Affiliation: Medical University of Graz
- Evaluation of a new DNA test compared with the lactose hydrogen breath test for the diagnosis of lactase non-persistenceChristoph Hogenauer
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Austria
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:371-6. 2005..We therefore compared the value of DNA testing for this variant (DNA test) with the lactose hydrogen breath test (H2 test), which is the clinical standard for the diagnosis of lactase non-persistence...
- Klebsiella oxytoca as a causative organism of antibiotic-associated hemorrhagic colitisChristoph Hogenauer
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
N Engl J Med 355:2418-26. 2006..Antibiotic-associated hemorrhagic colitis is a distinct form of antibiotic-associated colitis in which Clostridium difficile is absent. Although the cause is not known, previous reports have suggested a role of Klebsiella oxytoca...
- Cytotoxic effects of Klebsiella oxytoca strains isolated from patients with antibiotic-associated hemorrhagic colitis or other diseases caused by infections and from healthy subjectsMartina M Joainig
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
J Clin Microbiol 48:817-24. 2010..The ability to induce disease after antibiotic treatment most likely represents an overgrowth of the toxin-producing bacterium due to an alteration of the normal colonic microflora...
- Role of Klebsiella oxytoca in antibiotic-associated diarrheaInes Zollner-Schwetz
Section of Infectious Diseases, Division of Pulmonology, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Clin Infect Dis 47:e74-8. 2008..Because it is unclear whether K. oxytoca also causes nonhemorrhagic antibiotic-associated diarrhea, our study investigated a possible association between K. oxytoca and that disorder...
- Manifestations of juvenile polyposis syndrome in SMAD4 mutation carriers of a kindredVerena Schwetz
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 15, Graz, Austria
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:988-94. 2012..Interestingly, the manifestations and their severity differed considerably between the patients, suggesting secondary factors influencing JPS manifestations such as Helicobacter pylori infection...
- Antibiotic-associated hemorrhagic colitis caused by cytotoxin-producing Klebsiella oxytocaK Martin Hoffmann
Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Medical University Graz, Austria, Auenbruggerplatz 30, A 8036 Graz, Austria
Pediatrics 125:e960-3. 2010..Establishing the diagnosis of AAHC by culturing K oxytoca and demonstrating right-sided colitis with noninvasive imaging studies might prevent unnecessary invasive procedures in children with bloody diarrhea...
- Pneumatosis coli--an underrecognized lesion mimicking neoplastic diseaseKarin Amrein
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University Graz, Graz, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 123:515-8. 2011..Accurate diagnosis, which is mainly based upon endoscopy, computed tomography and histology, is crucial for optimal patient management thus avoiding unnecessary surgical procedures...
- Alterations in the colonic microbiota in response to osmotic diarrheaGregor Gorkiewicz
Institute of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
PLoS ONE 8:e55817. 2013..Whether dysbiosis is due to the disease itself or to the accompanying diarrhea remains elusive. With this study we characterized the net effects of osmotic diarrhea on the composition of the GI microbiota in the absence of disease...
- Juvenile polyposis of the stomach causing recurrent upper gastrointestinal bleedingAlexandra Winkler
Institute of Pathology, Medical University Graz, Graz, Austria
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:87-90. 2007..Thus, although rare, the disease has to be considered in the differential diagnosis of patients with acute upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding...
- Complete remission of a metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumour with the tyrosine kinase inhibitor imatinib (STI 571): effect of low dosage in an advanced tumour with exon 11 mutationChristoph Hogenauer
Department of Internal Medicine, Karl Franzens University, Graz, Austria
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15:323-7. 2003..No serious side effects were seen with imatinib. A 21 bp, exon 11, in-frame mutation of the c-kit gene was found by DNA sequence analysis of tumour tissue...
- Diarrhea in the immunocompromised patientElisabeth Krones
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 41:677-701. 2012..It also deals with diarrhea in specific situations, eg, after hematopoietic stem cell or solid organ transplantation, diarrhea induced by immunosuppressive drugs, and diarrhea in congenital immunodeficiency syndromes...
- Impact of experimental colitis on hepatobiliary transporter expression and bile duct injury in miceJörg Jahnel
Laboratory of Experimental and Molecular Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medical University Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 15, Graz, Austria
Liver Int 29:1316-25. 2009..We hypothesized that colitis induces changes in bile composition via inflammation-induced reduction of hepatobiliary transporter gene expression, ultimately resulting in cholestasis and bile duct injury...