B G Toelle
Affiliation: Woolcock Institute of Medical Research
- Exasperations" of asthma: a qualitative study of patient language about worsening asthmaStephen D Vincent
Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 184:451-4. 2006....
- Prevalence of asthma and allergy in schoolchildren in Belmont, Australia: three cross sectional surveys over 20 yearsBrett G Toelle
University of Sydney, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, Box M77 Missenden Road Post Office, Camperdown, NSW 2050, Australia
BMJ 328:386-7. 2004
- Childhood factors that predict asthma in young adulthoodB G Toelle
Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Eur Respir J 23:66-70. 2004..Cumulative likelihood ratios are more valuable than odds ratios for quantifying risk in individuals and for identifying people with most to gain from preventive interventions...
- Lung function growth and its relation to airway hyperresponsiveness and recent wheeze. Results from a longitudinal population studyW Xuan
Department of Medicine, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 161:1820-4. 2000..We conclude that lung function continues to grow after the cessation of height growth and that growth in FEV(1) is reduced in subjects with AHR and/or recent wheeze...
- Effects of gas and other fume emitting heaters on the development of asthma during childhoodL L Phoa
Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, Australia
Thorax 59:741-5. 2004..The long term effects of early life exposure to these appliances are not known. This study investigated the effect of exposure to fume emitting heaters, currently and during the first year of life, on the risk of asthma outcomes...
- Subject discomfort associated with the histamine challenge in a population studyB G Toelle
Institute of Respiratory Medicine, Sydney, Australia
Respir Med 96:990-2. 2002..Levels of subjects discomfort after a challenge have not been quantified. This study quantified the incidence, severity and duration of subject discomfort after histamine challenge...
- Risk factors for onset and remission of atopy, wheeze, and airway hyperresponsivenessW Xuan
Institute of Respiratory Medicine, University of Sydney, P O Box M77, Camperdown, NSW 2050, Australia
Thorax 57:104-9. 2002....
- Use of a paper disposable cup as a spacer is effective for the first-aid management of asthmaB W Willemse
Institute of Respiratory Medicine, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Respir Med 97:86-9. 2003..There are many settings in which a spacer device is not available for the administration of bronchodilator. Therefore, we tested whether a paper disposable cup is as effective as a commercially produced spacer to administer bronchodilator...
- Repeatability of peak nasal inspiratory flow measurements and utility for assessing the severity of rhinitisR Starling-Schwanz
Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Allergy 60:795-800. 2005..Therefore, this study aimed to evaluate the repeatability of PNIF measurements and to assess their association with the signs and symptoms of rhinitis...
- Particulate masks and non-powdered gloves reduce latex allergen inhaled by healthcare workersT Z Mitakakis
Cooperative Research Centre for Ashma, Sydney, Australia
Clin Exp Allergy 32:1166-9. 2002..Although allergy to latex is a well-characterized phenomenon, some hospitals continue to provide staff with powdered latex gloves as an option to low- or non-powdered gloves...
- Anxiety, panic and adult asthma: a cognitive-behavioral perspectiveVandana M Deshmukh
Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Respir Med 101:194-202. 2007..Trials evaluating CBT interventions in individuals with clinical anxiety manifestations and asthma may provide evidence of these interventions as an effective adjunct to improve asthma management and control...
- Age-specific relationship between CD14 and atopy in a cohort assessed from age 8 to 25 yearsAnne R O'Donnell
Department of Paediatrics, University of Western Australia, Children s Hospital Medical Centre, Perth, Australia
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 169:615-22. 2004..These data suggest that the influence of CD14 -159C on the atopic phenotype may be age specific, exerting an effect during midchildhood, which is no longer apparent by early adulthood...
- The burden of asthma in children: an Australian perspectiveLeanne M Poulos
Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, PO Box M77, Missenden Road PO, Sydney, NSW 2050, Australia
Paediatr Respir Rev 6:20-7. 2005..It remains to be seen whether this favourable trend will continue and extend into the adult age range...
- The effect of neonatal BCG vaccination on atopy and asthma at age 7 to 14 years: an historical cohort study in a community with a very low prevalence of tuberculosis infection and a high prevalence of atopic diseaseGuy B Marks
Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Allergy Clin Immunol 111:541-9. 2003..There are no data on the effects of neonatal BCG vaccination on cytokine responses of lymphocytes that are exposed in vitro to allergens...
- Occupational asthma in New South Wales (NSW): a population-based studyAnthony Johnson
Cooperative Research Centre for Asthma, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, NSW, Australia
Occup Med (Lond) 56:258-62. 2006..The proportion of asthma in adults that is due to occupational exposures is not known...
- Analysis of adherence to peak flow monitoring when recording of data is electronicHelen K Reddel
Institute of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and University of Sydney, PO Box M77, Missenden Road, Camperdown, NSW 2050, Australia
BMJ 324:146-7. 2002
- Robust estimation of experimentwise P values applied to a genome scan of multiple asthma traits identifies a new region of significant linkage on chromosome 20q13Manuel A R Ferreira
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Am J Hum Genet 77:1075-85. 2005....
- Presence and timing of cat ownership by age 18 and the effect on atopy and asthma at age 28Gea de Meer
Woolcock Institute for Medical Research, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Allergy Clin Immunol 113:433-8. 2004..Asthma and allergic sensitization to cats frequently coexist, although recent studies show less atopic disease among people who had pets in infancy. However, no longterm evaluations have been performed thus far...
- Asthma management and outcomes in Australia: a nation-wide telephone interview surveyGuy B Marks
Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Respirology 12:212-9. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the burden of asthma and describe current asthma management in Australia...