Affiliation: University of Queensland
- Getting started in research: systematic reviews and meta-analysesStephen Kisely
Committee for Research, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists RANZCP, Melbourne, VICUniversity of Queensland School of Medicine, Wooloongabba, QLD, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 23:16-21. 2015..Systematic reviews are one of the major building blocks of evidence-based medicine. This overview is an introduction to conducting systematic reviews and meta-analyses...
- Compulsory community and involuntary outpatient treatment for people with severe mental disordersSteve R Kisely
School of Medicine, The University of Queensland, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Ipswich Road Woolloongabba, Queensland, QLD 4102, Australia
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 12:CD004408. 2014..There is controversy as to whether compulsory community treatment (CCT) for people with severe mental illness (SMI) reduces health service use, or improves clinical outcome and social functioning...
- The effect of community treatment orders on outcome as assessed by the Health of the Nation Outcome ScalesSteve Kisely
University of Queensland, School of Medicine, Australia Electronic address
Psychiatry Res 215:574-8. 2014..Although the study was limited by missing data, outpatient commitment in the form of CTOs may not result in better psychiatric outcomes as measured by the HoNOS. ..
- A time series analysis of presentations to Queensland health facilities for alcohol-related conditions, following the increase in 'alcopops' taxSteve Kisely
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, QLD, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 21:383-8. 2013..We measured changes in admissions for alcohol-related harm to health throughout Queensland, before and after the tax increase in April 2008...
- The effect of study design on the reporting of mortality due to colorectal cancer in adults with mental illness in Nova ScotiaStephen Kisely
Queensland Centre for Health Data Services, School of Population Health, The University of Queensland, Herston, Australia
Can J Psychiatry 57:389-94. 2012..We assessed how study design and cancer stage at presentation affected outcomes in psychiatric patients...
- Cancer-related mortality in people with mental illnessStephen Kisely
Griffith Institute for Health and Medical Research, Griffith University, Gold Coast
JAMA Psychiatry 70:209-17. 2013..This may explain their greater case fatality and highlights the need for improved cancer screening and detection...
- An eleven-year evaluation of the effect of community treatment orders on changes in mental health service useSteve Kisely
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, Australia
J Psychiatr Res 47:650-6. 2013..They also increase outpatient contacts. This study illustrates the importance of selecting an outcome that directly addresses the objective of the intervention...
- Reducing all-cause mortality among patients with psychiatric disorders: a population-based studySteve Kisely
Department of Psychiatry, Community Health and Epidemiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Australia
CMAJ 185:E50-6. 2013..We investigated whether compulsory community treatment, such as community treatment orders, could reduce all-cause mortality among patients with psychiatric disorders...
- Applying Motivational Interviewing to the initiation of long-acting injectable atypical antipsychoticsSteve Kisely
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 20:138-42. 2012..This paper describes the application of Motivational Interviewing (MI) to the commencement of LAI AA...
- Critically appraising qualitative research: a guide for clinicians more familiar with quantitative techniquesStephen Kisely
Health LinQ, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 19:364-7. 2011..Papers using qualitative methods are increasingly common in psychiatric journals. This overview is an introduction to critically appraising a qualitative paper for clinicians who are more familiar with quantitative methods...
- Treatment of ischaemic heart disease and stroke in individuals with psychosis under universal healthcareStephen Kisely
Queensland Centre for Health Data Services, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Br J Psychiatry 195:545-50. 2009..Most data on the quality of vascular care for individuals with psychiatric conditions come from countries without universal healthcare...
- An epidemiologic study of psychotropic medication and obesity-related chronic illnesses in older psychiatric patientsStephen Kisely
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Can J Psychiatry 54:269-74. 2009..We determined the relative incidence of 2 obesity-related conditions (diabetes and hypertension) in older psychiatric patients receiving antipsychotics, antidepressants, and mood stabilizers...
- Can administrative data provide insights into the mental health of Indigenous Queenslanders?Steve Kisely
University of Queensland, Saint Lucia, QLD, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 19:S12-6. 2011..Health LinQ is part of the Queensland node involving four Queensland universities, Queensland Health and the Australian e-Health Research Centre...
- Use of administrative data for the surveillance of mental disorders in 5 provincesStephen Kisely
Queensland Centre for Health Data Services, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Can J Psychiatry 54:571-5. 2009..To evaluate the usefulness of administrative data for the surveillance of mental illness in Canada using databases in the following 5 provinces: British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, and Alberta...
