Affiliation: Medical University of Vienna
- Prevalence of self-reported neuropathic pain and impact on quality of life: a prospective representative surveyB Gustorff
Department of Anesthesiology and General Intensive Care Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 52:132-6. 2008..Data on the incidence of neuropathic pain (NeP) in Austria, its general characteristics and consequences for the quality of life (QOL) are still lacking. The prevalence in the United Kingdom is 8%...
- Antihyperalgesic efficacy of 5% lidocaine medicated plaster in capsaicin and sunburn pain models--two randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled crossover trials in healthy volunteersBurkhard Gustorff
Medical University of Vienna, Department of Anesthesia, Intensive Care Medicine and Pain Therapy, Vienna Human Pain Research Group, Wilhelminenspital, Montleartstrasse 37, A 1160 Vienna, Austria
Expert Opin Pharmacother 12:2781-90. 2011..The aim of this research is to analyze analgesic efficacy of the 5% lidocaine medicated plaster in two randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, crossover studies in 16 healthy volunteers using capsaicin and sunburn pain models...
- Intravenous opioid testing in patients with chronic non-cancer painBurkhard Gustorff
Department of Anaesthesia and General Intensive Care Medicine B, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A1090 Vienna, Austria
Eur J Pain 9:123-5. 2005..Thus the complete remifentanil testing procedure required at utmost 1 h. In conclusion, remifentanil testing offers a more rapid procedure allowing the routine use in an ambulatory setting...
- The effects of remifentanil and gabapentin on hyperalgesia in a new extended inflammatory skin pain model in healthy volunteersBurkhard Gustorff
Department of Anesthesia and General Intensive Care Medicine B, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 98:401-7, table of contents. 2004..IMPLICATIONS: Opioid analgesia was reliably demonstrated in a new inflammatory model of primary and secondary hyperalgesia. Gabapentin showed no antihyperalgesic and no opioid-enhancing effect in this model...
- Rofecoxib attenuates both primary and secondary inflammatory hyperalgesia: a randomized, double blinded, placebo controlled crossover trial in the UV-B pain modelThomas Sycha
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Vienna, Währinger Gürtel 18 20 A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Pain 113:316-22. 2005..We confirm that the effect of single oral dose of rofecoxib plateaus at 50 mg...
- A lack of antinociceptive or antiinflammatory effect of botulinum toxin A in an inflammatory human pain modelThomas Sycha
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 102:509-16. 2006..Furthermore, despite highly promising data from animal research, we have not observed antiinflammatory or antinociceptive effects of BoNT/A in human inflammatory pain...
- TENS relieves acute posttraumatic hip pain during emergency transportThomas Lang
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Trauma 62:184-8; discussion 188. 2007..Thus, there is an urgent need for nonpharmacological interventions that can be applied during the transport by basic life-support (BLS) medical personnel...
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation reduces acute low back pain during emergency transportAlexander Bertalanffy
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Acad Emerg Med 12:607-11. 2005..Patients with acute low back pain may require emergency transport because of pain and immobilization. Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) is a nonpharmaceutical therapy for patients with low back pain...
- Lack of analgesia by oral standardized cannabis extract on acute inflammatory pain and hyperalgesia in volunteersBirgit Kraft
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine A, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Anesthesiology 109:101-10. 2008..Therefore, the aim of this study was to investigate the effects of oral cannabis extract in two different human models of acute inflammatory pain and hyperalgesia...
- Active warming during emergency transport relieves acute low back painMartin Nuhr
Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:1499-503. 2004..Prospective randomized blinded trial in a prehospital emergency system...
- The sunburn pain model: the stability of primary and secondary hyperalgesia over 10 hours in a crossover settingBurkhard Gustorff
Department of Anesthesia and General Intensive Care Medicine B, University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 98:173-7, table of contents. 2004..IMPLICATIONS: The sunburn pain model provides a long time course of stable hyperalgesia with a high within-day stability and between-day repeatability for primary and secondary hyperalgesia...
- Capnography in non-tracheally intubated emergency patients as an additional tool in pulse oximetry for prehospital monitoring of respirationAlexander Kober
Vienna Red Cross, Van Swieten and the Research Institute of the Vienna Red Cross, Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 98:206-10, table of contents. 2004..We consequently recommend the use of capnography on transport as an additional monitoring tool to reduce periods lacking supervision of the vital variables...
