Genomes and Genes
Robyn L Ward
Affiliation: University of New South Wales
- Expression of GBGT1 is epigenetically regulated by DNA methylation in ovarian cancer cellsFrancis Jacob
Gynecological Research Group, Department of Biomedicine, University Hospital Basel and University of Basel, Hebelstrasse 20, CH 4013 Basel, Switzerland
BMC Mol Biol 15:24. 2014....
- The role of MYH and microsatellite instability in the development of sporadic colorectal cancerA Colebatch
Department of Medical Oncology, St Vincent s Hospital, Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010, Australia
Br J Cancer 95:1239-43. 2006..Tumours arising in the setting of BER or mismatch repair deficiency may share a biological characteristic, which promotes lymphocytic infiltration...
- Oesophagectomy rates and post-resection outcomes in patients with cancer of the oesophagus and gastro-oesophageal junction: a population-based study using linked health administrative linked dataEfty P Stavrou
Lowy Cancer Research Centre, Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 12:384. 2012....
- Population-based molecular screening for Lynch syndrome: implications for personalized medicineRobyn L Ward
Lowy Cancer Research Centre, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick NSW 2031, Australia
J Clin Oncol 31:2554-62. 2013..We aimed to determine whether decisions of patients or clinicians reduced detection of Lynch syndrome...
- Identification of constitutional MLH1 epimutations and promoter variants in colorectal cancer patients from the Colon Cancer Family RegistryRobyn L Ward
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre, Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Kensington, Australia
Genet Med 15:25-35. 2013..Constitutional MLH1 epimutations manifest as promoter methylation and silencing of the affected allele in normal tissues, predisposing to Lynch syndrome-associated cancers. This study investigated their frequency and inheritance...
- A reinvestigation of somatic hypermethylation at the PTEN CpG island in cancer cell linesLuke B Hesson
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Biol Proced Online 14:5. 2012..abstract:..
- Identification of 5 novel genes methylated in breast and other epithelial cancersVictoria K Hill
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, University of Birmingham, UK
Mol Cancer 9:51. 2010..We utilized one such recently developed approach, MIRA (methylated-CpG island recovery assay) combined with CpG island arrays to identify novel genes that are epigenetically inactivated in breast cancer...
- MGMT methylation is associated primarily with the germline C>T SNP (rs16906252) in colorectal cancer and normal colonic mucosaNicholas J Hawkins
School of Medical Sciences, University of NSW, Sydney, Australia
Mod Pathol 22:1588-99. 2009....
- Germline epimutation of MLH1 in individuals with multiple cancersCatherine M Suter
Department of Medical Oncology, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nat Genet 36:497-501. 2004..The mosaicism and nonmendelian inheritance that are characteristic of epigenetic states could produce patterns of disease risk that resemble those of polygenic or complex traits...
- Inheritance of a cancer-associated MLH1 germ-line epimutationMegan P Hitchins
Department of Medical Oncology, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
N Engl J Med 356:697-705. 2007..These findings demonstrate a novel pattern of inheritance of cancer susceptibility and are consistent with transgenerational epigenetic inheritance...
- Methylation of the 3p22 region encompassing MLH1 is representative of the CpG island methylator phenotype in colorectal cancerJustin J L Wong
School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Mod Pathol 24:396-411. 2011....
- Inactivation of p16INK4a by CpG hypermethylation is not a frequent event in colorectal cancerMark W A Norrie
Department of Medical Oncology, Schools of Medicine and Medical Science, St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, Australia
J Surg Oncol 84:143-50. 2003..Therefore, the aim of this study was to analyze loss of p16 expression and its relationship to hypermethylation in sporadic colorectal cancer...
- A correlation of the endoscopic characteristics of colonic laterally spreading tumours with genetic alterationsAndrew J Metz
Department of Gastroenterology, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:319-26. 2013..It is currently unclear whether different molecular alterations determine their morphologies. We aimed to assess this relationship in LSTs using strict morphological classifications...
