Affiliation: University of Melbourne
- Reflections on psychiatry and international mental healthHelen Herrman
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Centre for Youth Mental Health, The University of Melbourne Director, World Health Organization Collaborating Centre in Mental Health, Melbourne, Australia
Mens Sana Monogr 11:59-67. 2013....
- Partnerships for promoting dissemination of mental health research globallyHelen Herrman
Secretary for Publications, World Psychiatric Association and Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, The University of Melbourne, Australia
Indian J Psychiatry 52:S43-6. 2010..Among the first journals participating in the project was the IJP, which is now an inspiration and source of support for other journals...
- Priorities for research in child maltreatment, intimate partner violence and resilience to violence exposures: results of an international Delphi consensus development processC Nadine Wathen
Faculty of Information and Media Studies, Western University, London, ON, Canada
BMC Public Health 12:684. 2012....
- Improving mental health in young peopleHelen Herrman
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Centre for Youth Mental Health, The University of Melbourne, Locked Bag 10 35 Poplar Road, Parkville, VIC 3052, Australia
Psychiatr Danub 24:S285-90. 2012..New directions and models of care to respond to better awareness and help-seeking and new approaches to health promotion are being developed in several countries, and psychiatrists have a central role in supporting these developments...
- Embedding effective depression care: using theory for primary care organisational and systems changeJane M Gunn
Primary Care Research Unit, The Department of General Practice, School of Medicine, The University of Melbourne, Australia
Implement Sci 5:62. 2010..We set out to develop a conceptual framework to guide change and the implementation of best practice depression care in the primary care setting...
- The association between intimate partner violence, alcohol and depression in family practiceGail Gilchrist
Substance Use Disorders Research Group, Neuropsychopharmacology Programme, Institut Municipal d Investigació Mèdica Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain
BMC Fam Pract 11:72. 2010..Depressive symptoms, intimate partner violence and hazardous drinking are common among patients attending general practice. Despite the high prevalence of these three problems; the relationship between them remains relatively unexplored...
- Promotion of mental health in poorly resourced countriesHelen Herrman
Department of Psychiatry and School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Carlton, Victoria 3101, Australia
Lancet 370:1195-7. 2007
- Mental health promotion in public healthHelen Herrman
St Vincent s Mental Health Service, The University of Melbourne, Department of Psychiatry, Fitzroy, Vic, Australia
Promot Educ . 2005
- Quality of life and neurotic disorders in general healthcareHelen Herrman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Curr Opin Psychiatry 22:61-8. 2009....
- What psychiatry means to meHelen Herrman
Director, World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Research and Training in Mental Health, University of Melbourne, Australia Secretary for Publications, World Psychiatric Association, E mail
Mens Sana Monogr 5:179-87. 2007..Psychiatrists supported by WPA can help ensure that vulnerable people and communities and people living with mental disorders are well served in this new environment and no longer left out and left behind...
- Outcome in early-onset schizophrenia revisited: findings from the Early Psychosis Prevention and Intervention Centre long-term follow-up studyG Paul Amminger
Orygen Youth Health Centre for Youth Mental Health, 35 Poplar Road, Parkville, VIC 3052, Australia
Schizophr Res 131:112-9. 2011..To compare the long-term outcome in individuals with early-onset (before age 18) and adult-onset schizophrenia spectrum disorder who were initially diagnosed and treated in the same clinical center...
- A trajectory-based approach to understand the factors associated with persistent depressive symptoms in primary careJane Gunn
General Practice and Primary Health Care Academic Centre, The University of Melbourne, 200 Berkeley Street, Carlton, VIC 3053, Australia
J Affect Disord 148:338-46. 2013..This study is aimed to identify depressive symptom trajectories and associated socio-demographic, co-morbidity, health service use and treatment factors to inform clinical care...
- A place to live: housing needs for people with psychotic disorders identified in the second Australian National Survey of PsychosisCarol Harvey
Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 46:840-50. 2012....
- The politics of conducting research on depression in a cross-cultural contextRenata Kokanovic
University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Qual Health Res 19:708-17. 2009....
- Early Psychosis Prevention and Intervention Centre long-term follow-up study of first-episode psychosis: methodology and baseline characteristicsLisa P Henry
ORYGEN Research Centre, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Early Interv Psychiatry 1:49-60. 2007..This paper reports the rationale, methodology and baseline characteristics of a large long-term follow-up study of first-episode psychosis from a geographically defined catchment area...
