Leonard C Gray
Affiliation: University of Queensland
- 'Online' geriatric assessment procedure for older adults referred for geriatric assessment during an acute care episode for consideration of reliability of triage decisionsLen Gray
Centre for Research in Geriatric Medicine, University of Queensland, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba, QLD 4102, Australia
BMC Geriatr 12:10. 2012..It will also explore the accuracy of the procedure in identifying common geriatric syndromes, and its cost relative to conventional "live" consultations...
- Development of quality indicators for monitoring outcomes of frail elderly hospitalised in acute care health settings: study protocolCaroline A Brand
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Health Services Research, Melbourne Health, The University of Melbourne and The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 11:281. 2011..This paper reports the study protocol for the development of aged care quality indicators for acute care hospitals...
- Documentation of in-hospital falls on incident reports: qualitative investigation of an imperfect processTerry P Haines
Department of Physiotherapy, School of Primary Health Care, Monash University, Frankston, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 8:254. 2008....
- Reliability of the interRAI suite of assessment instruments: a 12-country study of an integrated health information systemJohn P Hirdes
University of Waterloo, 200 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 8:277. 2008..This study examined the reliability of the items from five instruments supporting home care, long term care, mental health, palliative care and post-acute care...
- Relationship between interRAI HC and the ICF: opportunity for operationalizing the ICFKatherine Berg
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 9:47. 2009....
- Sharing clinical information across care settings: the birth of an integrated assessment systemLeonard C Gray
The University of Queensland, c Academic Unit in Geriatric Medicine, University Department of Medicine, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 9:71. 2009..Population ageing, the emergence of chronic illness, and the shift away from institutional care challenge conventional approaches to assessment systems which traditionally are problem and setting specific...
- Geriatric ward rounds by video conference: a solution for rural hospitalsLeonard C Gray
University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Med J Aust 191:605-8. 2009..To evaluate the acceptance and cost of a ward-based geriatric consultation service delivered via a mobile videoconferencing system...
- Standardizing assessment of elderly people in acute care: the interRAI Acute Care instrumentLen C Gray
Academic Unit in Geriatric Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:536-41. 2008..To examine the frequency distributions and interrater reliability of individual items of the interRAI Acute Care instrument...
- The diagnostic accuracy of telegeriatrics for the diagnosis of dementia via video conferencingMelinda Martin-Khan
Centre for Research in Geriatric Medicine, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
J Am Med Dir Assoc 13:487.e19-24. 2012..The suitability of video conferencing (VC) technology for clinical purposes relevant to geriatric medicine is still being established. This project aimed to determine the validity of the diagnosis of dementia via VC...
- Telehealth for nursing homes: the utilization of specialist services for residential careLeonard C Gray
Centre for Research in Geriatric Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
J Telemed Telecare 18:142-6. 2012..Many services which are currently being provided on site to metropolitan long-term care facilities could be provided by telehealth in both urban and rural facilities...
- Quality of life of older frail persons receiving a post-discharge programTracy A Comans
School of Medicine, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia
Health Qual Life Outcomes 11:58. 2013..e. satisfaction with own quality of life) for participants of a discharge program for older people following an extended hospital episode of care and 2) examine the impact of the intensity of this program on utility gains over time...
- Effects of a drug minimization guide on prescribing intentions in elderly persons with polypharmacyIan A Scott
Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Drugs Aging 29:659-67. 2012..While frameworks exist to assist clinicians in prescribing appropriately in older patients at risk of adverse drug reactions, their impact on prescribing is uncertain...
- A prospective cohort study of geriatric syndromes among older medical patients admitted to acute care hospitalsPrabha Lakhan
The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
J Am Geriatr Soc 59:2001-8. 2011....
- A systematic review of studies concerning observer agreement during medical specialist diagnosis using videoconferencingMelinda Martin-Khan
Centre for Research in Geriatric Medicine, University of Queensland, Level 2, Building 33, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba, Queensland 4102, Australia
J Telemed Telecare 17:350-7. 2011..The variation in research methodology and statistical analysis suggests a lack of clarity about which research design is appropriate for measuring observer agreement in relation to diagnostic reliability...
- Feasibility of using an in-home video conferencing system in geriatric rehabilitationNancye M Peel
Centre for Research in Geriatric Medicine, School of Medicine, The University of Queensland, Level 2 Building 33, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba QLD 4102 Australia
J Rehabil Med 43:364-6. 2011..This pilot study trialled an in-home videoconferencing system to determine the feasibility of delivering rehabilitation services remotely to aged clients...
- The acute-aged care interface: exploring the dynamics of 'bed blocking'Catherine M Travers
Academic Unit in Geriatric Medicine, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Wooloongabba, Queensland, Australia
Australas J Ageing 27:116-20. 2008..To understand the dynamics underlying 'bed-blocking' in Australian public hospitals that is frequently blamed on older patients...
