Joshua R Lewis
Affiliation: University of Western Australia
- Calcium supplementation and the risks of atherosclerotic vascular disease in older women: results of a 5-year RCT and a 4.5-year follow-upJoshua R Lewis
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Perth, Australia
J Bone Miner Res 26:35-41. 2011..This trial provides compelling evidence that calcium supplementation of 1200 mg daily does not significantly increase the risk of atherosclerotic vascular disease in elderly women...
- Long-term effects of a protein-enriched diet on blood pressure in older womenJonathan M Hodgson
Royal Perth Hospital Unit, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, GPO Box X2213, Perth, Western Australia 6847, Australia
Br J Nutr 107:1664-72. 2012..Therefore, the present study did not provide evidence that a higher whey protein intake in older women can have prolonged effects on blood pressure...
- Adverse events from calcium supplementation: relationship to errors in myocardial infarction self-reporting in randomized controlled trials of calcium supplementationJoshua R Lewis
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
J Bone Miner Res 27:719-22. 2012..45, 95% CI 0.88-2.45, p = 0.145). These data support the hypothesis that calcium tablets increase the incidence of adverse GI events, which may account for an increase in self-reported MI in calcium treated patients but not controls...
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate as an independent predictor of atherosclerotic vascular disease in older womenJoshua R Lewis
University of Western Australia, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital Unit, Perth, Australia
BMC Nephrol 13:58. 2012..We sought to investigate the role of renal function in the prediction of 10-year atherosclerotic vascular hospitalization and deaths in an unselected population of elderly women in and compared these predictions to Framingham equations...
- A non-synonymous coding change in the CYP19A1 gene Arg264Cys (rs700519) does not affect circulating estradiol, bone structure or fractureJenny Z Wang
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA, Australia
BMC Med Genet 12:165. 2011..The aim of this study is to investigate whether a non-synonymous Arg264Cys (rs700519) single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) is associated with altered levels of circulating estradiol, areal bone mineral density or fracture...
- "'Timed up and go' test and bone mineral density measurement for fracture predictionKun Zhu
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia
Arch Intern Med 171:1655-61. 2011....
- Copy number variation of the APC gene is associated with regulation of bone mineral densityShelby Chew
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands 6009, Australia
Bone 51:939-43. 2012..We examined CNV within the APC gene region to test for association with bone mineral density...
- Association between yogurt, milk, and cheese consumption and common carotid artery intima-media thickness and cardiovascular disease risk factors in elderly womenKerry L Ivey
Curtin Health Innovation Research Institute, School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 94:234-9. 2011..Despite the contribution of dairy foods to total dietary saturated fat intake, available data indicate that dairy consumption may lower the risk of cardiovascular disease...