- Long-term follow-up of all-cause and unnatural death in young people with first-episode psychosisKally Yuen
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Centre for Youth Mental Health, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia Electronic address
Schizophr Res 159:70-5. 2014..To determine mortality-related estimates and causes of death in young people with first-episode psychosis (FEP), and to identify baseline predictors of mortality...
- Some peace of mind: assessing a pilot intervention to promote mental health among widows of injecting drug users in north-east IndiaMichelle Kermode
Nossal Institute for Global Health, University of Melbourne, Australia
BMC Public Health 8:294. 2008..There is increasing recognition of the links between HIV and mental health...
- Hepatitis C in people with mental illness: how big is the problem and how do we respond?Alison Seccull
Victorian Public Health Training Scheme, Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 14:374-8. 2006..To review the evidence available on best practice care of people with both hepatitis C and mental illness and its application in a mental health service...
- Comparison of disability and quality of life measures in patients with long-term psychotic disorders and patients with multiple sclerosis: an application of the WHO Disability Assessment Schedule II and WHO Quality of Life-BREFPrem Chopra
University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Int J Rehabil Res 31:141-9. 2008..Both groups of patients reported similar levels of social disability, confirming that barriers to participation in society affect all patients with disabling conditions...
- The roles and relationships of psychiatrists and other service providers in mental health servicesHelen Herrman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, St Vincent s Mental Health Service, 41 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 36:75-80. 2002..A number of the problems facing psychiatry are identified as having common origins in unresolved issues about teamwork. The aim is to identify the issues and to formulate recommendations for dealing with these obstacles...
- "A conscious control over life and my emotions:" mindfulness practice and healthy young people. A qualitative studyKaveh Monshat
ORYGEN Youth Health, Centre for Youth Mental Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
J Adolesc Health 52:572-7. 2013..The aim of this study was to gain a detailed understanding of how young people engage with the ideas and practices known as mindfulness using qualitative enquiry...
- Diverse voices, simple desires: a conceptual design for primary care to respond to depression and related disordersVictoria Palmer
Department of General Practice, The University of Melbourne, 200 Berkeley Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
Fam Pract 27:447-58. 2010..Little information is provided about tasks GPs can undertake outside of guidelines that suggest to prescribe medication and refer to specialists...
- The EPPIC follow-up study of first-episode psychosis: longer-term clinical and functional outcome 7 years after index admissionLisa P Henry
ORYGEN Research Centre, Locked Bag 10, Parkville, Melbourne, Victoria, 3052, Australia
J Clin Psychiatry 71:716-28. 2010..To describe the longer-term clinical and functional outcome of a large, epidemiologic representative cohort of individuals experiencing a first episode of psychosis...
- Empowerment of women and mental health promotion: a qualitative study in rural Maharashtra, IndiaMichelle Kermode
Australian International Health Institute, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
BMC Public Health 7:225. 2007..Investigate the impact of the PHC program on individual and community factors associated with mental health..
- Improving collaboration between private psychiatrists, the public mental health sector and general practitioners: evaluation of the Partnership ProjectJane Pirkis
Program Evaluation Unit, School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 38:125-34. 2004..The evaluation aimed to describe the impacts and outcomes of these elements...
- The assessment of disability in patients with psychotic disorders: an application of the ICIDH-2Prem Chopra
St Vincent s Mental Health Service, 46 Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 36:127-32. 2002..To describe the application of the International Classification of Functioning and Disability (ICIDH-2) in the assessment of disability in patients with psychotic disorders...
- Promoting resilience in adults with experience of intimate partner violence or child maltreatment: a narrative synthesis of evidence across settingsKristen Moeller-Saxone
Jack Brockhoff Child Health and Wellbeing Program, McCaughey Centre, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Vic, Australia Centre for Youth Mental Health, The University of Melbourne and Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Melbourne, Australia
J Public Health (Oxf) 37:125-37. 2015....
- Factors influencing triage decisions in mental health servicesMargaret Grigg
Department of Human Services, 50 Lonsdale St, Melbourne, VIC 3000, Australia
Aust Health Rev 31:239-45. 2007..While demand factors such as patient characteristics influenced the triage decision, supply factors also played an important role...
- Self-rated health and long-term prognosis of depressionGilles Ambresin
General Practice and Primary Health Care Academic Centre, The University of Melbourne, Carlton, Australia
Ann Fam Med 12:57-65. 2014..Indicators of prognosis should be considered to fully inform clinical decision making in the treatment of depression. This study examines whether self-rated health predicts long-term depression outcomes in primary care...
