Affiliation: University of New South Wales
- Surveillance of antibiotic resistance in Neisseria gonorrhoeae in the WHO Western Pacific Region, 1998. The WHO Western Pacific Gonococcal Antimicrobial Surveillance ProgrammeJ W Tapsall
Department of Microbiology, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Commun Dis Intell 24:1-4. 2000..Resistance to the later generation cephalosporins and to spectinomycin was absent or infrequent. Options for effective treatment of gonorrhoea in the region have been severely compromised by antibiotic resistance...
- Antibiotic resistance in Neisseria gonorrhoeae is diminishing available treatment options for gonorrhea: some possible remediesJohn Tapsall
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for STD and HIV, Microbiology Department, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 4:619-28. 2006..However, until a higher priority is given to funding for sexually transmitted diseases, this prospect is unlikely to eventuate and the possibility of untreatable gonorrhea becomes more real...
- Antibiotic resistance in Neisseria gonorrhoeaeJohn W Tapsall
Department of Microbiology, World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for STD and HIV, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Clin Infect Dis 41:S263-8. 2005..A sustained decrease in gonococcal disease requires an integrated approach combining improved prevention, better diagnosis, and effective treatment. Without continued commitment and effort, gonorrhea may well become untreatable...
- The 15th International Pathogenic Neisseria ConferenceJohn Tapsall
WHO Collaborating Centre for STD and HIV, Microbiology Department, South Eastern Area Laboratory Services, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney, Australia
Future Microbiol 1:363-4. 2006
- Applications of molecular testing in clinical laboratories for the diagnosis and control of gonorrheaJohn Tapsall
The Prince of Wales Hospital, WHO Collaborating Centre for STD and HIV, Microbiology Department, South Eastern Area Laboratory Services, Randwick, Sydney, Australia
Future Microbiol 1:317-24. 2006..These approaches, especially those for antimicrobial resistance determination, have been less successful for a number of reasons, including their cost and other unresolved issues...
- Analysis of trends in antimicrobial resistance in Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolated in Australia, 1997 2006J W Tapsall
Department of Microbiology, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, New South Wales, Australia
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:150-5. 2008..To analyse trends in antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in Neisseria gonorrhoeae (GC) isolated in Australia between 1997 and 2006 and to identify factors influencing emergence and spread of AMR in GC...
- Implications of current recommendations for third-generation cephalosporin use in the WHO Western Pacific Region following the emergence of multiresistant gonococciJ W Tapsall
WHO Collaborating Centre for STD, Microbiology Department, The Prince of Wales Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Sex Transm Infect 85:256-8. 2009..Additional efforts are urgently required for both disease and antibiotic resistance control in gonorrhoea...
- Monitoring antimicrobial resistance for public health actionJohn W Tapsall
WHO Collaborating Centre for STD and HIV, Microbiology Department, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 27:S70-4. 2003..Examples which illustrate the application of these principles are provided from experience with surveillance of AMR in the pathogenic Neisseria (N. gonorrhoeae and N. meningitidis)...
- Two cases of failed ceftriaxone treatment in pharyngeal gonorrhoea verified by molecular microbiological methodsJohn Tapsall
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for STD, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Med Microbiol 58:683-7. 2009..Different penA changes were detected in the N. gonorrhoeae isolated from the two cases. These were associated with raised ceftriaxone MICs of 0.03 and 0.016 mg l(-1), which may have contributed to the treatment failures in these cases...
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae and emerging resistance to extended spectrum cephalosporinsJohn W Tapsall
World Health Collaborating Centre for STDs, Department of Microbiology, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Curr Opin Infect Dis 22:87-91. 2009..Current clinical and laboratory perspectives on N. gonorrhoeae with decreased susceptibility to third-generation cephalosporins are provided...
- Characteristics and population dynamics of mosaic penA allele-containing Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolates collected in Sydney, Australia, in 2007-2008John W Tapsall
Neisseria Reference Laboratory, Microbiology Department, South Eastern Area Laboratory Services, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:554-6. 2010..Enhanced surveillance of gonococcal resistance to cephalosporins is necessary...
- Current concepts in the management of gonorrhoeaJohn Tapsall
World Health Organisation Collaborating Centre for STD and HIV, Microbiology Department, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney, Australia 2031
Expert Opin Pharmacother 3:147-57. 2002..In these circumstances the possibility that gonorrhoea will be untreatable becomes more real...
