Affiliation: Western Australia
- Aggressive nutrition for preterm infants--benefits and risksKaren Simmer
Neonatology Clinical Care Unit, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women and University of Western Australia, Australia
Early Hum Dev 83:631-4. 2007....
- Standardised parenteral nutritionKaren Simmer
Department of Neonatal Paediatrics, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women and Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Subiaco, WA 6008, Australia
Nutrients 5:1058-70. 2013..The recent introduction of triple-chamber bag that provides total nutrient admixture for neonates may have additional advantage of decreased risk of contamination and ease of administration...
- A method for standardizing the fat content of human milk for use in the neonatal intensive care unitCharles Czank
Discipline of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Biomedical, Biochemical and Chemical Science, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
Int Breastfeed J 4:3. 2009..CONCLUSION: This method is accurate and simple, allowing for integration alongside current milk bank and NICU practices for use with both donor human milk and mother's own milk...
- Lung volume and ventilation inhomogeneity in preterm infants at 15-18 months corrected ageSven M Schulzke
School of Women s and Infant s Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
J Pediatr 156:542-9.e2. 2010....
- Preterm infants with chronic lung disease: are protein and energy intakes after discharge sufficient for optimal growth?Gemma McLeod
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 47:127-33. 2011..To document post-discharge feeding practices of preterm infants with chronic lung disease (CLD) and determine if sufficient protein and energy is consumed for optimal growth...
- Intravenous levetiracetam for treatment of neonatal seizuresAbhijeet Rakshasbhuvankar
Department of Neonatal Paediatrics, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children and King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women, Perth, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 20:1165-7. 2013..One neonate showed a partial response while one did not have any reduction in seizure frequency. We did not encounter any adverse effects that could be attributable to levetiracetam. ..
- Histologic chorioamnionitis is associated with reduced risk of late-onset sepsis in preterm infantsTobias Strunk
Department of Neonatal Paediatrics, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women and Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Subiaco, Australia
Pediatrics 129:e134-41. 2012..Preterm infants are at greatly increased risk of late-onset sepsis (LOS), particularly with coagulase-negative staphylococci (CoNS), but the impact of HCA on the risk of LOS is unknown...
- Effect of Bifidobacterium breve M-16V supplementation on fecal bifidobacteria in preterm neonates--a randomised double blind placebo controlled trialSanjay Patole
Department of Neonatal Paediatrics, KEM Hospital for Women, Perth, Australia Centre for Neonatal Research and Education, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
PLoS ONE 9:e89511. 2014..Independent quality assessment is important before introducing routine probiotic supplementation in this cohort...
- Does after-hours in-house senior physician cover improve standard of care and outcomes in high-risk preterm neonates? A retrospective cohort studySteven Resnick
Neonatology Clinical Care Unit, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 47:795-801. 2011..The ISPCR involved the presence of a consultant neonatologist or neonatal fellow in the NICU until 11 pm...
- Parenteral lipid emulsions based on olive oil compared with soybean oil in preterm (<28 weeks' gestation) neonates: a randomised controlled trialGirish C Deshpande
Department of Neonatal Paediatrics, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women, Perth, Australia
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 49:619-25. 2009..New olive oil-based (OL) lipid emulsions (olive:soy oil = 4:1) have lower polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) (20% vs 60%) and higher vitamin E content (an antioxidant) compared with traditional soybean oil (SO) emulsions...
- Late-onset right-sided diaphragmatic hernia in neonates - case report and review of the literatureTobias Strunk
Department of Neonatal Paediatrics, King Edward Memorial and Princess Margaret Hospitals, Subiaco, Perth, Western Autralia, Australia
Eur J Pediatr 166:521-6. 2007..In conclusion, the pathophysiological mechanisms underlying the association remain to be elucidated. Awareness of the associated pleural effusion is important to avoid inadvertent organ injury due to chest drains...
- Patent ductus arteriosus in extremely preterm infants receiving phototherapy: does shielding the chest make a difference? A randomized, controlled trialJaveed Travadi
Women s and Children s Health Service, Subiaco, WA, Australia
Acta Paediatr 95:1418-23. 2006..Phototherapy has been associated with PDA, and one randomized, control trial has shown that shielding of the chest may decrease the risk of PDA...
