Genomes and Genes
Robin B Gasser
Affiliation: University of Melbourne
- Zhang Y, Koehler A, Wang T, Robertson G, Bradbury R, Gasser R. Enterocytozoon bieneusi genotypes in people with gastrointestinal disorders in Queensland and Western Australia. Infect Genet Evol. 2018;65:293-299 pubmed publisher..bieneusi in Australia, to identify possible reservoirs of human infection, and to assist in the prevention and control of human microsporidiosis. ..
- Wang T, Nie S, Ma G, Korhonen P, Koehler A, Ang C, et al. The developmental lipidome of Haemonchus contortus. Int J Parasitol. 2018;48:887-895 pubmed publisher..This lipidomic data set serves as a stimulus for studies to understand lipid biology in parasitic worms, and their roles in parasite-host interactions and disease processes. ..
- Li F, Gasser R, Lok J, Korhonen P, Wang Y, Yin F, et al. Exploring the role of two interacting phosphoinositide 3-kinases of Haemonchus contortus. Parasit Vectors. 2014;7:498 pubmed publisher..The findings provide insights into the role of the PI3K heterodimer represented by Hc-age-1 and Hc-aap-1 in the developmental biology of H. contortus. ..
- Dilrukshi Herath H, Song H, Preston S, Jabbar A, Wang T, McGee S, et al. Arylpyrrole and fipronil analogues that inhibit the motility and/or development of Haemonchus contortus in vitro. Int J Parasitol Drugs Drug Resist. 2018;8:379-385 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results of the present study have identified natural product-derived molecules that are worth considering for chemical optimisation as anthelmintic drug leads. ..
- Wang D, Young N, Korhonen P, Gasser R. Clonorchis sinensis and Clonorchiasis: The Relevance of Exploring Genetic Variation. Adv Parasitol. 2018;100:155-208 pubmed publisher..The chapter concludes by considering how advances in genomic and informatics will enable research on the genetics of C. sinensis and related parasites, as well as the discovery of new fluke-specific intervention targets. ..
- Koehler A, Whipp M, Haydon S, Gasser R. Cryptosporidium cuniculus--new records in human and kangaroo in Australia. Parasit Vectors. 2014;7:492 pubmed publisher..The characterisation of these genotypes raises questions as to their potential to infect humans and/or other animals in Australia, given that C. cuniculus has been reported to cause cryptosporidiosis outbreaks in Europe. ..
- Ma G, Wang T, Korhonen P, Ang C, Williamson N, Young N, et al. Molecular alterations during larval development of Haemonchus contortus in vitro are under tight post-transcriptional control. Int J Parasitol. 2018;48:763-772 pubmed publisher..The approach applied here to H. contortus can be readily applied to other parasitic nematodes. ..
- Zhang Y, Koehler A, Wang T, Haydon S, Gasser R. New operational taxonomic units of Enterocytozoon in three marsupial species. Parasit Vectors. 2018;11:371 pubmed publisher..from macropods and other animals will assist in clarifying the taxonomy and epidemiology of these species in Australia and elsewhere, and in assessing the public health risk of enterocytozoonosis. ..
- Stroehlein A, Young N, Gasser R. Improved strategy for the curation and classification of kinases, with broad applicability to other eukaryotic protein groups. Sci Rep. 2018;8:6808 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss salient technical aspects of this strategy and its implications for the curation of protein families more generally. ..
- Ebner J, Koehler A, Robertson G, Bradbury R, Jex A, Haydon S, et al. Genetic analysis of Giardia and Cryptosporidium from people in Northern Australia using PCR-based tools. Infect Genet Evol. 2015;36:389-395 pubmed publisher..felis were also identified in single patients of 11-21 years of age. Future studies might focus on a comparative study of these and other protists in rural communities in Northern Australia. ..
- Marangi M, Giangaspero A, Lacasella V, Lonigro A, Gasser R. Multiplex PCR for the detection and quantification of zoonotic taxa of Giardia, Cryptosporidium and Toxoplasma in wastewater and mussels. Mol Cell Probes. 2015;29:122-5 pubmed publisher..The present multiplex assay achieved an efficiency of 100% and a R(2) value of >0.99. Current evidence indicates that this assay provides a promising tool for the simultaneous detection and quantitation of three key protist taxa. ..
- Preston S, Jabbar A, Nowell C, Joachim A, Ruttkowski B, Baell J, et al. Low cost whole-organism screening of compounds for anthelmintic activity. Int J Parasitol. 2015;45:333-43 pubmed publisher..org/resource/london-declaration) through the rapid and efficient repurposing of compounds in public-private partnerships. ..