- Cefpodoxime 10 μg disc screening test for detection of Neisseria gonorrhoeae with mosaic PBP2 and decreased susceptibility to extended-spectrum cephalosporins for public health purposesAthena Limnios
WHO Collaborating Centre for STD, Microbiology Department, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney, Australia
APMIS 119:356-63. 2011..This test can be used in AMR surveillance programmes for public health purposes especially in less-resourced settings. Further studies to refine this disc testing-based approach are in progress...
- Annual report of the Australian Meningococcal Surveillance Programme, 2008John Tapsall
Department of Microbiology, SEALS, The Prince of Wales Hospital, High Street, Randwick NSW 2031
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 33:259-67. 2009..06-0.5 mg/L). All isolates remained susceptible to ceftriaxone. One isolate had reduced susceptibility to rifampicin and two to ciprofloxacin...
- Annual report of the Australian Meningococcal Surveillance Programme, 2007--AmendedJohn Tapsall
Department of Microbiology, SEALS, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 33:1-9. 2009..A single serogroup B isolate had decreased susceptibility to ciprofloxacin (MIC 0.06 mg/L). This was the first local isolate of this type since the original report of this phenomenon in Australia in 2000...
- Patterns of quinolone susceptibility in Campylobacter jejuni associated with different gyrA mutationsChristopher McIver
Department of Microbiology SEALS, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW, Australia
Pathology 36:166-9. 2004....
- Dynamics of appearance and expansion of a prolyliminopeptidase- negative subtype among Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolates collected in Sydney, Australia, from 2002 to 2005E Athena Limnios
Department of Microbiology, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Barker Street, Randwick, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 44:1400-4. 2006..Algorithms for confirmation of N. gonorrhoeae should take account of the temporal and geographic variability of gonococci by utilizing two or more distinct confirmatory methods...
- Meeting the public health challenge of multidrug- and extensively drug-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeaeJohn W Tapsall
WHO Collaborating Centre for STD, Microbiology Department, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney, Australia
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 7:821-34. 2009....
- Refining the public health response to primary meningococcal conjunctivitisRoslyn G Poulos
School of Public Health and Community Medicine, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 26:592-5. 2002..This assessment should include the severity of the conjunctivitis and the serogroup of the N. meningitidis isolate...
- In vitro assessment of the further potential for development of fluoroquinolone resistance in Neisseria meningitidisTiffany R Shultz
Department of Microbiology, South Eastern Area Laboratory Service, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney 2031, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:1753-60. 2005..This suggests that quinolone resistance in meningococci may arise in the same manner and reach similar levels in vivo to those seen in quinolone-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae...
- Chloramphenicol-resistant Neisseria meningitidis containing catP isolated in AustraliaTiffany R Shultz
Department of Microbiology, South Eastern Sydney Area Health Services, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney 2031, Australia
J Antimicrob Chemother 52:856-9. 2003..Methods for screening for chloramphenicol resistance in meningococci and the in vitro parameters that define this resistance are ill defined...
- Exploring 'best practice' for nucleic acid detection of Neisseria gonorrhoeaeDavid M Whiley
Queensland Paediatric Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Sir Albert Sakzewski Virus Research Centre, Royal Children s Hospital and Health Service District, Brisbane, QLD 4029, Australia
Sex Health 5:17-23. 2008..Further, we highlight the need to maintain culture-based testing for certain specimen sites as well as for antimicrobial resistance surveillance...
- Guidelines for the use and interpretation of nucleic acid detection tests for Neisseria gonorrhoeae in Australia: a position paper on behalf of the Public Health Laboratory NetworkDavid W Smith
Clinical Director, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, PathWest Laboratory Medicine WA, Nedlands, Western Australia
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 29:358-65. 2005..Recommendation 11: Public health practitioners need to define the relevant populations that need to be targeted and identify any that require enhanced surveillance...
- Plasmid-mediated resistance of Neisseria gonorrhoeae strains isolated from female sex workers in North Sumatra, Indonesia, 1996Xiaohong Su
Department of Respiratory Infections, Meningitis and STIs, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Sex Transm Dis 30:178-82. 2003..In 1996 a high prevalence of strains with plasmid-mediated resistance to tetracycline and penicillin was observed...
