John W Tapsall
Affiliation: University of New South Wales
- Meeting the public health challenge of multidrug- and extensively drug-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeaeJohn W Tapsall
WHO Collaborating Centre for STD, Microbiology Department, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney, Australia
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 7:821-34. 2009....
- Characteristics and population dynamics of mosaic penA allele-containing Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolates collected in Sydney, Australia, in 2007-2008John W Tapsall
Neisseria Reference Laboratory, Microbiology Department, South Eastern Area Laboratory Services, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:554-6. 2010..Enhanced surveillance of gonococcal resistance to cephalosporins is necessary...
- In vitro assessment of the further potential for development of fluoroquinolone resistance in Neisseria meningitidisTiffany R Shultz
Department of Microbiology, South Eastern Area Laboratory Service, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney 2031, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:1753-60. 2005..This suggests that quinolone resistance in meningococci may arise in the same manner and reach similar levels in vivo to those seen in quinolone-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae...
- Antibiotic resistance in Neisseria gonorrhoeaeJohn W Tapsall
Department of Microbiology, World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for STD and HIV, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Clin Infect Dis 41:S263-8. 2005..A sustained decrease in gonococcal disease requires an integrated approach combining improved prevention, better diagnosis, and effective treatment. Without continued commitment and effort, gonorrhea may well become untreatable...
- Dynamics of appearance and expansion of a prolyliminopeptidase- negative subtype among Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolates collected in Sydney, Australia, from 2002 to 2005E Athena Limnios
Department of Microbiology, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Barker Street, Randwick, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 44:1400-4. 2006..Algorithms for confirmation of N. gonorrhoeae should take account of the temporal and geographic variability of gonococci by utilizing two or more distinct confirmatory methods...
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae and emerging resistance to extended spectrum cephalosporinsJohn W Tapsall
World Health Collaborating Centre for STDs, Department of Microbiology, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Curr Opin Infect Dis 22:87-91. 2009..Current clinical and laboratory perspectives on N. gonorrhoeae with decreased susceptibility to third-generation cephalosporins are provided...
- Monitoring antimicrobial resistance for public health actionJohn W Tapsall
WHO Collaborating Centre for STD and HIV, Microbiology Department, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW
Commun Dis Intell 27:S70-4. 2003..Examples which illustrate the application of these principles are provided from experience with surveillance of AMR in the pathogenic Neisseria (N. gonorrhoeae and N. meningitidis)...
- Chloramphenicol-resistant Neisseria meningitidis containing catP isolated in AustraliaTiffany R Shultz
Department of Microbiology, South Eastern Sydney Area Health Services, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney 2031, Australia
J Antimicrob Chemother 52:856-9. 2003..Methods for screening for chloramphenicol resistance in meningococci and the in vitro parameters that define this resistance are ill defined...