Huu Hao Ngo
Affiliation: University of Technology
- Do M, Ngo H, Guo W, Liu Y, Chang S, Nguyen D, et al. Challenges in the application of microbial fuel cells to wastewater treatment and energy production: A mini review. Sci Total Environ. 2018;639:910-920 pubmed publisher..This paper explores several aspects of MFCs such as anode, cathode and membrane, and in an effort to overcome the practical challenges of this system. ..
- Tran N, Urase T, Ngo H, Hu J, Ong S. Insight into metabolic and cometabolic activities of autotrophic and heterotrophic microorganisms in the biodegradation of emerging trace organic contaminants. Bioresour Technol. 2013;146:721-731 pubmed publisher..The presence of a growth substrate promotes cometabolic biodegradation of EOCs. Potential strategies for enhancing the biodegradation of EOCs were also proposed in this review. ..
- Nguyen N, Chen S, Nguyen H, Ray S, Ngo H, Guo W, et al. Innovative sponge-based moving bed-osmotic membrane bioreactor hybrid system using a new class of draw solution for municipal wastewater treatment. Water Res. 2016;91:305-13 pubmed publisher..The overall performance of the SMB-OsMBR hybrid system using MgCl2 coupled with Triton X-114 as the draw solution demonstrates its potential application in wastewater treatment. ..
- Deng L, Guo W, Ngo H, Zhang X, Wang X, Zhang Q, et al. New functional biocarriers for enhancing the performance of a hybrid moving bed biofilm reactor-membrane bioreactor system. Bioresour Technol. 2016;208:87-93 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that the sponge modified biocarriers were capable of improving overall MBBR performance and substantially alleviated membrane fouling of the subsequent MBR unit. ..
- Bui X, Vo T, Ngo H, Guo W, Nguyen T. Multicriteria assessment of advanced treatment technologies for micropollutants removal at large-scale applications. Sci Total Environ. 2016;563-564:1050-67 pubmed publisher..It will then assess these methods in various case-studies with reference to different criteria towards serving as a reference for further practical applications. ..
- Deng L, Guo W, Ngo H, Du B, Wei Q, Tran N, et al. Effects of hydraulic retention time and bioflocculant addition on membrane fouling in a sponge-submerged membrane bioreactor. Bioresour Technol. 2016;210:11-7 pubmed publisher..67h demonstrated superior sludge characteristics such as larger floc size, less SMP in mixed liquor with higher protein/polysaccharide ratio, less SMP and BPC in cake layer, thereby further preventing membrane fouling. ..
- Ye Y, Ngo H, Guo W, Liu Y, Li J, Liu Y, et al. Insight into chemical phosphate recovery from municipal wastewater. Sci Total Environ. 2017;576:159-171 pubmed publisher..Moreover, an analysis on their applications at plant-scale is also presented. The properties of recovered phosphate and its impact on crops and plants are also assessed with a discussion on the economic feasibility of the technologies. ..
- Deng L, Guo W, Ngo H, Zhang H, Wang J, Li J, et al. Biofouling and control approaches in membrane bioreactors. Bioresour Technol. 2016;221:656-665 pubmed publisher..This also suggests to a better way in controlling biofouling by developing new integrated MBR systems, novel flocculants and biomass carriers. ..
- Zhang Q, Jin P, Ngo H, Shi X, Guo W, Yang S, et al. Transformation and utilization of slowly biodegradable organic matters in biological sewage treatment of anaerobic anoxic oxic systems. Bioresour Technol. 2016;218:53-61 pubmed publisher..Long hours of microbial reaction increased the proportion of micromolecular substances. This particular increase generated significant bioavailability, which can greatly improve the efficiency of nitrogen removal. ..
- Zhang Q, Yang W, Ngo H, Guo W, Jin P, Dzakpasu M, et al. Current status of urban wastewater treatment plants in China. Environ Int. 2016;92-93:11-22 pubmed publisher..The challenges of WWTPs are discussed with the aim of developing rational criteria and appropriate technologies for water recycling. Suggestions regarding potential technical and administrative measures are provided. ..
- Nguyen N, Nguyen H, Ho S, Chen S, Ngo H, Guo W, et al. Exploring high charge of phosphate as new draw solute in a forward osmosis-membrane distillation hybrid system for concentrating high-nutrient sludge. Sci Total Environ. 2016;557-558:44-50 pubmed publisher..45?m was the most effective in achieving a high water flux (10.28L/m(2)h) and high salt rejection (approximately 100%) in a diluted Na3PO4 draw solution. ..
- Zuthi M, Guo W, Ngo H, Nghiem D, Hai F, Xia S, et al. New and practical mathematical model of membrane fouling in an aerobic submerged membrane bioreactor. Bioresour Technol. 2017;238:86-94 pubmed publisher..The model was validated using experimental data obtained from a lab-scale aerobic sponge-submerged membrane bioreactor (MBR), and the simulation of the model agreed well with the experimental findings. ..
- Nguyen N, Chen S, Jain S, Nguyen H, Ray S, Ngo H, et al. Exploration of an innovative draw solution for a forward osmosis-membrane distillation desalination process. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2018;25:5203-5211 pubmed publisher..45 μm proved to be the most effective in achieving a high salt rejection (99.90%) and high water flux (5.41 LMH) in a diluted draw solution. ..
- Luo L, Duan N, Wang X, Guo W, Ngo H. New thermodynamic entropy calculation based approach towards quantifying the impact of eutrophication on water environment. Sci Total Environ. 2017;603-604:86-93 pubmed publisher..9kJ/K and 1870.1kJ/K, respectively. Consequently, P discharge control would be more important for environmental water protection. ..
- Liu Y, Li J, Guo W, Ngo H, Hu J, Gao M. Use of magnetic powder to effectively improve the performance of sequencing batch reactors (SBRs) in municipal wastewater treatment. Bioresour Technol. 2018;248:135-139 pubmed publisher..Adding magnetic powder in the SBR significantly affected the microbial diversity and richness of activated sludge, consequently affecting the reactor performance. ..
- Cheng D, Ngo H, Guo W, Liu Y, Zhou J, Chang S, et al. Bioprocessing for elimination antibiotics and hormones from swine wastewater. Sci Total Environ. 2018;621:1664-1682 pubmed publisher..As such, modified conventional biological processes, advanced biological technologies and MBR hybrid systems are considered as a promising technology for removing toxicants from swine wastewater. ..
- Phan T, Van Truong T, Ha N, Nguyen P, Bui X, Dang B, et al. High rate nitrogen removal by ANAMMOX internal circulation reactor (IC) for old landfill leachate treatment. Bioresour Technol. 2017;234:281-288 pubmed publisher..45%) in the IC reactor, whereas other species like uncultured Bacteroidetes bacterium only constituted 5.37% in the system, but they were still responsible for removing recalcitrant organic matter. ..
- Gao T, Chen R, Wang X, Ngo H, Li Y, Zhou J, et al. Application of disease burden to quantitative assessment of health hazards for a decentralized water reuse system. Sci Total Environ. 2016;551-552:83-91 pubmed publisher..A correlation between exposure dose and disease was obtained by introducing a modified calculation of morbidity, which can extend the assessment endpoint of health risk to disease burden from the conventional infection rate. ..