- Mohandas N, Young N, Jabbar A, Korhonen P, Koehler A, Hall R, et al. The complement of family M1 aminopeptidases of Haemonchus contortus--Biotechnological implications. Biotechnol Adv. 2016;34:65-76 pubmed publisher..contortus as well as facilitate future assessments of a recombinant subunit or cocktail vaccine against haemonchosis. ..
- Gasser R, Woods W, Wood J, Ashdown L, Richards G, Whithear K. Automated, fluorescence-based approach for the specific diagnosis of chicken coccidiosis. Electrophoresis. 2001;22:3546-50 pubmed..It is well suited for high-throughput diagnostic screening of oocyst samples and should find applicability as a tool for prevalence studies, monitoring of coccidiosis outbreaks and the quality control of vaccines. ..
- Marangi M, Koehler A, Zanzani S, Manfredi M, Brianti E, Giangaspero A, et al. Detection of Cyclospora in captive chimpanzees and macaques by a quantitative PCR-based mutation scanning approach. Parasit Vectors. 2015;8:274 pubmed publisher..6%) and nine (9.3%) Macaca fascicularis. The present study represents the first record of Cyclospora in captive primates in Europe, suggesting the presence of Cyclospora cayetanensis, which is transmissible to humans. ..
- Alvarez Rojas C, Ansell B, Hall R, Gasser R, Young N, Jex A, et al. Transcriptional analysis identifies key genes involved in metabolism, fibrosis/tissue repair and the immune response against Fasciola hepatica in sheep liver. Parasit Vectors. 2015;8:124 pubmed publisher..It defines the involvement of specific genes associated with the host's metabolism, immune response and tissue repair/regeneration, and highlights an apparent overlapping function of many genes involved in these processes. ..
- Mohandas N, Young N, Jabbar A, Korhonen P, Koehler A, Amani P, et al. The barber's pole worm CAP protein superfamily--A basis for fundamental discovery and biotechnology advances. Biotechnol Adv. 2015;33:1744-54 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this review should guide future molecular studies of these molecules, and could support the development of novel interventions against haemonchosis. ..
- Giangaspero A, Marangi M, Koehler A, Papini R, Normanno G, Lacasella V, et al. Molecular detection of Cyclospora in water, soil, vegetables and humans in southern Italy signals a need for improved monitoring by health authorities. Int J Food Microbiol. 2015;211:95-100 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that irrigation water, soil and vegetables might be contaminated by Cyclospora cayetanensis, which might represent a source of infection to humans in the study area and calls for monitoring by health authorities. ..
- Tyagi R, Joachim A, Ruttkowski B, Rosa B, Martin J, Hallsworth Pepin K, et al. Cracking the nodule worm code advances knowledge of parasite biology and biotechnology to tackle major diseases of livestock. Biotechnol Adv. 2015;33:980-91 pubmed publisher..This research progress provides an important resource for future comparative genomic and molecular biological investigations as well as for biotechnological research toward new anthelmintics, vaccines and diagnostic tests. ..
- Yuan W, Liu Y, Lok J, Stoltzfus J, Gasser R, Lei W, et al. Exploring features and function of Ss-riok-3, an enigmatic kinase gene from Strongyloides stercoralis. Parasit Vectors. 2014;7:561 pubmed publisher..The characterization of the RIOK-3 encoding gene from S. stercoralis provides a sound foundation for investigating in detail its function in the development and reproduction of this important pathogen. ..
- Perera P, Gasser R, Pulford D, Stevenson M, Firestone S, McFadden A, et al. Comparison of the performance of three PCR assays for the detection and differentiation of Theileria orientalis genotypes. Parasit Vectors. 2015;8:192 pubmed publisher..5-98.9%) of the three PCR assays were very comparable. The present findings show the advantages of using the MT PCR assay as a useful tool for in-depth epidemiological and transmission studies of T. orientalis worldwide. ..
- Yang X, Gasser R, Koehler A, Wang L, Zhu K, Chen L, et al. Mitochondrial genome of Hypoderaeum conoideum - comparison with selected trematodes. Parasit Vectors. 2015;8:97 pubmed publisher..The mt genome of H. conoideum should be useful as a resource for comparative mt genomic studies of trematodes and for DNA markers for systematic, population genetic and epidemiological studies of H. conoideum and congeners. ..
- Guan G, Korhonen P, Young N, Koehler A, Wang T, Li Y, et al. Genomic resources for a unique, low-virulence Babesia taxon from China. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:564 pubmed..Moreover, the present genomic resource and an in vitro culture system for Bx raises the prospect of establishing a functional genomic platform to explore essential genes as new intervention targets against babesiosis. ..
- Wang T, Guan G, Korhonen P, Koehler A, Hall R, Young N, et al. The apicoplast genomes of two taxonomic units of Babesia from sheep. Vet Parasitol. 2017;233:123-128 pubmed publisher..Although the focus of the present study was on Babesia, we propose that the present sequencing-bioinformatic approach should be applicable to organellar genomes of a wide range of apicomplexans of veterinary importance. ..
