Genomes and Genes
Robyn L Ward
Affiliation: University of New South Wales
- Oesophagectomy rates and post-resection outcomes in patients with cancer of the oesophagus and gastro-oesophageal junction: a population-based study using linked health administrative linked dataEfty P Stavrou
Lowy Cancer Research Centre, Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 12:384. 2012....
- Population-based molecular screening for Lynch syndrome: implications for personalized medicineRobyn L Ward
Lowy Cancer Research Centre, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick NSW 2031, Australia
J Clin Oncol 31:2554-62. 2013..We aimed to determine whether decisions of patients or clinicians reduced detection of Lynch syndrome...
- Identification of constitutional MLH1 epimutations and promoter variants in colorectal cancer patients from the Colon Cancer Family RegistryRobyn L Ward
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre, Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Kensington, Australia
Genet Med 15:25-35. 2013..Screening for these changes is warranted in individuals who have a negative germline sequence screen of MLH1 and loss of MLH1 expression in their tumor.Genet Med 2013:15(1):25-35...
- A reinvestigation of somatic hypermethylation at the PTEN CpG island in cancer cell linesLuke B Hesson
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Biol Proced Online 14:5. 2012..abstract:..
- Identification of 5 novel genes methylated in breast and other epithelial cancersVictoria K Hill
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, University of Birmingham, UK
Mol Cancer 9:51. 2010..We utilized one such recently developed approach, MIRA (methylated-CpG island recovery assay) combined with CpG island arrays to identify novel genes that are epigenetically inactivated in breast cancer...
- Inheritance of a cancer-associated MLH1 germ-line epimutationMegan P Hitchins
Department of Medical Oncology, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
N Engl J Med 356:697-705. 2007..These findings demonstrate a novel pattern of inheritance of cancer susceptibility and are consistent with transgenerational epigenetic inheritance...
- MGMT methylation is associated primarily with the germline C>T SNP (rs16906252) in colorectal cancer and normal colonic mucosaNicholas J Hawkins
School of Medical Sciences, University of NSW, Sydney, Australia
Mod Pathol 22:1588-99. 2009....
- A correlation of the endoscopic characteristics of colonic laterally spreading tumours with genetic alterationsAndrew J Metz
Department of Gastroenterology, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:319-26. 2013..It is currently unclear whether different molecular alterations determine their morphologies. We aimed to assess this relationship in LSTs using strict morphological classifications...
- Detection of allelic imbalance in MLH1 expression by pyrosequencing serves as a tool for the identification of germline defects in Lynch syndromeChau To Kwok
Medical Epigenetics Laboratory, Integrated Cancer Research Group, Lowy Cancer Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, 2052, Australia
Fam Cancer 9:345-56. 2010..Our findings illustrate that the study of allelic behaviour can complement conventional molecular analyses by providing new insight into the genetic or epigenetic mechanisms underlying disease...
- Methylation of the 3p22 region encompassing MLH1 is representative of the CpG island methylator phenotype in colorectal cancerJustin J L Wong
School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Mod Pathol 24:396-411. 2011....
- Dominantly inherited constitutional epigenetic silencing of MLH1 in a cancer-affected family is linked to a single nucleotide variant within the 5'UTRMegan P Hitchins
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre, Prince of Wales Clinical School, Faculty of Medicine at the University of New South Wales, NSW 2052, Australia
Cancer Cell 20:200-13. 2011..27C > A located near the transcription initiation site and c.85G > T. The c.-27C > A variant significantly reduced transcriptional activity in reporter assays and is the probable cause of this epimutation...
- Reassembly of nucleosomes at the MLH1 promoter initiates resilencing following decitabine exposureLuke B Hesson
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
PLoS Genet 9:e1003636. 2013....
- Epimutations and cancer predisposition: importance and mechanismsLuke B Hesson
Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Kensington, New South Wales, Australia
Curr Opin Genet Dev 20:290-8. 2010..Understanding the origin of epimutations will inform cancer risk assessment and will also aid the design and application of new therapies that target the epigenome...
- Favoritism in DNA methylationMegan P Hitchins
Level 1, EBB POW Hospital, High Street, Randwick, 2031, Sydney, Australia
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2:847-9. 2009..Aberrant MGMT methylation may identify individuals who could be targeted for cancer screening and chemoprevention strategies...
