Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Innsbruck Medical University
- [Expert recommendations 2006 on the rationale for second-line therapy for non-small cell bronchial neoplasms]Wolfgang Hilbe
Medizinische Universitat Innsbruck, Klinische Abteilung für Allgemeine Innere Medizin, Schwerpunkt Onkologie, Innsbruck, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 119:259-66. 2007
- Peripheral infusion of rat bone marrow derived endothelial progenitor cells leads to homing in acute lung injuryChristian M Kähler
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, Pneumology Centre, Innsbruck Medical University, Austria
Respir Res 8:50. 2007..Homing of ex vivo generated bone marrow-derived EPC into the injured lung has not been investigated so far. We therefore tested the hypothesis whether homing of EPC in damaged lung tissue occurs after intravenous administration...
- Noninvasive detection of lung cancer by analysis of exhaled breathAmel Bajtarevic
Department of Operative Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
BMC Cancer 9:348. 2009..An early non-invasive diagnosis of lung cancer would improve prognosis and enlarge treatment options. Analysis of exhaled breath would be an ideal diagnostic method, since it is non-invasive and totally painless...
- Use of penalized splines in extended Cox-type additive hazard regression to flexibly estimate the effect of time-varying serum uric acid on risk of cancer incidence: a prospective, population-based study in 78,850 menAlexander M Strasak
Department of Medical Statistics, Informatics and Health Economics, Innsbruck Medical University, Austria
Ann Epidemiol 19:15-24. 2009..We sought to investigate the effect of serum uric acid (SUA) levels on risk of cancer incidence in men and to flexibly determine the shape of this association by using a novel analytical approach...
- Serum uric acid and risk of cancer mortality in a large prospective male cohortAlexander M Strasak
Department of Medical Statistics, Informatics and Health Economics, Innsbruck Medical University, Schoepfstrasse 41, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Cancer Causes Control 18:1021-9. 2007..To examine the prognostic role of serum uric acid (SUA) for cancer mortality in apparently healthy men across a wide age range...
- Basic clinical parameters predict gefitinib efficacy in non-small cell lung cancerAndreas Pircher
Medical University of Innsbruck, Department of Internal Medicine V Haematology and Oncology, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Anticancer Res 31:2949-55. 2011..We retrospectively analysed data for 82 patients with advanced NSCLC treated with gefitinib and correlated benefits with clinical baseline and therapy-related parameters...
- Association of gamma-glutamyltransferase and risk of cancer incidence in men: a prospective studyAlexander M Strasak
Departments of Medical Statistics, Informatics and Health Economics, Innsbruck Medical University, Austria
Cancer Res 68:3970-7. 2008..001), revealing markedly stronger associations in participants ages </=65 years. Our findings, for the first time, show that elevated GGT is significantly associated with increased cancer risk in men...
- Clinical relevance of neuroendocrine differentiation in non-small cell lung cancer assessed by immunohistochemistry: a retrospective study on 405 surgically resected casesWilliam Sterlacci
Institute for Pathology, Medical University Innsbruck, Muellerstrasse 44, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Virchows Arch 455:125-32. 2009..In conclusion, additional immunohistochemical detection of neuroendocrine differentiation in non-small cell lung cancer is presently not of prognostic importance and does not justify a distinct consideration...
- Rationale of a relaunch of gefitinib in Caucasian non-small cell lung cancer patientsAndreas Pircher
Medical University Innsbruck, Department of Internal Medicine V, Hematology and Oncology, Anichstrasse 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Lung Cancer 69:265-71. 2010..The present review summarizes these data, presents the rationale for this development and proposes a diagnostic work-up...
- Cetuximab inhibits thymidylate synthase in colorectal cells expressing epidermal growth factor receptorSergej Skvortsov
Department of Internal Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria Innsbruck Biocenter, Division of Cell Biology, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Proteomics Clin Appl 2:908-14. 2008..We demonstrated that only EGFR expression with high functional activity of EGFR/MAPK pathway is important for the synergistic effects between cetuximab and 5-FU in the investigated cell lines...
- Increased numbers of endothelial progenitor cells in peripheral blood and tumor specimens in non-small cell lung cancer: a methodological challenge and an ongoing debate on the clinical relevanceAndreas Pircher
Department of General Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Medical University Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, Innsbruck, Austria
Oncol Rep 19:345-52. 2008..MCA proved to have a very high sensitivity and even allowed the identification of singular positive EPCs...
- Cancer stem cells: characteristics and their potential role for new therapeutic strategiesStephan R Bohl
Medical University Innsbruck, Department of Internal Medicine V, Haematology and Oncology, Innsbruck, Austria
Onkologie 34:269-74. 2011..This review presents current scientific knowledge on this topic and discusses the potential role of CSC in the resistance against chemotherapy or radiation and presents challenging options for therapeutic interventions...
