Affiliation: Medical University of Vienna
- Update on diagnosis and management of essential thrombocythemiaHeinz Gisslinger
Department of Internal Medicine I, Division of Hematology and Blood Coagulation, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Semin Thromb Hemost 32:430-6. 2006..The combination of anagrelide with acetylsalicylic acid may be contraindicated in patients with a history of bleeding...
- Anagrelide compared with hydroxyurea in WHO-classified essential thrombocythemia: the ANAHYDRET Study, a randomized controlled trialHeinz Gisslinger
Medical University of Vienna, Department of Internal Medicine I, Division of Hematology and Blood Coagulation, Vienna, Austria
Blood 121:1720-8. 2013..This trial was registered at http://www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT01065038...
- Complex patterns of chromosome 11 aberrations in myeloid malignancies target CBL, MLL, DDB1 and LMO2Thorsten Klampfl
CeMM Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna, Austria
PLoS ONE 8:e77819. 2013..Our chromosome-centered analysis indicates that chromosome 11 contains a number of tumor suppressor genes and that the role of this chromosome in myeloid malignancies is more complex than previously recognized. ..
- Plasma levels of P-selectin are determined by platelet turn-over and the P-selectin Thr715Pro polymorphismSimon Panzer
Clinic for Blood Group Serology, Department of Internal Medicine I, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Thromb Res 121:573-9. 2008..Plasma levels of soluble P-selectin (sP-selectin) are often used to demonstrate platelet activation...
- Autologous stem-cell transplantation in progressing amyloidosis is associated with severe transplant-related toxicityNina Worel
Department of Bloodgroup Serology and Transfusion Medicine, Vienna Medical University, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:49-53. 2006....
- Continuous complete clinical and molecular remission in two patients with refractory lymphoid malignancies after autografting followed by allogeneic stem cell transplantation with reduced intensity conditioningMargit Mitterbauer
Department of Medicine I, Bone Marrow Transplantation, University Hospital of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Br J Haematol 118:132-5. 2002..Both patients achieved sustained complete haematological and molecular remission of the immunoglobulin kappa light chain (Igkappa) rearrangement and are alive and well 17 and 16 months after SCT respectively...
- High spontaneous granulocyte/macrophage-colony formation in patients with myelofibrosisVerena Hauer
5th Department of Internal Medicine Oncology Hematology, Hospital Hietzing, Vienna, Austria
Leuk Res 38:116-20. 2014..Spontaneous CFU-GM growth >100/10(5) PBMNC predicted shorter survival. Constitutive release of GM-CSF seems to contribute to proliferation of MF cells in vitro and possibly in vivo. ..
- High expression of cereblon (CRBN) is associated with improved clinical response in patients with multiple myeloma treated with lenalidomide and dexamethasoneDaniel Heintel
Department of Internal Medicine I, Center for Oncology and Haematology, Wilhelminenspital, Vienna, Austria
Br J Haematol 161:695-700. 2013..CRBN expression is closely associated with IRF4, which is an important target of IMiD therapy...
- Clinical significance of genetic aberrations in secondary acute myeloid leukemiaJelena D Milosevic
CeMM Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna, Austria
Am J Hematol 87:1010-6. 2012..Somatic mutations in TP53 are the only independent adverse prognostic factor in sAML. Patients with dnAML and complex karyotype show genetic features associated with sAML and myeloproliferative neoplasms...
- Leukocytosis as an important risk factor for arterial thrombosis in WHO-defined early/prefibrotic myelofibrosis: an international study of 264 patientsVeronika Buxhofer-Ausch
Division of Hematology and Blood Coagulation, Department of Internal Medicine I, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Am J Hematol 87:669-72. 2012..027, HR 0.19). Moreover, a lower hemoglobin level was associated with an increased risk for venous thrombosis (P = 0.007, HR 0.59). Our data indicate that leukocytosis is a prominent risk factor for thrombosis in early/prefibrotic MF...
- Therapy strategies for multiple myeloma: current statusHeinz Gisslinger
Division of Haematology and Blood Coagulation, Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 115:451-61. 2003..New generations of bisphosphonates show potent antitumor activity, again emphasising the importance of targeting the microenvironment of the plasma-cell clone...
- Continuous prednisolone versus conventional prednisolone with VMCP-interferon-alpha2b as first-line chemotherapy in elderly patients with multiple myelomaHeinz Ludwig
Department of Medicine and Medical Oncology, Wilhelminenspital, Vienna, Austria
Br J Haematol 131:329-37. 2005..In conclusion, continuing prednisolone treatment during the entire duration of the induction phase with VMCP-IFN-alpha 2b did not improve outcome...
- Thalidomide-dexamethasone compared with melphalan-prednisolone in elderly patients with multiple myelomaHeinz Ludwig
Department of Medicine I, Wilhelminenspital Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Blood 113:3435-42. 2009..5 vs 49.4 months; P= .024). Toxicity was higher with TD, particularly in patients older than 75 years with poor performance status. The study was registered at ClinicalTrials.gov as NCT00205751...
- Circulating hematopoietic progenitor cells predict survival in patients with myelofibrosis with myeloid metaplasiaVerena Sagaster
Department of Internal Medicine I, Division of Hematology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Haematologica 88:1204-12. 2003..The levels of circulating hematopoietic progenitor cells are often increased in myelofibrosis with myeloid metaplasia (MMM). The prognostic relevance of this phenomenon is largely unknown...
