Michelle J Hansen
Affiliation: University of Melbourne
- The lung inflammation and skeletal muscle wasting induced by subchronic cigarette smoke exposure are not altered by a high-fat diet in miceMichelle J Hansen
Lung Health Research Centre, Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 8:e80471. 2013..05). In conclusion, these findings suggest that a down-regulation in local IGF-1 may be responsible for the loss of skeletal muscle mass following cigarette smoke exposure in mice. ..
- Therapeutic prospects to treat skeletal muscle wasting in COPD (chronic obstructive lung disease)Michelle J Hansen
Lung Disease Research Laboratory, Department of Pharmacology, Cooperative Research Centre for Chronic Inflammatory Diseases, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Pharmacol Ther 109:162-72. 2006....
- Long-term cigarette smoke exposure increases uncoupling protein expression but reduces energy intakeHui Chen
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, NSW 2052, Australia
Brain Res 1228:81-8. 2008..These findings contribute to our understanding of weight loss in smoking-related lung disease, suggesting a greater impact than that due to anorexia alone...
- Regulation of hypothalamic NPY by diet and smokingHui Chen
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Peptides 28:384-9. 2007..Thus, consumption of a high fat diet and smoke exposure reprogram hypothalamic NPY. Reduced NPY may contribute to the anorexic effect of smoke exposure...
- Cigarette smoke worsens lung inflammation and impairs resolution of influenza infection in miceRosa C Gualano
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Melbourne, Parkville 3010, Victoria, Australia
Respir Res 9:53. 2008..We hypothesized, based on prior gene expression profiling studies, that upregulation of pro-inflammatory mediators by short term smoke exposure would be protective against a subsequent influenza infection...
- Cigarette smoke exposure reprograms the hypothalamic neuropeptide Y axis to promote weight lossHui Chen
Department of Physiology, CRC for Chronic Inflammatory Diseases, The University of Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:1248-54. 2006..Neuropeptide Y (NPY) is an orexigenic neuropeptide, whose activity in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus governs appetite...
- Feeding responses to a melanocortin agonist and antagonist in obesity induced by a palatable high-fat dietMichelle J Hansen
Neuroendocrine Laboratory, Department of Pharmacology, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Brain Res 1039:137-45. 2005..The observation of increased responsiveness to the melanocortin agonist, in the face of a high-fat diet, suggests melanocortin analogues may have potential for the pharmacological treatment of obesity...
- Detrimental metabolic effects of combining long-term cigarette smoke exposure and high-fat diet in miceHui Chen
Dept of Pharmacology, Univ of New South Wales, NSW 2052, Australia
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293:E1564-71. 2007..Our data support a powerful health message that smoking in the presence of an unhealthy Western diet increases metabolic disorders and fat accumulation...