Nigel A Spry
Affiliation: Western Australia
- Improving sexual health in men with prostate cancer: randomised controlled trial of exercise and psychosexual therapiesPrue Cormie
Edith Cowan University Health and Wellness Institute, Edith Cowan University, 270 Joondalup Drive, Joondalup, WA 6027, Australia
BMC Cancer 14:199. 2014....
- Can exercise ameliorate treatment toxicity during the initial phase of testosterone deprivation in prostate cancer patients? Is this more effective than delayed rehabilitation?Robert U Newton
Edith Cowan University Health and Wellness Institute, Edith Cowan University, 270 Joondalup Drive, Joondalup, Western Australia 6027, Australia
BMC Cancer 12:432. 2012..The pressing question is whether it is more efficacious to commence exercise therapy at the same time as initiating androgen deprivation, so treatment induced adverse effects can be immediately attenuated or indeed prevented...
- Efficacy and safety of a modular multi-modal exercise program in prostate cancer patients with bone metastases: a randomized controlled trialDaniel A Galvão
Edith Cowan University Health and Wellness Institute and School of Exercise and Health Sciences, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Australia
BMC Cancer 11:517. 2011..The aim of this study is to determine the efficacy and safety of a modular multi-modal exercise program in prostate cancer patients with bone metastases...
- A randomized controlled trial of an exercise intervention targeting cardiovascular and metabolic risk factors for prostate cancer patients from the RADAR trialDaniel A Galvão
Vario Health Institute, School of Exercise, Biomedical and Health Sciences, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, WA, Australia
BMC Cancer 9:419. 2009..Our primary outcomes are cardiorespiratory capacity, abdominal obesity, and lipid and glycemic control, while secondary outcomes include self-reported physical activity, quality of life and psychological distress...
- A phase III clinical trial of exercise modalities on treatment side-effects in men receiving therapy for prostate cancerRobert U Newton
Vario Health Institute, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, WA, Australia
BMC Cancer 9:210. 2009....
- Adverse effects to quality of life arising from treatment can recover with intermittent androgen suppression in men with prostate cancerN A Spry
Department of Medicine, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA, Australia
Eur J Cancer 42:1083-92. 2006..Older men are more likely to show an impaired testosterone recovery, and this was paralleled by a slower HQOL recovery. Newer methods of analysis to describe results in a way that has meaning to the individual patient are warranted...
- Long-term effects of intermittent androgen suppression on testosterone recovery and bone mineral density: results of a 33-month observational studyNigel A Spry
Faculty of Medicine, University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA, Australia
BJU Int 104:806-12. 2009..To investigate changes in bone mineral density (BMD) and osteoporosis, over 3 years of intermittent androgen-suppression therapy (IAST)...
- 3D radiotherapy can be safely combined with sandwich systemic gemcitabine chemotherapy in the management of pancreatic cancer: factors influencing outcomeNigel Spry
Department of Radiation Oncology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, WA, Australia
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:1438-46. 2008....
- International study into the use of intermittent hormone therapy in the treatment of carcinoma of the prostate: a meta-analysis of 1446 patientsGreg L Shaw
St Bartholemew s Hospital, London, UK, and University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
BJU Int 99:1056-65. 2007....
- Publication rates of abstracts presented at annual scientific meetings: how does the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists compare?Sean A Bydder
Department of Radiation Oncology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, and School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Australas Radiol 48:25-8. 2004..Guidelines to scientific committees could increase the APR by more rigorous selection of abstracts. Future research should look at barriers to the publication of research findings, and identify ways to assist the publication process...
- Effect of contrast media on megavoltage photon beam dosimetryAshley W Rankine
Department of Radiation Oncology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Verdun Street, Nedlands, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Med Dosim 33:169-74. 2008..In these instances, pre-contrast CT data should be used for dosimetry...
- Effect of bite tray impression technique on relocation accuracy in frameless stereotactic radiotherapyClare E Herbert
Department of Radiation Oncology and Dental Clinic, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia
Med Dosim 28:27-30. 2003..Our results showed the optimal impression technique (i.e., the one that led to the smallest ranges in positional and rotational errors) was that which incorporated the teeth, alveolar sulcus, and hard palate...
- Detailed review and analysis of complex radiotherapy clinical trial planning data: evaluation and initial experience with the SWAN software systemMartin A Ebert
Department of Radiation Oncology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, WA, Australia
Radiother Oncol 86:200-10. 2008..Assessment of the quality of this information is required to ensure protocol compliance, to quantify the variation in treatments given to patients and to enhance the power of studies to determine correlates of patient outcomes...