- Trends in the use of hospital beds by older people in Australia: 1993-2002Len C Gray
Department of Medicine, University of Queensland, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Ipswich Rd, Woolloongabba, QLD 4102, Australia
Med J Aust 181:478-81. 2004..To determine trends in use of Australian acute hospital inpatient services by older patients...
- Health assessment of elderly patientsLen C Gray
University of Queensland
Aust Fam Physician 33:795-7. 2004..Comprehensive health assessment of the elderly in primary care will become a more important element of general practice as population aging proceeds and evidence of efficacy emerges...
- Deciding when to stop: towards evidence-based deprescribing of drugs in older populationsIan A Scott
Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, University of Queensland, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Evid Based Med 18:121-4. 2013..Evidence supporting a structured approach to drug discontinuation (or deprescribing) is emerging, and while many barriers to deprescribing exist in routine practice, various enabling strategies can help overcome them. ..
- Appraisal of the quality of care of older adults with cognitive impairment in the emergency departmentLinda M Schnitker
University of Queenland, The Centre for Research in Geriatric Medicine, Brisbane, Australia
J Gerontol Nurs 39:34-40. 2013..Recommendations for improvement are discussed...
- The Higher Care At Discharge Index (HCDI): identifying older patients at risk of requiring a higher level of care at dischargePrabha Lakhan
Centre for Research in Geriatric Medicine, The University of Queensland, Level 2, Building 33, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Ipswich Rd, Woolloongabba, Brisbane 4102, Australia
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 57:184-91. 2013..8%; specificity 68.7%; PPV 18.0%; NPV 97.8%, correctly classified 69.7%. Requirement for a higher level care at discharge has important consequences for health service delivery. The HCDI can be used to identify patients at higher risk...
- The Rowland Universal Dementia Assessment Scale (RUDAS) as a reliable screening tool for dementia when administered via videoconferencing in elderly post-acute hospital patientsLillian Wong
Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Telemed Telecare 18:176-9. 2012..9 (difference between the means 0.04), i.e. there was no significant difference. The results suggest that the RUDAS can be reliably administered via VC in post acute patients as an alternative to FTF administration...
- How effective are programs at managing transition from hospital to home? A case study of the Australian Transition Care ProgramLeonard C Gray
Centre for Research in Geriatric Medicine, The University of Queensland, Level 2, Building 33, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba, Queensland 4102, Australia
BMC Geriatr 12:6. 2012..In this paper, we review the current evidence on the efficacy of such programs, using the Australian Transition Care Program as a case study...
- Telehealth opportunities in regional Queensland: a scoping studyJasmine Croll
Centre for Online Health, Royal Children s Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
J Telemed Telecare 18:451-4. 2012..The study reinforced the potential for telehealth services in three key domains: regional hospitals, residential aged-care facilities and general practice...
- Minimizing inappropriate medications in older populations: a 10-step conceptual frameworkIan A Scott
Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Am J Med 125:529-37.e4. 2012..Further studies are warranted in validating this framework as a means for assisting clinicians to make more appropriate prescribing decisions in at-risk older patients...
- Telemedicine across the agesAnthony C Smith
Centre for Online Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Med J Aust 190:15-9. 2009..For telemedicine to become a mainstream service, its focus must move beyond simply the provision of equipment and network connectivity. Telemedicine must be funded adequately if it is to be successful...
- Chronic illness in older peopleLeonard C Gray
Academic Unit in Geriatric Medicine, University of Queensland, Brisbane
Med J Aust 179:241. 2003
- Developing a policy simulator at the acute-aged care interfaceLeonard C Gray
Department of Medicine, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, QLD 4102, Australia
Aust Health Rev 30:450-7. 2006..The paper includes a description of the relevant policy environment and some of the associated key policy issues...
- Transition care: will it deliver?Len C Gray
Academic Unit in Geriatric Medicine, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Med J Aust 188:251-3. 2008..Transition care services should be established within the context of overall regional plans for aged care, incorporating hospital acute and subacute inpatient services, and long-term community and residential care programs...
- Quality of life assessment in the community-dwelling elderly: validation of the Assessment of Quality of Life (AQoL) Instrument and comparison with the SF-36Richard H Osborne
Centre for Rheumatic Diseases, Department of Medicine, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, The University of Melbourne, Charles Connibere Building, Ground Floor, West Wing, Parkville 3040, Australia
J Clin Epidemiol 56:138-47. 2003..Given these robust psychometric properties and the brevity of the scale, AQoL appears to be a suitable instrument for epidemiologic studies where HRQoL and utility data are required from elderly populations...
- Effectiveness of case management and post-acute services in older people after hospital dischargeWen K Lim
Centre for Applied Gerontology, Bundoora Extended Care, 1231 Plenty Road, Bundoora, VIC 3083, Australia
Med J Aust 178:262-6. 2003..To evaluate the benefits of coordinating community services through the Post-Acute Care (PAC) program in older patients after discharge from hospital...