P S Sachdev
Affiliation: University of New South Wales
- Sachdev P, Chen X, Wen W. White matter hyperintensities in mid-adult life. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2008;21:268-74 pubmed publisher..Standardized methods to examine such pathology and its determinants will help inform strategies for their prevention, which is an important component of a healthy ageing agenda. ..
- Sachdev P, Chen X, Joscelyne A, Wen W, Altendorf A, Brodaty H. Hippocampal size and dementia in stroke patients: the Sydney stroke study. J Neurol Sci. 2007;260:71-7 pubmed..The hippocampus volume relates to episodic memory, especially right hippocampus and new visual learning. A longitudinal study of these subjects will determine whether hippocampal atrophy is a late development in VaD. ..
- Brodaty H, Woolf C, Andersen S, Barzilai N, Brayne C, Cheung K, et al. ICC-dementia (International Centenarian Consortium - dementia): an international consortium to determine the prevalence and incidence of dementia in centenarians across diverse ethnoracial and sociocultural groups. BMC Neurol. 2016;16:52 pubmed publisher..A specific challenge for ICC-Dementia relates to the concept and definition of'abnormal' in this exceptional group of individuals who are rarely free of physical, sensory and/or cognitive impairments. ..
- Lipnicki D, Crawford J, Kochan N, Trollor J, Draper B, Reppermund S, et al. Risk Factors for Mild Cognitive Impairment, Dementia and Mortality: The Sydney Memory and Ageing Study. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017;18:388-395 pubmed publisher..Tests for slower walking speed and poorer smelling ability may help screen for cognitive decline. Individuals with normal cognition are at greater risk of future cognitive impairment if they have a history of MCI. ..
- Chopra S, Shaw M, Shaw T, Sachdev P, Anstey K, Cherbuin N. More highly myelinated white matter tracts are associated with faster processing speed in healthy adults. Neuroimage. 2018;171:332-340 pubmed publisher..The present results indicate that myelin content, estimated in vivo using a neuroimaging approach in healthy older adults, is sufficiently precise to predict variability in processing speed in behavioural measures. ..
- Sachdev P, Andrews G, Hobbs M, Sunderland M, Anderson T. Neurocognitive disorders: cluster 1 of the proposed meta-structure for DSM-V and ICD-11. Psychol Med. 2009;39:2001-12 pubmed publisher..Further developments in the aetiopathogenesis of these disorders will enhance the clinical utility of this cluster. ..
- Sachdev P, Thalamuthu A, Mather K, Ames D, Wright M, Wen W. White Matter Hyperintensities Are Under Strong Genetic Influence. Stroke. 2016;47:1422-8 pubmed publisher..The genetic influence is higher in women, and there is an age-related decline, most markedly for deep WMH. The data suggest some heterogeneity in the pathogenesis of WMH for different brain regions and for men and women. ..
- Sachdev P, Lipnicki D, Kochan N, Crawford J, Rockwood K, Xiao S, et al. COSMIC (Cohort Studies of Memory in an International Consortium): an international consortium to identify risk and protective factors and biomarkers of cognitive ageing and dementia in diverse ethnic and sociocultural groups. BMC Neurol. 2013;13:165 pubmed publisher..COSMIC could potentially transform our understanding of the epidemiology of cognitive ageing, and have a world-wide impact on promoting successful ageing. ..
- Sachdev P, Zhuang L, Braidy N, Wen W. Is Alzheimer's a disease of the white matter?. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2013;26:244-51 pubmed publisher..White matter abnormalities not only represent an early neuropathological event in Alzheimer's disease but may also play an important role in the pathogenesis and diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Yang Z, Wen W, Jiang J, Crawford J, Reppermund S, Levitan C, et al. Age-associated differences on structural brain MRI in nondemented individuals from 71 to 103 years. Neurobiol Aging. 2016;40:86-97 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrated heterogeneous differences across brain regions between the oldest old and young old, with an emphasis on hippocampus, temporoposterior cortex, and white matter hyperintensities. ..
- Gates N, Sachdev P, Fiatarone Singh M, Valenzuela M. Cognitive and memory training in adults at risk of dementia: a systematic review. BMC Geriatr. 2011;11:55 pubmed publisher..However, the number of high quality RCTs remains low, and so further trials must be a priority. Several suggestions for the better design of cognitive training trials are provided. ..
- Eramudugolla R, Mortby M, Sachdev P, Meslin C, Kumar R, Anstey K. Evaluation of a research diagnostic algorithm for DSM-5 neurocognitive disorders in a population-based cohort of older adults. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2017;9:15 pubmed publisher..Expert diagnosis using DSM-5 NCD criteria captured most cases with DSM-IV dementia and MCI in our sample, but included many additional cases suggesting that DSM-5 criteria are broader in their categorization. ..
- Wong M, Braidy N, Poljak A, Pickford R, Thambisetty M, Sachdev P. Dysregulation of lipids in Alzheimer's disease and their role as potential biomarkers. Alzheimers Dement. 2017;13:810-827 pubmed publisher..Important considerations for designing large-scale lipidomics experiments are discussed to help standardize findings across different laboratories, as well as challenges associated with moving toward clinical application. ..
- Muenchhoff J, Song F, Poljak A, Crawford J, Mather K, Kochan N, et al. Plasma apolipoproteins and physical and cognitive health in very old individuals. Neurobiol Aging. 2017;55:49-60 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest levels of some apolipoproteins, especially ApoE, are associated with lifespan and cognitive function in exceptionally long-lived individuals. ..
- Sachdev P, Mohan A. An International Curriculum for Neuropsychiatry and Behavioural Neurology. Rev Colomb Psiquiatr. 2017;46 Suppl 1:18-27 pubmed publisher..The future of Neuropsychiatry (or Behavioural Neurology) as a discipline will be influenced by the successful adoption of such a unified training curriculum. ..
- Sachdev P, Saharov T. The effects of beta-adrenoceptor antagonists on a rat model of neuroleptic-induced akathisia. Psychiatry Res. 1997;72:133-40 pubmed..The B-antagonist drugs significantly reduced the cataleptic effect of haloperidol and this effect warrants further examination...
- Sachdev P, Brune M. Animal models of acute drug-induced akathisia - a review. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2000;24:269-77 pubmed..It is also necessary to consider the subtypes of akathisia in the attempts to develop these models...
- Sachdev P, Saharov T. Effects of specific dopamine D1 and D2 receptor antagonists and agonists and neuroleptic drugs on emotional defecation in a rat model of akathisia. Psychiatry Res. 1998;81:323-32 pubmed..It is unlikely to be due to actions of neuroleptics on 5HT2 or alpha1 receptors as has sometimes been suggested. The results have implications for our understanding of the pathogenesis of akathisia...