- ¹⁸F-Fluoromethylcholine (FCH) PET imaging in patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer: prospective comparison with standard imagingMichael McCarthy
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, WA, Australia
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 38:14-22. 2011....
- Serum procollagen 1 amino-terminal propeptide (P1NP) in prostate cancer: pitfalls of its use as an early surrogate marker for bone metastasisEka Moseshvili
Department of Radiation Oncology, Calvary Mater Hospital, Waratah, Australia
J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 58:497-502. 2014..We investigated the role of P1NP as a surrogate marker of sub-radiological skeletal metastases in prostate cancer patients with biochemical failure (BF)...
- Quality improvements in prostate radiotherapy: outcomes and impact of comprehensive quality assurance during the TROG 03.04 'RADAR' trialRachel Kearvell
Department of Radiation Oncology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 57:247-57. 2013..Rigorous quality assurance (QA) processes were undertaken to ensure the validity and reliability of the radiation therapy treatment plan data...
- Whole brain irradiation following surgery or radiosurgery for solitary brain metastases: mature results of a prematurely closed randomized Trans-Tasman Radiation Oncology Group trial (TROG 98.05)Daniel E Roos
Department of Radiation Oncology, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Radiother Oncol 80:318-22. 2006..Our results are not inconsistent with two larger randomized trials and support the use of upfront WBI to decrease brain recurrence in this setting...
- One year follow-up study of the association between chemical castration, sex hormones, beta-amyloid, memory and depression in menOsvaldo P Almeida
School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, University of Western Australia, Mail Point M573 Level 6, Ainslie House, Royal Perth Hospital, 35 Stirling Highway, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Psychoneuroendocrinology 29:1071-81. 2004..The performance of subjects on the WL test was negatively correlated with plasma levels of Abeta, but the clinical significance of this finding remains to be determined...
- A small tolerance for catheter displacement in high-dose rate prostate brachytherapy is necessary and feasibleAlbert Tiong
Department of Radiation Oncology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Hospital Avenue, Nedlands, Perth, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76:1066-72. 2010..These data were used to make conclusions on an acceptable amount of displacement...
- Can exercise ameliorate the increased risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes associated with ADT?Daniel A Galvão
School of Exercise, Biomedical and Health Sciences, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Western Australia, Australia
Nat Clin Pract Urol 5:306-7. 2008
- Outcome, morbidity, and prognostic factors in post-prostatectomy radiotherapy: an Australian multicenter studyGillian M Duchesne
Division of Radiation Oncology, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Urology 61:179-83. 2003..To report the outcome and morbidity data for patients treated with post-prostatectomy radiotherapy (PPRT) in a multicenter collaboration...
- Resistance training and reduction of treatment side effects in prostate cancer patientsDaniel A Galvão
School of Exercise, Biomedical and Health Sciences, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Australia
Med Sci Sports Exerc 38:2045-52. 2006..To examine the effect of progressive resistance training on muscle function, functional performance, balance, body composition, and muscle thickness in men receiving androgen deprivation for prostate cancer...
- A prospective phase II study of adjuvant postoperative radiation therapy following nodal surgery in malignant melanoma-Trans Tasman Radiation Oncology Group (TROG) Study 96.06Bryan H Burmeister
University of Queensland, Melanoma Clinic, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Radiother Oncol 81:136-42. 2006..There are no randomised trials that confirm that postoperative radiation conveys a benefit in terms of regional control or survival...
- Efficacy and tolerability of concurrent weekly low dose cisplatin during radiation treatment of localised muscle invasive bladder transitional cell carcinoma: a report of two sequential Phase II studies from the Trans Tasman Radiation Oncology GroupNirdosh Kumar Gogna
Mater Radiation Oncology Centre, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Radiother Oncol 81:9-17. 2006..To determine the feasibility, toxicity, and clinical effectiveness of concurrent weekly cisplatin chemotherapy in conjunction with definitive radiation in the treatment of localised muscle invasive bladder cancer...
- Chemotherapy for pancreatic cancerSean Bydder
N Engl J Med 350:2713-5; author reply 2713-5. 2004
- Development of a European organization for research and treatment of cancer module to assess the quality of life of patients with proctitis after pelvic radiotherapy for malignancyNigel Spry
Department of Radiation Oncology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth, Western Australia
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 72:522-8. 2008..To describe the development of a proctitis-specific quality-of-life module to supplement the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-C30)...