Affiliation: University of Melbourne
- A systematic review of school-based interventions aimed at preventing, treating, and responding to suicide- related behavior in young peopleJo Robinson
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, University of Melbourne, Australia
Crisis 34:164-82. 2013..Aims: To review the empirical literature pertaining to suicide postvention, prevention, and early intervention, specifically in school settings...
- Preventing suicide in young people: systematic reviewJo Robinson
Centre for Youth Mental Health, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 45:3-26. 2011..The aim of this study was to conduct a systematic review and meta-analysis of all randomized controlled trials testing interventions for adolescents and young adults who have presented to a clinical setting with any of these behaviours...
- Does screening high school students for psychological distress, deliberate self-harm, or suicidal ideation cause distress--and is it acceptable? An Australian-based studyJo Robinson
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Centre for Youth Mental Health, University of Melbourne, 35 Poplar Road, Parkville, VIC 3052, Australia
Crisis 32:254-63. 2011..Programs designed to detect students at risk of depression and suicidality have shown success (Shaffer et al., 2004)...
- Study protocol: the development of a randomised controlled trial testing a postcard intervention designed to reduce suicide risk among young help-seekersJo Robinson
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne Locked Bag 10, Victoria, Australia
BMC Psychiatry 9:59. 2009..The aim of the study is to test a postcard intervention among people aged 15-24 who presented to mental health services but are not accepted, yet are at risk of suicide...
- Interventions to reduce suicides at suicide hotspots: a systematic reviewGeorgina R Cox
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Centre for Youth Mental Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
BMC Public Health 13:214. 2013..Suicide hotspots' include tall structures (for example, bridges and cliffs), railway tracks, and isolated locations (for example, rural car parks) which offer direct means for suicide or seclusion that prevents intervention...
- Sudden death among young people with first-episode psychosis: An 8-10 year follow-up studyJo Robinson
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, 35 Poplar Road, Parkville Victoria 3052, Melbourne, Australia
Psychiatry Res 177:305-8. 2010..A previous suicide attempt was very common amongst those who died, suggesting that future research could focus upon the development of interventions for young people with FEP who engage in suicidal behaviour...
- Can receipt of a regular postcard reduce suicide-related behaviour in young help seekers? A randomized controlled trialJo Robinson
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Centre for Youth Mental Health, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Early Interv Psychiatry 6:145-52. 2012..The aim of the study was to test a postcard intervention among people aged 15-24 who presented to mental health services but were not accepted, yet were at risk of suicide...
- The effectiveness of structural interventions at suicide hotspots: a meta-analysisJane Pirkis
Centre for Health Policy, Programs and Economics, Melbourne School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 42:541-8. 2013..Structural interventions (e.g. barriers and safety nets) have been installed at some of these sites. Individual studies examining the effectiveness of these interventions have been underpowered...
- Study protocol: The development of a pilot study employing a randomised controlled design to investigate the feasibility and effects of a peer support program following discharge from a specialist first-episode psychosis treatment centreJo Robinson
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Centre for Youth Mental Health, Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Locked Bag 10, 35 Poplar Road, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
BMC Psychiatry 10:37. 2010....
- Research priorities in suicide prevention in Australia. A comparison of current research efforts and stakeholder-identified prioritiesJo Robinson
ORYGEN Research Centre, University of Melbourne, Australia
Crisis 29:180-90. 2008..A strategic approach to suicide prevention research will help fill internationally-identified gaps in knowledge about what works and what doesn't work in suicide prevention...
- Validity of the 12-item General Health Questionnaire (GHQ-12) in detecting depressive and anxiety disorders among high school studentsGennady Nickolaevich Baksheev
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Victoria, Australia
Psychiatry Res 187:291-6. 2011..This can assist with the early identification and enable low stigma preventive intervention within the school environment...
- Suicide clusters in young people: evidence for the effectiveness of postvention strategiesGeorgina R Cox
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Centre for Youth Mental Health, University of Melbourne, Australia
Crisis 33:208-14. 2012..Suicide clusters have commonly been documented in adolescents and young people...
- Managing deliberate self-harm in young people: an evaluation of a training program developed for school welfare staff using a longitudinal research designJo Robinson
Department of Psychiatry, ORYGEN Research Centre, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Australia
BMC Psychiatry 8:75. 2008..The current study aimed to design, deliver and evaluate a training course specifically for school staff...
- Predicting suicidal risk in a cohort of depressed children and adolescentsSarah E Hetrick
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Centre for Youth Mental Health, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Crisis 33:13-20. 2012..These findings may help to provide direction for targeted interventions to address these clinical risk factors...
- Prevalence and predictors of suicide attempt in an incidence cohort of 661 young people with first-episode psychosisJo Robinson
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 43:149-57. 2009..The aims of the present study were therefore to examine the prevalence and predictors of suicide and suicide attempt before and during the first 18-24 months of treatment...
- Australia's National Suicide Prevention Strategy: the next chapterJo Robinson
ORYGEN Research Centre, University of Melbourne, 35 Poplar Road, Parkville, Melbourne, VIC 3052, Australia
Aust Health Rev 30:271-6. 2006..This balance should be re-dressed and the opportunity should be taken to build the evidence-base regarding suicide prevention. Such steps have the potential to maximise the impact of suicide prevention activities in Australia...