Peter R C Howe
Affiliation: University of Adelaide
- Tuna fishmeal as a source of DHA for n-3 PUFA enrichment of pork, chicken, and eggsPeter R C Howe
Smart Foods Centre, University of Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Lipids 37:1067-76. 2002..The fishmeal feeding strategy used in this study offers a viable means of producing a range of alternative dietary sources of LC n-3 PUFA...
- Improvement of major depression is associated with increased erythrocyte DHABarbara J Meyer
Metabolic Research Centre, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW, 2522, Australia
Lipids 48:863-8. 2013..51) between the change in erythrocyte DHA and the change in scores of depression (p < 0.05). Further study of the relationship between DHA and depression is warranted. ..
- Food groups and fatty acids associated with self-reported depression: an analysis from the Australian National Nutrition and Health SurveysBarbara J Meyer
School of Health Sciences, Metabolic Research Centre, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Nutrition 29:1042-7. 2013..The aim of this study was to explore the associations between incidence of depression and dietary intakes of foods and fatty acids in adult Australians...
- Dose-dependent effects of docosahexaenoic acid supplementation on blood lipids in statin-treated hyperlipidaemic subjectsBarbara J Meyer
School of Health Sciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Lipids 42:109-15. 2007..Fish oil in addition to statin therapy may be preferable to drug combinations for the treatment of combined hyperlipidaemia...
- Fish oil reduces heart rate and oxygen consumption during exerciseGregory E Peoples
Smart Foods Centre, School of Health Sciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW, Australia
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 52:540-7. 2008..This study indicates that FOs may act within the healthy heart and skeletal muscle to reduce both whole-body and myocardial O2 demand during exercise, without a decrement in performance...
- The use of novel foods enriched with long-chain n-3 fatty acids to increase dietary intake: a comparison of methodologies assessing nutrient intakeCraig S Patch
National Centre of Excellence in Functional Foods, University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
J Am Diet Assoc 105:1918-26. 2005..To evaluate the effect of consuming a variety of foods enriched in long-chain n-3 fatty acids in low fish eaters...
- Estimating abdominal adipose tissue with DXA and anthropometryAlison M Hill
ATN Centre for Metabolic Fitness, Nutritional Physiology Research Centre, University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia 5005, Australia
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:504-10. 2007....
- Limited lipid-lowering effects of regular consumption of whole soybean foodsBarbara J Meyer
Department of Biomedical Science and Smart Foods Centre, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Ann Nutr Metab 48:67-78. 2004..To examine cardiovascular health benefits of foods containing a whole soybean extract...
- Dietary intakes and food sources of omega-6 and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acidsBarbara J Meyer
Department of Biomedical Science and Smart Foods Centre, University of Wollongong, Wollongong NSW 2522, Australia
Lipids 38:391-8. 2003..2 g per day) and emphasize the need for strategies to increase the availability and consumption of n-3-containing foods...
- n-3 Fatty acid supplementation and regular moderate exercise: differential effects of a combined intervention on neutrophil functionAlison M Hill
Nutritional Physiology Research Center, University of South Australia, Australia
Br J Nutr 98:300-9. 2007..Thus the combination of moderate exercise and fish-oil supplementation, which reduces cardiovascular risk, may also help to counteract inflammation...
- Impact of foods enriched with n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids on erythrocyte n-3 levels and cardiovascular risk factorsKaren J Murphy
Nutritional Physiology Research Centre, Division of Health Sciences, University of South Australia and School of Molecular and Biomedical Science, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA
Br J Nutr 97:749-57. 2007..Sustainable increases in dietary intakes and erythrocyte levels of n-3 long-chain PUFA can be achieved through regular consumption of suitably enriched processed foods. Such increases may be associated with reduced CV risk...
- Can EGCG reduce abdominal fat in obese subjects?Alison M Hill
ATN Centre for Metabolic Fitness, School of Health Sciences University of South Australia, GPO Box 2471, Adelaide, SA 5001, Australia
J Am Coll Nutr 26:396S-402S. 2007..To evaluate metabolic effects of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) supplementation when combined with a program of regular aerobic exercise in overweight/obese post-menopausal women...
- Combining fish-oil supplements with regular aerobic exercise improves body composition and cardiovascular disease risk factorsAlison M Hill
Nutritional Physiology Research Centre and the Australian Technology Network Centre for Metabolic Fitness, University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 85:1267-74. 2007....
- Cognitive behavioral therapy improves diet and body composition in overweight and obese adolescentsMargarita D Tsiros
Australian Technology Network Centre for Metabolic Fitness, School of Health Sciences, University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1134-40. 2008..Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) teaches behavioral and cognitive strategies that focus on achieving and maintaining lifestyle changes...