- The impact of socio-economic status on pain and the perception of disability due to painThomas E Dorner
Institute of Social Medicine, Centre for Public Health, Medical University of Vienna, Rooseveltplatz 3, Vienna, Austria
Eur J Pain 15:103-9. 2011..83 (95% CI, 1.40-2.41) in terms of income and 2.05 (95% CI, 1.32-3.19) in terms of profession. This unexplained socio-economic gradient contributes to the confirmation of the social component in a bio-psycho-social model of pain...
- The anxiolytic effect of pregabalin in outpatients undergoing minor orthopaedic surgeryChristopher Gonano
Department of Anaesthesiology, General Intensive Care and Pain Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Psychopharmacol 25:249-53. 2011....
- The pattern and time course of somatosensory changes in the human UVB sunburn model reveal the presence of peripheral and central sensitizationBurkhard Gustorff
Vienna Human Pain Research Group, Department of Anaesthesia, General Intensive Care Medicine and Pain Control, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Pain 154:586-97. 2013....
- Local active warming: an effective treatment for pain, anxiety and nausea caused by renal colicAlexander Kober
Departments of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, General Hospital, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Urol 170:741-4. 2003..Based on previous studies showing that warming decreases trauma pain in emergency care we hypothesized that local active warming of the abdomen and lower back region could decrease pain in acute renal colic cases during emergency transport...
- The absence of acute tolerance during remifentanil infusion in volunteersBurkhard Gustorff
Department of Anesthesia, Vienna General Hospital, University of Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 94:1223-8, table of contents. 2002..In conclusion, no development of acute opioid tolerance was observed during constant remifentanil infusion of 3 h in volunteers...
- Inhibition of platelet function by hydroxyethyl starch solutions in chronic pain patients undergoing peridural anesthesiaGisela Scharbert
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 99:823-7, table of contents. 2004..Because hemostasiological competence is a prerequisite for safe neuraxial blockade, the decision of HES for intravascular fluid administration before blockade should be critically made...
- A simple pain model for the evaluation of analgesic effects of NSAIDs in healthy subjectsThomas Sycha
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Institute of Medical Physics, Vienna University School of Medicine, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Br J Clin Pharmacol 56:165-72. 2003..We evaluated an experimental pain model for NSAIDs, that included an inflammatory component to mimic clinical inflammatory pain conditions...
- Gabapentin: the first preemptive anti-hyperalgesic for opioid withdrawal hyperalgesia?Burkhard Gustorff
Anesthesiology 98:1520-1; author reply 1521-2. 2003
- Auricular acupressure as a treatment for anxiety in prehospital transport settingsAlexander Kober
Department of Anesthesiology and General Intensive Care, University Hospital of Vienna, Austria
Anesthesiology 98:1328-32. 2003..The purpose of this prospective, randomized, blinded study was to determine whether auricular acupressure can reduce stress and anxiety during ambulance transport...
- The influence of local active warming on pain relief of patients with cholelithiasis during rescue transportAlexander Kober
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, University of Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 96:1447-52, table of contents. 2003..01). We conclude that local active warming is an effective and easy-to-learn treatment for pain resulting from acute cholelithiasis in emergency care...
- Korean hand acupressure for motion sickness in prehospital trauma care: a prospective, randomized, double-blinded trial in a geriatric populationPetra Bertalanffy
Department of Anaesthesiology and General Intensive Care, University Hospital of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 98:220-3, table of contents. 2004..Neither group experienced a significant change in blood pressure. K-K9 stimulation was an effective and simple treatment for nausea during emergency care and significantly improved patient satisfaction...
- Anaesthesia for brachytherapyBernhard Roessler
Department of Anaesthesia, General Intensive Care and Pain Therapy, Austria
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 21:514-8. 2008..Transportation of anaesthetized patients is a typical challenge. This review gives information about anaesthesia techniques in brachytherapy on the basis of the literature and the authors' experiences...
- Sonographic localization of an implanted infusion pump injection port: another useful application of ultrasound in pain medicineManfred Greher
Anesthesiology 102:243. 2005