Alexander Cowell McFarlane
Affiliation: University of Adelaide
- The contribution of epidemiology to the study of traumatic stressAlexander McFarlane
University of Adelaide, Dept of Psychiatry, Level 1 Maternity Wing, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woodville 5011, Australia
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 39:874-82. 2004..Of particular importance is the apparent longevity of the influence that these events have on psychological adjustment...
- Biologic models of traumatic memories and post-traumatic stress disorder. The role of neural networksAlexander C McFarlane
Department of Psychiatry, Adelaide University, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woodville, South Australia 5011, Australia
Psychiatr Clin North Am 25:253-70, v. 2002..Therefore, a neural network model of PTSD provides a method for conceptualizing the onset of PTSD symptoms and their subsequent modification with the passage of time...
- After the fires: looking to the future using the lessons from the pastAlexander C McFarlane
Centre for Military and Veterans Health, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Med J Aust 190:291-2. 2009..Victims of previous disasters have helped us learn much that can help those suffering now...
- Military deployment: the impact on children and family adjustment and the need for careAlexander C McFarlane
University of Adelaide, The Centre for Military and Veterans Health, Adelaide, South Australia
Curr Opin Psychiatry 22:369-73. 2009..Whereas there is an extensive clinical literature about the developmental challenges facing children and issues of family adjustment, there is a lack of systematic research. This review summarizes the findings of recent publications...
- Mental health services required after disasters: learning from the lasting effects of disastersA C McFarlane
Department of Psychiatry, Centre for Traumatic Stress Studies, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia
Depress Res Treat 2012:970194. 2012....
- The relationship between Hippocampal asymmetry and working memory processing in combat-related PTSD - a monozygotic twin studyTimothy Hall
Discipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Biol Mood Anxiety Disord 2:21. 2012..abstract:..
- Traumatic events, other operational stressors and physical and mental health reported by Australian Defence Force personnel following peacekeeping and war-like deploymentsMichael Waller
The University of Queensland, Centre for Military and Veterans Health, Mayne Medical School, University of Queensland, Herston, QLD 4006, Australia
BMC Psychiatry 12:88. 2012..The association between stressful events on warlike deployments and subsequent mental health problems has been established. Less is known about the effects of stressful events on peacekeeping deployments...
- Health surveillance of deployed military personnel occasionally leads to unexpected findingsAlexander C McFarlane
Centre for Traumatic Stress Studies, University of Adelaide, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia
BMC Med 10:126. 2012..Military personnel evacuated due to physical illness require similar screening and monitoring for the risk of PTSD to those injured who are already known to be at high risk...
- The impact of traumatic stressors in civilian occupational settingsAlexander C McFarlane
Centre for Military and Veterans Health, School of Population Health and Clinical Practice, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia 5005, Australia
J Public Health Policy 30:311-27. 2009..Against this background, there is a case for routine screening on an annual basis for those at risk...
- A longitudinal analysis of alcohol consumption and the risk of posttraumatic symptomsA C McFarlane
Centre for Military and Veterans Health, University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
J Affect Disord 118:166-72. 2009..Previous studies investigating the impact of alcohol ingestion on the emergence of posttraumatic psychological symptoms have generated contradictory findings...
- Post-traumatic stress disorder in occupational settings: anticipating and managing the riskAlexander C McFarlane
Centre of Military and Veterans Health, University of Adelaide, 122 Frome Street, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia
Occup Med (Lond) 57:404-10. 2007..The challenge is to minimize the injury to individuals and lessen the cost to organizations through the optimal application of preventative strategies...
- Stress-related musculoskeletal painAlexander Cowell McFarlane
Centre for Military and Veterans Health, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 21:549-65. 2007..Treatment depends on thorough assessment, including psychiatric diagnosis, avoiding simplistic attributions and implementing evidence-based treatments that are well documented...
- Prevalence of victimization, posttraumatic stress disorder and violent behaviour in the seriously mentally illAlexander McFarlane
Centre for Military and Veterans Health, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 40:1010-5. 2006....
- The impact of early life stress on psychophysiological, personality and behavioral measures in 740 non-clinical subjectsAlexander McFarlane
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Adelaide, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woodville, SA 5011, Australia
J Integr Neurosci 4:27-40. 2005..000, R2=.24), independent of age, gender and type of stressor. In conclusion, we highlight the impact of a history of ELS showed significant effects on brain function (EEG and ERP activity), personality dimensions and nicotine dependence...