- Laboratory diagnosis and geriatrics: more than just reference intervals for the elderlyAlexander Lapin
Sozialmedizinisches Zentrum Sophienspital, Vienna, Austria
Wien Med Wochenschr 155:30-5. 2005..Not so much differentiation between "physiology" and "pathology", but the consideration of "clinical individuality" as relative risk in dimension of time is of importance...
- [Limits and relevance of the laboratory diagnosis of malnutrition in the elderly]Alexander Lapin
Sozialmedizinisches Zentrum Sophienspital, Wien, Austria
Wien Med Wochenschr 156:142-8. 2006..In sum, the diagnosis and monitoring of malnutrition in the elderly represents an important challenge for laboratory medicine...
- [Why should Byzantium be considered as a cradle of clinical geriatrics?]Alexander Lapin
Sozialmedizinisches Zentrum Sophienspital, Wien, Osterreich
Wien Med Wochenschr 158:471-80. 2008..It survived, however, only in hospitals of occidental monastic orders, which brought their experience from East-Mediterranean area. Their hospitals were than a base for modern health care and for geriatrics...
- [Trans-cultural geriatrics: an incipient challenge]Alexander Lapin
Sozialmedizinisches Zentrum Sophienspital der Stadt Wien, Wien, Osterreich
Wien Med Wochenschr 158:481-8. 2008..Specifically, fundamental aspects of Islam, Eastern Christianity, Judaism and Far-East religious and cultural understanding are presented...
- Serum androgen levels in men: impact of health status and ageGeorg Schatzl
Department of Urology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Urology 61:629-33. 2003..To investigate the impact of health status on androgen levels in men and to assess the age-related changes in androgen levels...
- Vegetarian diet affects genes of oxidative metabolism and collagen synthesisHeidrun Karlic
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Leukemia Research and Hematology, Hanusch Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Ann Nutr Metab 53:29-32. 2008..This study compares expression patterns of relevant genes in oral mucosa of omnivores and vegetarians...
- Downregulation of carnitine acyltransferases and organic cation transporter OCTN2 in mononuclear cells in healthy elderly and patients with myelodysplastic syndromesHeidrun Karlic
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Leukemia Research and Hematology, Hanusch Hospital, H Collinstrasse 30, 1140 Vienna, Austria
J Mol Med (Berl) 81:435-42. 2003..The described reduction in transcription of different genes in blood cells which is well known in different tissues may reflect a systemic signaling process, associated with aging, apoptosis, and MDS...
- Soluble transferrin receptor and iron status in elderly patientsFranz Böhmer
Centre of Social Medicine, Sophienspital, Apollogasse 19, A 1070 Vienna, Austria
Wien Med Wochenschr 153:232-6. 2003..Finally, extremely high sTfR levels were observed in some cases of malignancy such as in acute leukaemia and in hypernephroma. Thus, increased sTfR levels can be caused by paraneoplastic effects...