- Age and hemoglobin level emerge as most important clinical prognostic parameters in patients with osteomyelofibrosis: introduction of a simplified prognostic scoreKathrin Strasser-Weippl
First Medical Department with Medical Oncology, Wilhelminen Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Leuk Lymphoma 47:441-50. 2006..This is in contrast to previous prognostic scores, in which the poor prognosis group was often very small and/or could not be consistently differentiated from patients with an intermediate prognosis...
- High dose intermittent ARA-C (HiDAC) for consolidation of patients with de novo AML: a single center experienceAlexandra Bohm
Department of Internal Medicine I, Division of Hematology and Hemostaseology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Leuk Res 29:609-15. 2005..The median overall- and disease-free survival were 19.3 and 11.3 months, respectively. The best outcome was seen in patients aged <40 years. These results confirm that HiDAC is a safe and effective consolidation in AML...
- Elevated plasma osteoprotegerin levels are associated with venous thrombosis and bleeding in patients with polycythemia veraMathias Kees
Medical University Vienna, Department of Internal Medicine I, Division of Hematology and Blood Coagulation, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Thromb Haemost 93:70-5. 2005..017). This is the first report that links the occurrence of venous thrombosis or bleeding to elevated OPG levels...
- Anagrelide for thrombocytosis in myeloproliferative disorders: a prospective study to assess efficacy and adverse event profileMichael Steurer
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Medical University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Cancer 101:2239-46. 2004..In the current study, the authors evaluated the efficacy and tolerability of anagrelide in thrombocytosis associated with myeloproliferative disorders...
- Oral anticoagulants as secondary prophylaxis of thrombosis in patients with polycythemia vera: a retrospective analysis of 15 patientsThomas Bachleitner-Hofmann
Department of Surgery, University of Vienna General Hospital, Austria
Thromb Res 112:229-32. 2003..0. In our opinion, a prospective clinical trial similar to the recently performed ECLAP study would be needed to more thoroughly elucidate the efficacy of OA in the secondary prophylaxis of thrombosis in PV...
- Factor V Leiden mutation carriership and venous thromboembolism in polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemiaMarco Ruggeri
Department of Hematology, S Bortolo Hospital, Vicenza, Italy
Am J Hematol 71:1-6. 2002..FV Leiden mutation is a risk factor for VTE before and at time of diagnosis and for VTE recurrences. Screening for FV Leiden may be considered to identify PV and ET patients at higher risk of recurrences...
- Imatinib mesylate inhibits autonomous erythropoiesis in patients with polycythemia vera in vitroLeopold Oehler
Internal Medicine I, Division of Hematology, University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Blood 102:2240-2. 2003..The profound effect of imatinib mesylate on autonomous erythropoiesis suggests the involvement of an as yet unidentified kinase in the pathogenesis of PV and should provide the rationale for a forthcoming clinical trial...
- Acute leukemia in polycythemia vera: an analysis of 1638 patients enrolled in a prospective observational studyGuido Finazzi
Consorzio Mario Negri Sud, Santa Maria Imbaro, Italy
Blood 105:2664-70. 2005..84-16.25; P = .0023), but not to hydroxyurea (HU) alone (HR, 0.86; 95% CI, 0.26-2.88; P = .8021), had an independent role in producing an excess risk for progression to AML/MDS compared with treatment with phlebotomy or interferon...
- Mutation of the prothrombin gene and thrombotic events in patients with polycythemia vera or essential thrombocythemia: a cohort studyHeinz Gisslinger
Haematologica 90:408-10. 2005..The rate for venous thrombotic events was 14.7/100 patient-years in patients with the prothrombin mutation compared to 0.8 in patients without the mutation (rate ratio 17.5)...
- Proposals and rationale for revision of the World Health Organization diagnostic criteria for polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia, and primary myelofibrosis: recommendations from an ad hoc international expert panelAyalew Tefferi
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Blood 110:1092-7. 2007....
- Primary myelofibrosis (PMF), post polycythemia vera myelofibrosis (post-PV MF), post essential thrombocythemia myelofibrosis (post-ET MF), blast phase PMF (PMF-BP): Consensus on terminology by the international working group for myelofibrosis research andRuben A Mesa
Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Leuk Res 31:737-40. 2007....
- Pegylated interferon for the treatment of high risk essential thrombocythemia: results of a phase II studyChristian Langer
Department of Medicine III, University of Ulm, Germany
Haematologica 90:1333-8. 2005..We evaluated the efficacy and toxicity of pegylated interferon in high-risk essential thrombocythemia in a phase II trial...
- Efficacy and safety of low-dose aspirin in polycythemia veraRaffaele Landolfi
Catholic University School of Medicine, Rome, Italy
N Engl J Med 350:114-24. 2004..The use of aspirin for the prevention of thrombotic complications in polycythemia vera is controversial...
- Bone metabolism during interferon-alpha treatment of essential thrombocythemiaRajko Kusec
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Department of Medicine, University Hospital Merkur, Zagreb, Croatia
Wien Klin Wochenschr 116:37-41. 2004..Correlations indicated modulation of bone metabolism, i.e. remodeling with suppression of resorption, as a consequence of therapy with IFN-alpha...