Mark A Schembri
Affiliation: University of Queensland
- Phan M, Peters K, Sarkar S, Forde B, Lo A, Stanton Cook M, et al. Third-generation cephalosporin resistance conferred by a chromosomally encoded blaCMY-23 gene in the Escherichia coli ST131 reference strain EC958. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015;70:1969-72 pubmed publisher..This is the first known report to demonstrate the chromosomal location of blaCMY-23 in E. coli ST131. In EC958, CMY-23 plays a major role in resistance to third-generation cephalosporins and cephamycins. ..
- Wurpel D, Moriel D, Totsika M, Easton D, Schembri M. Comparative analysis of the uropathogenic Escherichia coli surface proteome by tandem mass-spectrometry of artificially induced outer membrane vesicles. J Proteomics. 2015;115:93-106 pubmed publisher..The method enables the rapid characterisation of the E. coli surface proteome and could easily be applied to the large-scale outer membrane protein profiling of other Gram-negative bacteria. ..
- Nichols K, Totsika M, Moriel D, Lo A, Yang J, Wurpel D, et al. Molecular Characterization of the Vacuolating Autotransporter Toxin in Uropathogenic Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2016;198:1487-98 pubmed publisher..Hence, Vat is a highly conserved and tightly regulated urosepsis-associated virulence factor. ..
- Sarkar S, Roberts L, Phan M, Tan L, Lo A, Peters K, et al. Comprehensive analysis of type 1 fimbriae regulation in fimB-null strains from the multidrug resistant Escherichia coli ST131 clone. Mol Microbiol. 2016;101:1069-87 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a comprehensive analysis of type 1 fimbriae regulation in ST131, and highlight important differences in its control compared to non-ST131 UPEC. ..
- Lo A, Moriel D, Phan M, Schulz B, Kidd T, Beatson S, et al. 'Omic' Approaches to Study Uropathogenic Escherichia coli Virulence. Trends Microbiol. 2017;25:729-740 pubmed publisher..Here we outline this progress and present a view for future developments using these exciting forefront technologies to fully comprehend UPEC pathogenesis in the context of infection. ..
- Martínez Gil M, Goh K, Rackaityte E, Sakamoto C, Audrain B, Moriel D, et al. YeeJ is an inverse autotransporter from Escherichia coli that binds to peptidoglycan and promotes biofilm formation. Sci Rep. 2017;7:11326 pubmed publisher..Overall, our work provides new insight into YeeJ as a member of the recently defined IAT class, and contributes to our understanding of how commensal and pathogenic E. coli colonise their environments. ..
- Goh K, Phan M, Forde B, Chong T, Yin W, Chan K, et al. Genome-Wide Discovery of Genes Required for Capsule Production by Uropathogenic Escherichia coli. MBio. 2017;8: pubmed publisher..Our comprehensive approach uncovered new genes involved in the regulation of this key virulence determinant. ..
- Djoko K, Achard M, Phan M, Lo A, Miraula M, Prombhul S, et al. Copper Ions and Coordination Complexes as Novel Carbapenem Adjuvants. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018;62: pubmed publisher..Overall, this work demonstrates the potential use of copper coordination complexes as novel carbapenemase adjuvants. ..
- Abraham S, Chapman T, Zhang R, Chin J, Mabbett A, Totsika M, et al. Molecular characterization of Escherichia coli strains that cause symptomatic and asymptomatic urinary tract infections. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:1027-30 pubmed publisher..coli strains that cause UTIs. Comparative analysis identified a subgroup of strains with a high number of virulence genes (VGs) and microcins M/H47. We also identified associations between microcin genes, VGs, and specific plasmid types...