- Community care for people with psychosis: outcomes and needs for careHelen Herrman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Australia
Int Rev Psychiatry 17:89-95. 2005..Follow-up studies of programs and interventions assessing a range of outcomes in local settings are now required to encourage professionals and the community to address these needs...
- Lay accounts of depression amongst Anglo-Australian residents and East African refugeesRenata Kokanovic
Primary Care Research Unit, Department of General Practice, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia
Soc Sci Med 66:454-66. 2008....
- Mental health promotion in the Internet age: a consultation with Australian young people to inform the design of an online mindfulness training programmeKaveh Monshat
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, University of Melbourne, Locked Bag 10, Victoria 3052, Australia
Health Promot Int 27:177-86. 2012..The result of this consultation process was the Mindful Awareness Training and Education (MATE) programme, which has been detailed...
- What is resilience?Helen Herrman
Professor of Psychiatry, Centre for Youth Mental Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia Director, World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Mental Health, Melbourne, Australia
Can J Psychiatry 56:258-65. 2011..Our paper reviews the definitions of resilience and the range of factors understood as contributing to it, and considers some of the implications for clinical care and public health...
- Quality of life assessment in people living with psychosisHelen Herrman
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Melbourne, and St Vincent s Mental Health Service Melbourne, Australia
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 37:510-8. 2002..Our aim was to investigate the validity of psychotic patients' self-report regarding their HRQoL, using the WHOQOL-Brèf, a generic measure, and the Assessment of Quality of Life (AQoL), a utility instrument...
- The CORE study protocol: a stepped wedge cluster randomised controlled trial to test a co-design technique to optimise psychosocial recovery outcomes for people affected by mental illness in the community mental health settingVictoria J Palmer
The Department of General Practice, Melbourne Medical School, The University of Melbourne, Carlton, Victoria, Australia
BMJ Open 5:e006688. 2015....
- Public and private psychiatry: can they work together and is it worth the effort?Alison Yung
Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Parkville Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 39:67-73. 2005..It also examined possible barriers to collaboration and some possible solutions to the identified problems...
- Disability and service use among homeless people living with psychotic disordersHelen Herrman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 38:965-74. 2004..The prevalence of psychosis and needs for care among homeless people were studied in inner Melbourne...
- Building the capacity of family day care educators to promote children's social and emotional wellbeing: an exploratory cluster randomised controlled trialElise Davis
Jack Brockhoff Child Health and Wellbeing Program, McCaughey Centre, University of Melbourne, Carlton, Victoria, Australia
BMC Public Health 11:842. 2011..Thrive aims to increase educators' knowledge, confidence and skills in promoting children's social and emotional wellbeing...
- Developing a national strategy for mental healthHelen Herrman
University of Melbourne, St Vincent s Mental Health Service
Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi 105:899-908. 2003
- What is duty/triage? Understanding the role of duty/triage in an area mental health serviceMargaret Grigg
LaTrobe University, Bendigo, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 36:787-91. 2002..To describe the duty/triage system within one urban area mental health service in Australia and to investigate the factors that affect the decision to organize a comprehensive assessment...
- The Lancet's series on global mental health: 1 year onVikram Patel
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK Sangath Centre, Porvorim, Goa, India
Lancet 372:1354-7. 2008
- Major depression and its correlates in primary care settings in six countries. 9-month follow-up studyMarcelo Pio De Almeida Fleck
Departamento de Psiquiatria e Medicina Legal, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, 90035 003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Br J Psychiatry 186:41-7. 2005..Few published studies address depression outcomes in primary care from a cross-cultural perspective...
- An ethnographic study of three mental health triage programsMargaret Grigg
Centre for Rural Mental Health, Bendigo Health Care Group, Bendigo, Victoria 3550, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 13:145-51. 2004..Insider participant observation brings many challenges but also, in this study, enabled the researcher to uncover some roles and processes underpinning triage decisions in mental health services...
- Self-esteem in patients who have recovered from psychosis: profile and relationship to quality of lifeOye Gureje
Department of Psychiatry, University College Hospital, Ibandan, Nigeria
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 38:334-8. 2004..Aims: To investigate the profile and correlates of self-esteem in individuals who have achieved symptomatic recovery from psychosis and determine its relationship with quality of life...
- Mental health research in low and middle-income countries: role of research institutionsJoshua White
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 39:202. 2005