- Lipids for parenteral nutrition in neonatesGirish Deshpande
Department of Neonatal Paediatrics, Nepean Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 14:145-50. 2011..In neonatal intensive care units, the interest and scope for research in the field of intravenous lipids has significantly widened in recent years. This brief review covers the advances in this field in the last 2 years...
- Fish Oil (SMOFlipid) and olive oil lipid (Clinoleic) in very preterm neonatesGirish Deshpande
Department of Neonatal Paediatrics, King Edward Memorial Hospital Western Australia School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia Department of Pharmacy, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women, Perth, Australia
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 58:177-82. 2014....
- Gastrointestinal contrast studies in high-risk neonates with suspected necrotising enterocolitis--a note of cautionJaveed Travadi
Department of Neonatal Pediatrics, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women, Bagot Road, Subiaco, Australia
J Perinat Med 31:523-5. 2003..The possibility that LOWS contrast media may not always be safe in high-risk neonates is raised...
- Effects of antenatal corticosteroids on urinary markers of the initiation of lactation in pregnant womenJennifer J Henderson
School of Women s and Infants Health, The University of Western Australia, King Edward Memorial Hospital, Subiaco, Western Australia, Australia
Breastfeed Med 4:201-6. 2009..This study aimed to investigate the effects of antenatal corticosteroid treatment on mammary secretion during pregnancy in women...
- Longchain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation in infants born at termKaren Simmer
Neonatal Care Unit, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women and Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Bagot Road, Subiaco, WA, Australia, 6008
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 12:CD000376. 2011..Infant formula has historically only contained the precursor fatty acids. Over the last few years, some manufacturers have added LCPUFA to formulae and marketed them as providing an advantage for the development of term infants...
- Peritoneal drainage versus laparotomy as initial surgical treatment for perforated necrotizing enterocolitis or spontaneous intestinal perforation in preterm low birth weight infantsShripada C Rao
Neonatal Care Unit, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women and Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Robert Road, Ward 6B, Subiaco, Australia, 6008
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 6:CD006182. 2011..Peritoneal drainage is an alternative approach to the management of such infants...
- Effect of preterm birth and antenatal corticosteroid treatment on lactogenesis II in womenJennifer J Henderson
School of Women s and Infants Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
Pediatrics 121:e92-100. 2008..The onset of copious milk secretion after birth is known as lactogenesis II. The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of preterm birth and antenatal corticosteroids on the timing of lactogenesis II after birth...
- Neonatal immune responses to coagulase-negative staphylococciTobias Strunk
School of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Curr Opin Infect Dis 20:370-5. 2007..This review summarizes current knowledge on the human immune response to coagulase-negative staphylococci, with particular emphasis on the neonatal innate immune system...
- Editorial - Nutrition of the preterm infant. Best Practice Guidelines on nutrition of preterm infantsKaren Simmer
Early Hum Dev 83:629. 2007
- Pentoxifylline reduces the incidence and severity of necrotizing enterocolitis in a neonatal rat modelJaveed Travadi
Women s and Children s Health Service, Women s and Infants Research Foundation and The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Pediatr Res 60:185-9. 2006..031, OR 0.06, 95% CI 0.01-0.79]. We conclude that intraperitoneal administration of pentoxifylline significantly reduced the incidence and severity of NEC in our experimental animal model...
- The effects of fish oil supplementation in pregnancy on breast milk fatty acid composition over the course of lactation: a randomized controlled trialJanet A Dunstan
School of Paediatrics and Child Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley WA 6009
Pediatr Res 62:689-94. 2007..Thus, supplementation in pregnancy was associated with increased n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LCPUFAs) in breast milk, particularly in early lactation, and this was positively associated with infant DHA status at 1 y...
- Rhodococcus equi meningitis after ventriculoperitoneal shunt insertion in a preterm infantTobias Strunk
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:1076-7. 2007
- Physiology of lactation in preterm mothers: initiation and maintenancePeter E Hartmann
School of Biomedical and Chemical Sciences, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia, 6009
Pediatr Ann 32:351-5. 2003