Sarah J Lord
Affiliation: University of Sydney
- When is measuring sensitivity and specificity sufficient to evaluate a diagnostic test, and when do we need randomized trials?Sarah J Lord
National Health and Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Centre, The University of Sydney, Sydney, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Ann Intern Med 144:850-5. 2006....
- Australian clinical trial activity and burden of disease: an analysis of registered trials in National Health Priority AreasJacquelyne Lam
NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 203:97-101. 2015..To assess whether Australian clinical trials activity in National Health Priority Areas (NHPAs) reflects the relative disease burden...
- Expenditure and resource utilisation for cervical screening in AustraliaJie Bin Lew
Cancer Research Division, Cancer Council NSW, 153 Dowling Street, Woolloomooloo, Sydney, NSW 2011, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 12:446. 2012..This study aimed to provide a baseline for such a review by quantifying screening program resource utilisation and costs in 2010...
- Cervical cancer screening in Australia: modelled evaluation of the impact of changing the recommended interval from two to three yearsPrudence Creighton
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, Cancer Council NSW, Sydney, Australia
BMC Public Health 10:734. 2010..The aim of the current evaluation was to assess the epidemiologic outcomes and cost implications of changing the recommended screening interval in Australia to 3 years...
- Polymorphisms in genes involved in estrogen and progesterone metabolism and mammographic density changes in women randomized to postmenopausal hormone therapy: results from a pilot studySarah J Lord
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Breast Cancer Res 7:R336-44. 2005..Identifying genetic variants that determine increases in mammographic density in hormone users may be important in understanding hormonal carcinogenesis of the breast...
- Using patient management as a surrogate for patient health outcomes in diagnostic test evaluationLukas P Staub
NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
BMC Med Res Methodol 12:12. 2012..There is a lack of guidance on the interpretation of this evidence, and patient management studies often neglect a discussion of the limitations of measuring patient management as a surrogate for health outcomes...
- Breast cancer risk and hormone receptor status in older women by parity, age of first birth, and breastfeeding: a case-control studySarah J Lord
National Health and Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:1723-30. 2008..Early age at first birth and multiparity reduce the risk of estrogen receptor-progesterone receptor (ERPR)-positive breast cancer, whereas breastfeeding reduces the risk of both ERPR-positive and ERPR-negative cancers...
- Incidence of metastatic breast cancer in an Australian population-based cohort of women with non-metastatic breast cancer at diagnosisSarah J Lord
National Health and Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 196:688-92. 2012..To estimate the incidence of metastatic breast cancer (MBC) in Australian women with an initial diagnosis of non-metastatic breast cancer...
- Breast cancer screening: emerging role of new imaging techniques as adjuncts to mammographyNehmat Houssami
Screening and Test Evaluation Program, School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 190:493-7. 2009..Emerging evidence and improved CAD technology are likely to help define its role in breast screening...
- Systematic review of the impact of endoscopic ultrasound on the management of patients with esophageal cancerSuzanne M Dyer
NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, The University of Sydney, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 24:25-35. 2008..This study aims to determine the impact of EUS for esophageal cancer staging on patient management and survival...
- Value of magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography in the diagnosis of biliary abnormalities in postcholecystectomy patients: a probabilistic cost-effectiveness analysis of diagnostic strategiesKirsten Howard
School of Public Health, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 22:109-18. 2006..A model was constructed to compare the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of MRCP and ERCP in patients with a previous history of cholecystectomy, presenting with abdominal pain and/or abnormal liver function tests...
- What is the value of computered tomography colonography in patients screening positive for fecal occult blood? A systematic review and economic evaluationSilke Walleser
National Health and Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:1439-46; quiz 1368. 2007..Because of high false-positive rates for FOBT, concerns have been raised about patient uptake and access to colonoscopy services. This study assessed the value of CTC as an alternative to colonoscopy in FOBT-positive individuals...
- Early decline in cancer antigen 125 as a surrogate for progression-free survival in recurrent ovarian cancerChee K Lee
NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, Locked Bag 77, Camperdown, Sydney, NSW 1450, Australia
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:1338-42. 2011..80, 95% CI = 0.68 to 0.94, P = .007). These findings are opposite to what would be expected if these markers were good surrogates for treatment benefit...
- A cost-effectiveness analysis of in-vitro fertilization by maternal age and number of treatment attemptsAlison Griffiths
NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, The University of Sydney, Camperdown, NSW 2050, Australia
Hum Reprod 25:924-31. 2010..A decision analytic model was designed to estimate the incremental cost-effectiveness of IVF by additional treatment programmes and maternal age...
- Molecular biomarkers to individualise treatment: assessing the evidenceChee K Lee
NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 190:631-6. 2009....
- Accuracy and surgical impact of magnetic resonance imaging in breast cancer staging: systematic review and meta-analysis in detection of multifocal and multicentric cancerNehmat Houssami
Screening and Test Evaluation Program, School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
J Clin Oncol 26:3248-58. 2008..Randomized trials are needed to determine the clinical value of detecting additional disease which changes surgical treatment in women with apparently localized breast cancer...
- Clinical validation study to measure the performance of the Nerve Root Sedimentation Sign for the diagnosis of lumbar spinal stenosisLukas P Staub
NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, Camperdown NSW 1450, Australia
Contemp Clin Trials 32:470-4. 2011..The observed proportion of discordant test results will help inform the design of future randomised controlled trials of the Sedimentation Sign...
- Cost analysis of Gamma Knife stereotactic radiosurgeryAlison Griffiths
NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, Camperdown, New South Wales 2050, Austria
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 23:488-94. 2007..However, some countries including Australia have not recommended additional reimbursement for dedicated systems. This study compares the costs of Linac radiosurgery with Gamma Knife radiosurgery...
- The relative benefits and costs of solid phase bead technology to detect preformed donor specific antihuman leukocyte antigen antibodies in determining suitability for kidney transplantationHung T Do Nguyen
1 School of Medicine and Pharmacology, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia 2 Department of Renal Medicine, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth, Australia 3 Sydney School of Public Health, The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia 4 Centre for Kidney Research, The Children s Hospital at Westmead and Centre for Transplant and Renal Research, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia 5 NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia 6 School of Medicine, The University of Notre Dame Australia, Sydney, Australia
Transplantation 99:957-64. 2015....
- Risk assessment to guide prostate cancer screening decisions: a cost-effectiveness analysisAndrew J Martin
NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 198:546-50. 2013..To apply the most recent evidence from randomised trials of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) screening and explore the potential value of risk assessments to guide the use of PSA screening in practice...
- Using the principles of randomized controlled trial design to guide test evaluationSarah J Lord
National Health and Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2050, Australia
Med Decis Making 29:E1-E12. 2009..Long-term RCTs will not be necessary if it is valid to use other sources of evidence to address these questions. Validity will depend on issues such as the spectrum of patients identified by the old and new test strategies...
- A systematic review and economic analysis of drug-eluting coronary stents available in AustraliaSarah J Lord
National Health and Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, Locked Bag 77, Camperdown, NSW 2050, Australia
Med J Aust 183:464-71. 2005..To compare the safety, effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of drug-eluting coronary stents used in Australia with bare-metal stents and determine whether the benefits are greater for high-risk subgroups...
- Reproductive factors and risk of breast carcinoma in a study of white and African-American womenGiske Ursin
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
Cancer 101:353-62. 2004....