- Factors associated with not seeking professional help or disclosing intent prior to suicide: a study of medical examiners' records in Nova ScotiaStephen Kisely
Queensland Centre for Health Data Services, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Can J Psychiatry 56:436-40. 2011..We used records of the Nova Scotia Medical Examiner Service (NSMES) to compare people who had contact with a health professional prior to suicide with those who did not...
- Advanced dental disease in people with severe mental illness: systematic review and meta-analysisSteve Kisely
Health LinQ, Room 518 A, MacGregor Building No 64, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Br J Psychiatry 199:187-93. 2011..Aims To compare the oral health of people with severe mental illness with that of the general population...
- Effect of the increase in "alcopops" tax on alcohol-related harms in young people: a controlled interrupted time seriesSteve R Kisely
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD
Med J Aust 195:690-3. 2011..To measure alcohol-related harms to the health of young people presenting to emergency departments (EDs) of Gold Coast public hospitals before and after the increase in the federal government "alcopops" tax in 2008...
- Use of administrative data for the surveillance of mood and anxiety disordersStephen Kisely
University of Queensland, St Lucia, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 43:1118-25. 2009..The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the usefulness of such data for the surveillance of mood and anxiety disorder using databases from the following Canadian provinces: British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia...
- Inequitable access for mentally ill patients to some medically necessary proceduresStephen Kisely
Department of Psychiatry, Community Health and Epidemiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
CMAJ 176:779-84. 2007....
- Mortality in individuals who have had psychiatric treatment: population-based study in Nova ScotiaStephen Kisely
Dalhousie University, Abbie J Lane Memorial Building, 5909 Veteran s Memorial Lane, Suite 9211, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 2E2, Canada
Br J Psychiatry 187:552-8. 2005..Most studies of mortality in psychiatric patients have investigated in-patients rather than those attending out-patient clinics or primary care, where most receive treatment...
- Can epidemiological studies assist in the evaluation of community treatment orders? - The experience of Western Australia and Nova ScotiaStephen Kisely
Departments of Community Health and Epidemiology and Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Int J Law Psychiatry 29:507-15. 2006..Outpatient contacts were significantly greater for the CTO group. However, we do not know whether the intensity of treatment, or its compulsory nature, effected outcome...
- An international study comparing the effect of medically explained and unexplained somatic symptoms on psychosocial outcomeStephen Kisely
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada B3H 1V7
J Psychosom Res 60:125-30. 2006..In addition, data on outcome in primary care are equivocal. We compare the effect of both constructs (medically explained and unexplained symptoms) on psychiatric morbidity and disability (social and physical) at 1 year follow-up...
- Do the Health of the Nation Outcome Scales measure outcome?Stephen Kisely
Professor and Director, University of Queensland, Queensland Centre for Health Data Services, Australia
Can J Psychiatry 55:431-9. 2010..This instrument is widely used in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, but not in Canada. We tested its sensitivity and predictive validity under conditions that would resemble, as closely as possible, routine use...
- Randomized and non-randomized evidence for the effect of compulsory community and involuntary out-patient treatment on health service use: systematic review and meta-analysisStephen Kisely
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Canada
Psychol Med 37:3-14. 2007..Other study methods may clarify their effectiveness. We reviewed RCT and non-RCT evidence for the effect of compulsory community treatment on hospital admissions, bed-days, compliance and out-patient contacts...
- Excess cancer mortality in psychiatric patientsStephen Kisely
Community Care and Epidemiology, School of Medicine, Griffith University, Meadowbrook, Queensland, Australia
Can J Psychiatry 53:753-61. 2008..We investigated the association between mental illness and cancer incidence, first admission rates, and mortality in Nova Scotia using a standard methodology...
- Taking consultation-liaison psychiatry into primary careStephen Kisely
Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
Int J Psychiatry Med 37:383-91. 2007....
- A comparison of health service use in two jurisdictions with and without compulsory community treatmentStephen Kisely
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University and Health Outcomes Unit, Capital District Health Authority, Halifax, Canada
Psychol Med 35:1357-67. 2005..This study examines whether community treatment orders (CTOs) reduce psychiatric admission rates or bed-days for patients from Western Australia compared to control patients from a jurisdiction without this legislation (Nova Scotia)...
- Shared mental health care for a marginalized community in inner-city CanadaStephen Kisely
School of Medicine, Griffith University, Meadowbrook, QLD, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 17:130-3. 2009..Results were significantly better than those of control practices when such data were available. The median wait time was 6 days in comparison with 39.5 days for the comparison site...