- Relative distribution of folate species is associated with global DNA methylation in human colorectal mucosaJia Liu
Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, Australia
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 5:921-9. 2012..There was no evidence that mucosal global DNA methylation or folate distribution was related to the presence of cancer per se, suggesting that if abnormalities exist, they are confined to individual cells rather than the entire colon...
- Histopathological and clinical evaluation of serrated adenomas of the colon and rectumCarolyn Bariol
Schools of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Mod Pathol 16:417-23. 2003..The optimum model for the histological identification of the serrated adenoma includes the presence of a serrated architecture in >/=20% of crypts in association with surface epithelial dysplasia...
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of KRAS status as the determinant of response to anti-EGFR antibodies and the impact of partner chemotherapy in metastatic colorectal cancerBarbara Ann Adelstein
Lowy Cancer Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, Faculty of Medicine, University of NSW, NSW 2052, Australia
Eur J Cancer 47:1343-54. 2011..This study systematically reviewed the evidence for KRAS mutation status as a treatment effect modifier of response to anti-EGFR antibodies and the influence of partner chemotherapy...
- Uptake of a web-based oncology protocol system: how do cancer clinicians use eviQ cancer treatments online?Julia M Langton
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
BMC Cancer 13:112. 2013..Our objective was to examine the uptake of a web-based oncology protocol system (http://www.eviq.org.au) by Australian cancer clinicians...
- Germline epimutation of MLH1 in individuals with multiple cancersCatherine M Suter
Department of Medical Oncology, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nat Genet 36:497-501. 2004..The mosaicism and nonmendelian inheritance that are characteristic of epigenetic states could produce patterns of disease risk that resemble those of polygenic or complex traits...
- Quantitative analysis of tissue folate using ultra high-performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometryJia Liu
Prince of Wales Clinical School and Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Anal Biochem 411:210-7. 2011..This assay would be useful in characterizing folate distribution in human and animal tissues as well as the role of deregulated folate homeostasis on disease pathogenesis...
- Establishing the clinical utility of epigenetic markers in cancer: many challenges aheadPeter Zarzour
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales 2052, Australia
Epigenomics 5:513-23. 2013..In this special report, we will describe the challenges associated with developing epigenetic assays and the practical issues that must be overcome before they can be used in the clinic. ..
- The dual role of the novel Wnt receptor tyrosine kinase, ROR2, in human carcinogenesisCaroline E Ford
Wnt Signaling and Metastasis Group, Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Australia
Int J Cancer 133:779-87. 2013..This review will explore the dual role of ROR2 in tumorigenesis and provide an up to date analysis of current literature in this rapidly expanding field...
- Standardizing care in medical oncology: are Web-based systems the answer?Isla M Hains
University of New South Wales Cancer Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Cancer 115:5579-88. 2009..The authors' aim was to determine the factors affecting the uptake and use of a Web-based protocol system for medical oncology in the Australian setting...
- Minimal excess risk of cancer and reduced risk of death from cancer in Australian Department of Veterans' Affairs clients: a record linkage studyClaire M Vajdic
Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre, Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales
Aust N Z J Public Health 38:30-4. 2014..Our findings suggest DVA clients are probably accessing cancer screening services. Outcomes after cancer diagnosis are good, most probably due to comprehensive health care entitlements. ..
- The Wnt signalling pathway is upregulated in an in vitro model of acquired tamoxifen resistant breast cancerYan Ni Loh
Adult Cancer Program, Level 2, Lowy Cancer Research Centre and Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales, New South Wales 2052, Australia
BMC Cancer 13:174. 2013..Here, our aim was to investigate if this key pathway was involved in acquired Tamoxifen resistance, and could be targeted therapeutically...
- The serrated neoplasia pathwayNicholas J Hawkins
Department of Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, University of NSW, Sydney, Australia
Pathology 34:548-55. 2002..Most notably, it requires pathologists to recognise the entity of the serrated adenoma, and also to recognise those features of hyperplastic polyps that may be associated with a potential for neoplastic progression...
- Trastuzumab and metastatic breast cancer: trastuzumab use in Australia--monitoring the effect of an expensive medicine access programSallie Anne Pearson
School of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Oncol 25:3688-93. 2007..This study examines the extent to which the clinical practice use of trastuzumab for the treatment of metastatic breast cancer differs from its use under trial conditions...