- Detection of allelic imbalance in MLH1 expression by pyrosequencing serves as a tool for the identification of germline defects in Lynch syndromeChau To Kwok
Medical Epigenetics Laboratory, Integrated Cancer Research Group, Lowy Cancer Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, 2052, Australia
Fam Cancer 9:345-56. 2010..Our findings illustrate that the study of allelic behaviour can complement conventional molecular analyses by providing new insight into the genetic or epigenetic mechanisms underlying disease...
- Relative distribution of folate species is associated with global DNA methylation in human colorectal mucosaJia Liu
Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, Australia
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 5:921-9. 2012..There was no evidence that mucosal global DNA methylation or folate distribution was related to the presence of cancer per se, suggesting that if abnormalities exist, they are confined to individual cells rather than the entire colon...
- Epigenetic inactivation of a cluster of genes flanking MLH1 in microsatellite-unstable colorectal cancerMegan P Hitchins
Department of Medical Oncology, St Vincent s Hospital, Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, New South Wales 2010, Australia
Cancer Res 67:9107-16. 2007..Simultaneous epigenetic silencing of this cluster of 3p22 genes may contribute to the development or progression of this type of cancer...
- Reassembly of nucleosomes at the MLH1 promoter initiates resilencing following decitabine exposureLuke B Hesson
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
PLoS Genet 9:e1003636. 2013....
- Dominantly inherited constitutional epigenetic silencing of MLH1 in a cancer-affected family is linked to a single nucleotide variant within the 5'UTRMegan P Hitchins
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre, Prince of Wales Clinical School, Faculty of Medicine at the University of New South Wales, NSW 2052, Australia
Cancer Cell 20:200-13. 2011..27C > A located near the transcription initiation site and c.85G > T. The c.-27C > A variant significantly reduced transcriptional activity in reporter assays and is the probable cause of this epimutation...
- Histopathological and clinical evaluation of serrated adenomas of the colon and rectumCarolyn Bariol
Schools of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Mod Pathol 16:417-23. 2003..The optimum model for the histological identification of the serrated adenoma includes the presence of a serrated architecture in >/=20% of crypts in association with surface epithelial dysplasia...
- Epimutations and cancer predisposition: importance and mechanismsLuke B Hesson
Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Kensington, New South Wales, Australia
Curr Opin Genet Dev 20:290-8. 2010..Understanding the origin of epimutations will inform cancer risk assessment and will also aid the design and application of new therapies that target the epigenome...
- Favoritism in DNA methylationMegan P Hitchins
Level 1, EBB POW Hospital, High Street, Randwick, 2031, Sydney, Australia
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2:847-9. 2009..Aberrant MGMT methylation may identify individuals who could be targeted for cancer screening and chemoprevention strategies...
- Implementation of novel pyrosequencing assays to screen for common mutations of BRAF and KRAS in a cohort of sporadic colorectal cancersDeborah Packham
Medical Oncology Department, St Vincent s Hospital Sydney, Darlinghurst, Australia
Diagn Mol Pathol 18:62-71. 2009..These assays would serve as a suitable platform for large-scale mutation detection in cancer specimens where the facility for pyrosequencing is available...
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of KRAS status as the determinant of response to anti-EGFR antibodies and the impact of partner chemotherapy in metastatic colorectal cancerBarbara Ann Adelstein
Lowy Cancer Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, Faculty of Medicine, University of NSW, NSW 2052, Australia
Eur J Cancer 47:1343-54. 2011..This study systematically reviewed the evidence for KRAS mutation status as a treatment effect modifier of response to anti-EGFR antibodies and the influence of partner chemotherapy...
- Hypomethylation of L1 retrotransposons in colorectal cancer and adjacent normal tissueCatherine M Suter
Medical Oncology Department, St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, 2010 Sydney, Australia
Int J Colorectal Dis 19:95-101. 2004..The bulk of cytosine methylation in the mammalian genome occurs on repetitive elements. This study analysed the methylation status of L1 retrotransposons in colorectal cancer...