- Are the Health of the Nation Outcome Scales a valid and practical instrument to measure outcomes in North America? A three-site evaluation across Nova ScotiaStephen Kisely
Department of Psychiatry, Community Health and Epidemiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
Community Ment Health J 43:91-107. 2007..Ratings were sensitive to time and setting, with significantly higher scores in inpatients than outpatients. Individual diagnoses had different patterns of scores, further supporting validity...
- Community treatment orders for psychiatric patients: the emperor with no clothesStephen Kisely
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Can J Psychiatry 51:683-5; discussion 691. 2006
- An international study of the effect of physical ill health on psychiatric recovery in primary careStephen Kisely
Department of Psychiatry, Community Health and Epidemiology, Dalhousie University, Centre for Clinical Research, Halifax, Canada
Psychosom Med 67:116-22. 2005..The aim of this study was to determine the association between physical morbidity and recovery from psychiatric illness in primary care...
- Assessing the quality of randomized controlled trials examining psychological interventions for pediatric procedural pain: recommendations for quality improvementLindsay S Uman
Centre for Pediatric Pain Research West, 8th Floor Children s Site K8536, IWK Health Centre, 5850 5980 University Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3K 6R8
J Pediatr Psychol 35:693-703. 2010..However, methodological limitations (e.g., inadequate randomization) have affected the quality of this research, thereby weakening RCT findings...
- Does compulsory or supervised community treatment reduce 'revolving door' care? Legislation is inconsistent with recent evidenceStephen Kisely
Centre for Clinical Research, Dalhousie University, 5790 University Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Br J Psychiatry 191:373-4. 2007..Two recent epidemiological studies in Australia (n>118 000), as well as a systematic review of all previous literature using appropriately matched or randomised controls (n=1108), suggest that it is unlikely to help...
- Duration of untreated symptoms in common mental disorders: association with outcomes: International studyStephen Kisely
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Centre for Clinical Research, 5790 University Avenue, Halifax, NS B3H 1V7, Canada
Br J Psychiatry 189:79-80. 2006..At 1-year follow-up, longer duration was associated with worse psychiatric outcome even after controlling for potential confounders...
- Surveying the portrayal of mental illness across a jurisdiction: is more than one method appropriate?Stephen Kisely
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Centre for Clinical Research, Dalhousie University, 5790 University Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Public Health 122:506-8. 2008
- Use of smoking cessation therapies in individuals with psychiatric illness : an update for prescribersStephen Kisely
Departments of Psychiatry, Community Health and Epidemiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
CNS Drugs 22:263-73. 2008..It is not possible to plan a programme to help individuals stop smoking in mental health settings unless factors such as demographics, diagnosis and concurrent medication are taken into account...
- Collaboration between primary care and psychiatric services: does it help family physicians?Stephen Kisely
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Can Fam Physician 52:876-7. 2006..To compare family physicians' reports of their experiences managing patients with psychiatric disorders in settings with and without access to collaborative mental health services...
- A controlled before-and-after evaluation of a mobile crisis partnership between mental health and police services in Nova ScotiaStephen Kisely
University of Queensland, Health LinQ, Brisbane, Australia
Can J Psychiatry 55:662-8. 2010..The service offered short-term crisis management, with mobile interventions being attended by a plainclothes police officer and a mental health professional...
- Effectiveness of quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine for the prevention of cervical abnormalities: case-control study nested within a population based screening programme in AustraliaElizabeth Crowe
The University of Queensland, School of Population Health, Brisbane, Australia
BMJ 348:g1458. 2014..To measure the effectiveness of the quadrivalent human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine against cervical abnormalities four years after implementation of a nationally funded vaccination programme in Queensland, Australia...
- A systematic review of randomized controlled trials examining psychological interventions for needle-related procedural pain and distress in children and adolescents: an abbreviated cochrane reviewLindsay S Uman
Department of Psychology, Dalhousie University, Life Sciences Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia
J Pediatr Psychol 33:842-54. 2008..To report the results of a systematic review of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of psychological interventions for children and adolescents undergoing needle-related procedures...
- Short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy for somatic disorders. Systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trialsAllan Abbass
Department of Psychiatry, Centre for Emotions and Health, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Psychother Psychosom 78:265-74. 2009..Individually provided short-term psychodynamic psychotherapies (STPP) have shown promising results. However, the effectiveness of STPP for somatic symptom disorders has not been reviewed...
- A survey of the quality of web based information on the treatment of schizophrenia and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity DisorderStephen Kisely
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 37:85-91. 2003..To systematically assess the quality, accountability and readability of Internet information on the treatment of schizophrenia and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), using a standardized pro forma...