Russell L Gruen
Affiliation: University of Melbourne
- Prevalence of basic information technology use by U.S. physiciansRichard W Grant
General Medicine Division, The Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:1150-5. 2006..Information technology (IT) has been advocated as an important means to improve the practice of clinical medicine...
- Public roles of US physicians: community participation, political involvement, and collective advocacyRussell L Gruen
Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
JAMA 296:2467-75. 2006..Yet little is known about practicing physicians' attitudes about or the extent to which they participate in public roles, which we defined as community participation, political involvement, and collective advocacy...
- Screening for presence or absence of diabetic retinopathy: a meta-analysisPeter Bragge
Melbourne School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, 207 Bouverie St, Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia
Arch Ophthalmol 129:435-44. 2011..To examine how mydriasis and the medical qualifications of photographers who take retinal photographs influence the accuracy of screening for diabetic retinopathy (DR)...
- Traumatic brain injury and long-term quality of life: findings from an Australian studyGraeme Hawthorne
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
J Neurotrauma 26:1623-33. 2009..The challenge is to provide and evaluate long-term services targeted at the life areas that those with TBI find particularly difficult...
- Predictors of surgical margin status in breast-conserving surgery within a breast screening programEmil D Kurniawan
Department of Surgery, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, 3050, Australia
Ann Surg Oncol 15:2542-9. 2008..We sought to identify groups of patients at higher risk of involved margins who might benefit from preoperative counselling and/or more generous excision at the first operation...
- Injury in indigenous communities: a call for enlightened actionRussell L Gruen
Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
ANZ J Surg 77:930-1. 2007
- The surgical care of indigenous Australians: a structured orientation programmeRussell L Gruen
Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne, and Department of ENT Survey, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
ANZ J Surg 77:925-9. 2007
- Sustainability science: an integrated approach for health-programme planningRussell L Gruen
Department of Surgery, The Royal Melbourne Hospital and University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Lancet 372:1579-89. 2008..We show the usefulness of this approach with case studies drawn from the authors' experience...
- Management of spleen injuries: the current profileAntonina Mikocka-Walus
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
ANZ J Surg 80:157-61. 2010..This study aims to determine the profile of splenic injury in major trauma victims and the approach to treatment in Victoria for the last 2 years...
- Academic surgery under threatRussell L Gruen
Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
ANZ J Surg 78:360. 2008
- Evidence-based advocacy: the public roles of health care professionalsRussell L Gruen
Med J Aust 188:684-5. 2008
- Professionalism in medicine: results of a national survey of physiciansEric G Campbell
Massachusetts General Hospital, Institute for Health Policy, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Ann Intern Med 147:795-802. 2007..Although there have been efforts to define and promote professionalism, few data are available on physician attitudes toward and conformance with professional norms...
- A national survey of physician-industry relationshipsEric G Campbell
Institute for Health Policy, Massachusetts General Hospital Partners Health Care System and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
N Engl J Med 356:1742-50. 2007..We surveyed physicians to collect information about their financial associations with industry and the factors that predict those associations...
- Specialist outreach to isolated and disadvantaged communities: a population-based studyRussell L Gruen
Menzies School of Health Research, Institute of Advanced Studies, Charles Darwin University, Casuarina, NT, Australia
Lancet 368:130-8. 2006..We aimed to assess the effects of outreach clinics on access, referral patterns, and care outcomes in remote communities in Australia...
- Physician-citizens--public roles and professional obligationsRussell L Gruen
Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
JAMA 291:94-8. 2004..By doing so, we aim to stimulate dialogue about the appropriateness of such roles and promote physician engagement with pressing health issues in the public arena...
- Where there is no surgeon: the effect of specialist proximity on general practitioners' referral ratesRussell L Gruen
Menzies School of Health Research, PO Box 41096, Casuarina NT, 0811, Australia
Med J Aust 177:111-5. 2002....