- The role of hMLH1 methylation in the development of synchronous sporadic colorectal carcinomasMark W A Norrie
Department of Medical Oncology, St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, Australia
Dis Colon Rectum 45:674-80. 2002..We hypothesized that in the setting of sporadic microsatellite instability cancers, synchronicity may reflect a global predisposition of colorectal epithelium toward tumor development because of gene hypermethylation...
- An audit of cancer of unknown primary notifications: A cautionary tale for population health research using cancer registry dataClaire M Vajdic
Adult Cancer Program, Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Australia Electronic address
Cancer Epidemiol 38:460-4. 2014..Cancer of unknown primary (CUP) is a common cancer yet little is known about the reliability of incidence data...
- Prohibitin expression is associated with high grade breast cancer but is not a driver of amplification at 17q21.33Lucy R Webster
Sydney Medical School Westmead, University of Sydney, Westmead Westmead Institute for Cancer Research, Westmead Westmead Millennium Institute, Westmead Tissue Pathology, Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research, Westmead Hospital, Westmead Translational Oncology, Sydney West Cancer Network, Western Sydney and Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health Districts, Westmead Anatomical Pathology, St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Randwick School of Medical Sciences University of New South Wales, Randwick School of Biomedical Sciences, Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia Genetics Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda MD USA these authors contributed equally to this work
Pathology 45:629-36. 2013..33 that were over-expressed in high grade cases, and showed a correlation between expression and gene copy number. The aim of this study was to investigate potential drivers of genomic amplification at 17q21.33...
- Trastuzumab and metastatic breast cancer: trastuzumab use in Australia--monitoring the effect of an expensive medicine access programSallie Anne Pearson
School of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Oncol 25:3688-93. 2007..This study examines the extent to which the clinical practice use of trastuzumab for the treatment of metastatic breast cancer differs from its use under trial conditions...
- Structural analysis of the ErbB-2 receptor using monoclonal antibodies: Implications for receptor signallingYum L Yip
School of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Int J Cancer 104:303-9. 2003....
- Uptake of a web-based oncology protocol system: how do cancer clinicians use eviQ cancer treatments online?Julia M Langton
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
BMC Cancer 13:112. 2013..Our objective was to examine the uptake of a web-based oncology protocol system (http://www.eviq.org.au) by Australian cancer clinicians...
- Low meprin alpha expression differentiates primary ovarian mucinous carcinoma from gastrointestinal cancers that commonly metastasise to the ovariesViola A Heinzelmann-Schwarz
Cancer Research Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Darlinghurst, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Pathol 60:622-6. 2007....
- The Wnt signalling pathway is upregulated in an in vitro model of acquired tamoxifen resistant breast cancerYan Ni Loh
Adult Cancer Program, Level 2, Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, New South Wales 2052, Australia
BMC Cancer 13:174. 2013..Here, our aim was to investigate if this key pathway was involved in acquired Tamoxifen resistance, and could be targeted therapeutically...
- Standardizing care in medical oncology: are Web-based systems the answer?Isla M Hains
University of New South Wales Cancer Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Cancer 115:5579-88. 2009..The authors' aim was to determine the factors affecting the uptake and use of a Web-based protocol system for medical oncology in the Australian setting...
- Quantitative analysis of tissue folate using ultra high-performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometryJia Liu
Prince of Wales Clinical School and Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Anal Biochem 411:210-7. 2011..This assay would be useful in characterizing folate distribution in human and animal tissues as well as the role of deregulated folate homeostasis on disease pathogenesis...
- The Wnt gatekeeper SFRP4 modulates EMT, cell migration and downstream Wnt signalling in serous ovarian cancer cellsCaroline E Ford
Wnt Signalling and Metastasis Group, Lowy Cancer Research Centre, Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
PLoS ONE 8:e54362. 2013..This raises the possibility that SFRP4 may be used both diagnostically and therapeutically in epithelial ovarian cancer...
- The serrated neoplasia pathwayNicholas J Hawkins
Department of Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, University of NSW, Sydney, Australia
Pathology 34:548-55. 2002..Most notably, it requires pathologists to recognise the entity of the serrated adenoma, and also to recognise those features of hyperplastic polyps that may be associated with a potential for neoplastic progression...