- Proteomic identification of aldo-keto reductase AKR1B10 induction after treatment of colorectal cancer cells with the proteasome inhibitor bortezomibJudith Loeffler-Ragg
Department of Internal Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Mol Cancer Ther 8:1995-2006. 2009..2% of 125 tumor specimens. These findings indicate that AKR1B10 might be a target for combination therapy with bortezomib...
- Determination of volatile organic compounds in exhaled breath of patients with lung cancer using solid phase microextraction and gas chromatography mass spectrometryMagdalena Ligor
Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Clin Chem Lab Med 47:550-60. 2009..This might lead to a future diagnostic test for lung cancer...
- ["Targeted Therapies" in NSCLC - present and future]Georg Pall
Klinische Abteilung für Allgemeine Innere Medizin, Schwerpunkt Onkologie, Universitatsklinik fur Innere Medizin, Medizinische Universitat Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Osterreich
Wien Med Wochenschr 157:545-53. 2007..Accordingly, the aim of this review is to provide an update on the most important recent developments in the field of "Targeted Therapy" against NSCLC...
- Prospective study of the association of gamma-glutamyltransferase with cancer incidence in womenAlexander M Strasak
Department of Medical Statistics, Informatics and Health Economics, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Int J Cancer 123:1902-6. 2008..006). Our study is the first to demonstrate in a large population-based cohort that high GGT levels significantly increased cancer risk in women...
- [Updated strategies in Small Cell Lung Cancer post ASCO 2007]Stefan Hoschek
Abteilung fur Innere Medizin, Landeskrankenhaus Hochzirl, Hochzirl, Osterreich
Wien Med Wochenschr 157:562-8. 2007..In the field of radiotherapy, a phase III study showed for the first time a significant benefit in overall survival by prophylactic cranial radiation in the setting of extensive disease...
- Characterisation and predictive value of epidermal growth factor receptor status using quantitative real-time PCR combined with immunohistochemistry on non-small cell lung cancer specimensWolfgang Hilbe
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Int J Oncol 23:893-9. 2003..PCR-EGFR and IHC-EGFR tumour typing identifies different tumour characteristics with different clinical courses. Whether this combined typing could help to identify patients who respond to anti-EGFR therapies is worth further testing...
- Automated real-time PCR to determine K-ras codon 12 mutations in non-small cell lung cancer: comparison with immunohistochemistry and clinico-pathological featuresWolfgang Hilbe
Department of Internal Medicine, Innsbruck University Hospital, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Int J Oncol 23:1121-6. 2003..Determination of the K-ras point mutations by automated TaqMan PCR in NSCLC tumour specimens is feasable and highly specific. Due to its high throughput capacity this method represents a valuable tool for routine screening...
- Combination of cytology, fluorescence in situ hybridization for aneuploidy, and reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction for human mammaglobin/mammaglobin B expression improves diagnosis of malignant effusionsMichael Fiegl
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Innsbruck University Hospital, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
J Clin Oncol 22:474-83. 2004..The identification of malignant cells in effusions by conventional cytology is hampered by its limited sensitivity. The aim of this study was to improve tumor cell detection in effusions by molecular approaches...
- High rate of molecular alteration in histologically tumour-free bronchial epithelium of NSCLC patients detected by multicolour fluorescence in situ hybridisationWolfgang Hilbe
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University Innsbruck, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Oncol Rep 15:1233-40. 2006..FISH analysis, performing multicolour strategies, demonstrated its power in detecting genetic abnormalities in NSCLC specimens and even in tumour-free sections of tumour patients...
- Targeted therapies in non-small cell lung cancer: proven concepts and unfulfilled promisesJutta Auberger
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Medical University Innsbruck, Austria
Curr Cancer Drug Targets 6:271-94. 2006..In the current review the up-to-date knowledge concerning targeted therapies in NSCLC is summarized and their therapeutical potential is discussed...
- Pharmacokinetic analysis of docetaxel during haemodialysis in a patient with locally advanced non-small cell lung cancerKathrin Hochegger
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:289-90. 2007
- Prognostic and diagnostic relevance of hnRNP A2/B1, hnRNP B1 and S100 A2 in non-small cell lung cancerVeronika F E Zech
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, Medical University Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Cancer Detect Prev 30:395-402. 2006..Since previous studies using paraffin-embedded tissues indicated a high potential of these markers for diagnosis and screening the present analysis intended to validate these data applying cryostat sections...
- [Bronchial carcinoma--light on the horizon!]Wolfgang Hilbe
Wien Med Wochenschr 157:535. 2007
- Comparison of automated cellular imaging system and manual microscopy for immunohistochemically stained cryostat sections of lung cancer specimens applying p53, ki-67 and p120Wolfgang Hilbe
Department of Internal Medicine, Innsbruck University Hospital, Austria
Oncol Rep 10:15-20. 2003..ACIS can complement conventional manual microscopy due to its higher accuracy, sensitivity and better reproducibility of data...