearms in homes and at aggregate levels is a risk factor for suicide and homicide. One method of reducing access to suicidal means is the restriction of firearm availability through more stringent legislation...
- Multiple substance use among young malesNestor D Kapusta
Department of Psychiatry, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 86:306-11. 2007..We found that increasing levels of nicotine dependence were related to higher levels of alcohol abuse and dependence. Furthermore, higher levels of nicotine dependence were associated with elevated levels of recent cannabinoid use...
- Trends in suicide rates of the elderly in Austria, 1970-2004: an analysis of changes in terms of age groups, suicide methods and genderNestor D Kapusta
Medical University of Vienna, Center for Public Health, Institute of Medical Psychology, Vienna, Austria, and Furtbach Hospital for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Stuttgart, Germany
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 22:438-44. 2007..In order to assess possible approaches to prevention strategies, this study examines high-risk groups of the elderly...
- Rural-urban differences in Austrian suicidesNestor D Kapusta
Department of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:311-8. 2008..The most recent decade, 1995-2005 was also investigated cross-sectionally in terms of age groups, gender, suicide methods and family status...
- Inpatient treatment of major depression in Austria between 1989 and 2009: impact of downsizing of psychiatric hospitals on admissions, suicide rates and outpatient psychiatric servicesB Vyssoki
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Affect Disord 133:93-6. 2011..Little is known about how restructuring of mental health services affected patients with major depression and suicide rates...
- Suicide among Viennese minors, 1946-2002Kanita Dervic
Department of Child and Adolescent Neuropsychiatry, University Hospital, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:152-9. 2006..We investigated cases of suicide among Viennese minors over a period of 57 years in terms of prevalence, gender differences, suicide methods and monthly distribution...
- Suicidal ideation among Viennese high school studentsKanita Dervic
Department of Child and Adolescent Neuropsychiatry, University Hospital, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 119:174-80. 2007..We assessed the prevalence of lifetime suicidal ideation and associated psychosocial factors among Viennese high school students...
- Can media effects counteract legislation reforms? The case of adolescent firearm suicides in the wake of the Austrian firearm legislationThomas Niederkrotenthaler
Department of Medical Psychology, Center for Public Health, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Adolesc Health 44:90-3. 2009..A temporary increase in firearm suicides after the reform was observed, followed by a continuous decrease. The hypothesis that media reporting triggered the short-term backlash effect is discussed...
- Not carried away by a moonlight shadow: no evidence for associations between suicide occurrence and lunar phase among more than 65,000 suicide cases in Austria, 1970-2006Martin Voracek
Department of Basic Psychological Research, School of Psychology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 120:343-9. 2008..This study investigated lunar effects on one particular outcome (completed suicide) for which the literature appears unsettled, owing to some recent reports with positive findings...
- [The psychic structure of chronic pain patients]Melitta Fischer-Kern
Universitätsklinik für Psychoanalyse und Psychotherapie, Medizinische Universität Wien, A 1090 Wien
Z Psychosom Med Psychother 56:34-46. 2010..The study investigates the psychic structure and psychiatric comorbidity of chronic pain patients according to Kernberg's concept of personality organization...
- Copycat effects after media reports on suicide: a population-based ecologic studyThomas Niederkrotenthaler
Medical University of Vienna, Center for Public Health, Department of Medical Psychology, Severingasse 9, Vienna, Austria
Soc Sci Med 69:1085-90. 2009..Evidence of copycat effects seemed to be strongest in suicides that were similar to the respective model with regard to age group, sex, and suicide method...
- [The capacity for mentalization in depressive patients: a pilot study]Melitta Fischer-Kern
Universitätsklinik für Psychoanalyse und Psychotherapie, Medizinische Universität Wien
Z Psychosom Med Psychother 54:368-80. 2008..Mentalization has been primarily investigated in Borderline Personality Disorders. This pilot study takes the first step toward investigating mentalization in depressive patients...
- The gap between suicide characteristics in the print media and in the populationThomas Niederkrotenthaler
Institute for Medical Psychology, Center for Public Health, Medical University of Vienna, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Eur J Public Health 19:361-4. 2009..Programmes to educate media professionals about suicide are increasingly established, but information about which suicide cases are most likely to be reported in the mass media is sparse...
- Suicide by shooting is correlated to rate of gun licenses in Austrian countiesElmar Etzersdorfer
Furtbachkrankenhaus, Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Stuttgart, Deutschland
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:464-8. 2006....
- Aripiprazole-induced psychosis: a case report of reexposure by stepwise up-titrationNestor D Kapusta
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1445-6. 2007