- The MLH1 c.-27C>A and c.85G>T variants are linked to dominantly inherited MLH1 epimutation and are borne on a European ancestral haplotypeChau To Kwok
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre, Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Eur J Hum Genet 22:617-24. 2014..Additional descendants bearing this founder haplotype may exist who are also at high risk of developing Lynch syndrome-related cancers. ..
- Clinicopathological correlates of GpIbalpha expression in human breast cancersCatherine M Suter
Department of Medical Oncology, St Vincent s Hospital, Victoria St, Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
Anticancer Res 22:1251-5. 2002..The current study examines the clinicopathological correlates of GPIbalpha expression in human breast cancer. Materials and..
- Establishing the clinical utility of epigenetic markers in cancer: many challenges aheadPeter Zarzour
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales 2052, Australia
Epigenomics 5:513-23. 2013..In this special report, we will describe the challenges associated with developing epigenetic assays and the practical issues that must be overcome before they can be used in the clinic. ..
- The dual role of the novel Wnt receptor tyrosine kinase, ROR2, in human carcinogenesisCaroline E Ford
Wnt Signaling and Metastasis Group, Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Australia
Int J Cancer 133:779-87. 2013..This review will explore the dual role of ROR2 in tumorigenesis and provide an up to date analysis of current literature in this rapidly expanding field...
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) genotypes in an Australian sample of anal cancersRichard J Hillman
Western Sydney Sexual Health Centre, University of Sydney, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Int J Cancer 135:996-1001. 2014..However, given the mean age of onset of this condition, the vaccine is unlikely to have a significant impact for several decades. Further research is necessary to prove additional protective effects of the nHPV vaccine...
- C-kit mutations in gastrointestinal stromal tumoursAdrienne L Morey
Department of Anatomical Pathology, St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, NSW Australia
Pathology 34:315-9. 2002..In this study, the frequency of c-kit exon 11 mutations has been determined in a series of 18 gut stromal tumours...
- Current evidence does not support routine adjuvant radiotherapy for rectal cancerAlan P Meagher
Department of Colorectal Surgery, St Vincents Hospital, Darlinghurst, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 72:835-40. 2002..There is widespread support in the published literature for routine adjuvant radiotherapy for rectal cancer...
- Discrimination of pseudogene and parental gene DNA methylation using allelic bisulfite sequencingLuke B Hesson
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Kensington, Sydney, NSW, 2227, Australia
Methods Mol Biol 1167:265-74. 2014..Here, we discuss important points that should be considered when investigating pseudogene and parental gene methylation status and we describe the method of allelic bisulfite sequencing, including assay design. ..
- Introducing research initiatives into healthcare: what do doctors think?Lucy Wyld
1 Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Biopreserv Biobank 12:91-8. 2014..This research project aims to explore doctors' views on the concept of institutional biobanking and to gain insight into the factors which impact the development of research initiatives within healthcare systems...
- Analysis of IgE antibodies from a patient with atopic dermatitis: biased V gene usage and evidence for polyreactive IgE heavy chain complementarity-determining region 3Michael R Edwards
School of Microbiology and Immunology, University of New South Wales, Kensington, Australia
J Immunol 168:6305-13. 2002..These results suggest that some IgE Abs may bind more than one Ag, which would have important implications for understanding the multiple sensitivities seen in conditions such as atopic dermatitis...
- Off-label use of medicines: consensus recommendations for evaluating appropriatenessMadlen Gazarian
University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 185:544-8. 2006..This will reduce inappropriate use, enhance patient safety by reducing exposure to unnecessary risk, and may stimulate more clinically relevant medicines research...
- Medical oncologyRobyn L Ward
St Vincent s Hospital, Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010
Med J Aust 176:25. 2002
- Minimal excess risk of cancer and reduced risk of death from cancer in Australian Department of Veterans' Affairs clients: a record linkage studyClaire M Vajdic
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre, Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales
Aust N Z J Public Health 38:30-4. 2014..To quantify the risk of incident cancer and cancer-related mortality in Australian Government Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) clients...