- Epidemiological characteristics and molecular basis of fluoroquinolone-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae strains isolated in Korea and nearby countriesDongeun Yong
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Research Institute of Bacterial Resistance and Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Sciences, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:451-5. 2004..This study was performed to examine the cause of the increase in quinolone-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae (QRNG) observed in Korea...
- The antimicrobial resistance containment and surveillance approach--a public health toolGunnar S Simonsen
Norwegian Surveillance System for Antimicrobial Drug Resistance NORM, Department of Microbiology, University Hospital of North Norway, N 9038 Tromsø, Norway
Bull World Health Organ 82:928-34. 2004..The ARCS approach is represented in the ARCS diagram (Fig. 2) which provides a simplified, but comprehensive illustration of the complex problem of containment and monitoring of AMR...
- Diversity of penA alterations and subtypes in Neisseria gonorrhoeae strains from Sydney, Australia, that are less susceptible to ceftriaxoneDavid M Whiley
Queensland Paediatric Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Sir Albert Sakzewski Virus Research Centre, Royal Children s Hospital and Health Service District, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3111-6. 2007..Overall, the results of our study show that N. gonorrhoeae strains exhibiting reduced sensitivity to ceftriaxone are not of a particular subtype and that a number of different mutations in PBP 2 may contribute to this phenomenon...
- Further questions regarding the role of mosaic penA sequences in conferring reduced susceptibility to ceftriaxone in Neisseria gonorrhoeaeDavid M Whiley
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:802-3. 2007
- Molecular tests can allow confirmation of invasive meningococcal disease when isolates yield atypical maltose, glucose or gamma-glutamyl peptidase test resultsAngelo Zaia
Microbiological Diagnostic Unit Public Health Laboratory, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Pathology 37:378-9. 2005....
- What management is there for gonorrhea in the postquinolone era?John W Tapsall
Sex Transm Dis 33:8-10. 2006
- Nucleic acid amplification testing for Neisseria gonorrhoeae: an ongoing challengeDavid M Whiley
Clinical Virology Research Unit, Sir Albert Sakzewski Virus Research Centre, Royal Children s Hospital and Health Service District, Herston Road, Herston, Queensland, Australia 4029
J Mol Diagn 8:3-15. 2006..The need to evaluate N. gonorrhoeae NAATs before their use in any new patient population and to educate physicians on the limitations of these tests is emphasized in this review...
- Probable transmission of meningococcal disease on a school busFrank H Beard
Med J Aust 184:90. 2006
- Evaluation of the Australian Gonococcal Surveillance ProgrammeGina Samaan
Surveillance Section, Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 29:143-9. 2005..The WHO questionnaire was found to be useful in undertaking the evaluation of the AGSP as it was simple and well-structured. However, the questionnaire needs to be expanded to include benchmarks that guide the assessment process...
- Late-onset and recurrent neonatal Group B streptococcal disease associated with breast-milk transmissionMichael Kotiw
Center for Biomedical Research, Department of Biological and Physical Sciences, Faculty of Sciences, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia 4350
Pediatr Dev Pathol 6:251-6. 2003..This study is significant in that it has demonstrated that maternal milk (in cases of either clinical or sub-clinical mastitis) can be a potential source of infection resulting in either late-onset or recurrent neonatal GBS disease...
- Evidence that the gonococcal porA pseudogene is present in a broad range of Neisseria gonorrhoeae strains; suitability as a diagnostic targetDavid M Whiley
Microbiology Unit, Canterbury Health Laboratories, Christchurch, New Zealand
Pathology 38:445-8. 2006..The primary aim of the study was to determine if the gonococcal porA pseudogene is a stable sequence target for the detection of Neisseria gonorrhoeae by PCR...
- Enhanced serological diagnosis of invasive meningococcal disease by determining anti-group C capsule IgM antibody by enzyme immunoassayMonica M Lahra
Department of Microbiology, South Eastern Area Laboratory Services, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, New South Wales, Australia
Pathology 37:239-41. 2005..To describe the development and evaluation of a diagnostic enzyme immunoassay (EIA) for IgM antibody to serogroup C capsular polysaccharide of Neisseria meningitidis (CCPS)...