Helena M Purkis
Affiliation: University of Queensland
- Automatic attention does not equal automatic fear: preferential attention without implicit valenceHelena M Purkis
School of Psychology, University of Queensland, QLD, Australia
Emotion 7:314-23. 2007..The authors suggest that although snakes and spiders are preferentially attended to, negative evaluations are not automatically elicited during this processing...
- But what about the Empress of Racnoss? The allocation of attention to spiders and Doctor Who in a visual search task is predicted by fear and expertiseHelena M Purkis
School of Psychology, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Emotion 11:1484-8. 2011..Where this leaves the Empress of Racnoss, we are unsure...
- Startle blink facilitation during the go signal of a reaction time task is not affected by movement preparation or attention to the go signalOttmar V Lipp
School of Psychology, The University of Queensland, QLD 4072, Australia
Neurosci Lett 427:94-8. 2007..This finding suggests that the blink reflex facilitation observed at a SOA of 0 ms with the onset of a go signal reflects on the summation of sub- and supra-threshold activations of the startle pathway...
- Better safe than sorry: simplistic fear-relevant stimuli capture attentionSarah J Forbes
University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Cogn Emot 25:794-804. 2011..The three experiments indicate that even very simplistic images of fear-relevant animals can divert attention...
- Modality-specific attentional startle modulation during continuous performance tasks: a brief time is sufficientSakinah S J Alhadad
School of Psychology, University of Queensland, Queensland, 4072, Australia
Psychophysiology 45:1068-78. 2008..This suggests that the continuous nature of a task is not critical in determining the attentional mechanisms engaged...
- Reaction time facilitation by acoustic task-irrelevant stimuli is not related to startleOttmar V Lipp
School of Psychology, University of Queensland, QLD 4072, Australia
Neurosci Lett 409:124-7. 2006..This finding suggests that the RT facilitation is not mediated by the startle reflex elicited by the accessory acoustic stimuli...
- The effects of assessment type on verbal ratings of conditional stimulus valence and contingency judgments: implications for the extinction of evaluative learningOttmar V Lipp
School of Psychology, The University of Queensland, QLD, Australia
J Exp Psychol Anim Behav Process 32:431-40. 2006....
- The effect of startle reflex habituation on cardiac defense: interference between two protective reflexesMaria Carmen Fernandez
Department of Physiology, University of Granada, Spain
Int J Psychophysiol 69:27-32. 2008..This pattern of results indicates that habituation to startle eliciting stimuli will impair defense reflexes elicited on subsequent test trials and suggests some interrelation between the two reflex systems...