- Stroehlein A, Young N, Hall R, Korhonen P, Hofmann A, Sternberg P, et al. CAP protein superfamily members in Toxocara canis. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:360 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study could provide a foundation to guide future studies of CAP proteins of T. canis and related parasites, and might assist in finding new interventions against diseases caused by these parasites. ..
- Gasser R, Cantacessi C. Heartworm genomics: unprecedented opportunities for fundamental molecular insights and new intervention strategies. Top Companion Anim Med. 2011;26:193-9 pubmed publisher..immitis and CHWD. Tackling key biological questions using these technologies will provide a "systems biology" context and could lead to radically new intervention and management strategies against heartworm. ..
- Mohandas N, Hu M, Stroehlein A, Young N, Sternberg P, Lok J, et al. Reconstruction of the insulin-like signalling pathway of Haemonchus contortus. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:64 pubmed publisher..elegans. This study paves the way for the further characterization of key signalling pathways in other socioeconomically important parasites and should help understand the complex mechanisms involved in developmental processes. ..
- Gasser R, Tan P, Teh B, Wongkham S, Young N. Genomics of worms, with an emphasis on Opisthorchis viverrini - opportunities for fundamental discovery and biomedical outcomes. Parasitol Int. 2017;66:341-345 pubmed publisher..Looking ahead, we hope that this genomic resource stimulates vibrant and productive collaborations within a consortium context, focused on the effective control of opisthorchiasis. ..
- Jiao Y, Preston S, Song H, Jabbar A, Liu Y, Baell J, et al. Assessing the anthelmintic activity of pyrazole-5-carboxamide derivatives against Haemonchus contortus. Parasit Vectors. 2017;10:272 pubmed publisher..The present findings provide a sound basis for future work, aimed at identifying the targets of compounds a-15 and a-17 and establishing the modes of action of these chemicals in H. contortus. ..
- Yap N, Koehler A, Ebner J, Tan T, Lim Y, Gasser R. Molecular analysis of Cryptosporidium from cattle from five states of Peninsular Malaysia. Mol Cell Probes. 2016;30:39-43 pubmed publisher..Future studies should investigate the zoonotic potential of Cryptosporidium in pre-weaned and weaned calves in rural communities of Malaysia. ..
- Hess J, Patra M, Rangasamy L, Konatschnig S, Blacque O, Jabbar A, et al. Organometallic Derivatization of the Nematocidal Drug Monepantel Leads to Promising Antiparasitic Drug Candidates. Chemistry. 2016;22:16602-16612 pubmed publisher..Two compounds, namely, an organic precursor (3?a) and a cymantrene analogue (9?a), showed activities against microfilariae of Dirofilaria immitis in the low microgram per milliliter range. ..
- Wang T, Fan Y, Koehler A, Ma G, Li T, Hu M, et al. First survey of Cryptosporidium, Giardia and Enterocytozoon in diarrhoeic children from Wuhan, China. Infect Genet Evol. 2017;51:127-131 pubmed publisher..Future studies might focus on the occurrence of these protists in children as well as animals, with an emphasis on Cryptosporidium meleagridis in pets and agriculturally important birds, in different parts of Hubei province. ..
- Wang D, Young N, Koehler A, Tan P, Sohn W, Korhonen P, et al. Mitochondrial genomic comparison of Clonorchis sinensis from South Korea with other isolates of this species. Infect Genet Evol. 2017;51:160-166 pubmed publisher..sinensis from disparate geographical locations in parts of Asia and to prospect for cryptic species. ..
- Wang D, Korhonen P, Gasser R, Young N. Improved genomic resources and new bioinformatic workflow for the carcinogenic parasite Clonorchis sinensis: Biotechnological implications. Biotechnol Adv. 2018;36:894-904 pubmed publisher..sinensis from Korea and comparative genomic analyses, as a basis for future investigations of the genetic structures of C. sinensis populations, and discuss the biotechnological implications of these explorations. ..
- Zhang Y, Koehler A, Wang T, Haydon S, Gasser R. First detection and genetic characterisation of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in wild deer in Melbourne's water catchments in Australia. Parasit Vectors. 2018;11:2 pubmed publisher..Further insight into the epidemiology of E. bieneusi in wildlife, water and the environment in Australia will be important to have an informed position on the public health significance of microsporidiosis caused by this microbe. ..
- Zhou R, Ma G, Korhonen P, Luo Y, Zhu H, Luo Y, et al. Comparative transcriptomic analyses of male and female adult Toxocara canis. Gene. 2017;600:85-89 pubmed publisher..canis. The results of this transcriptomic study should provide a useful basis to support investigations of the reproductive biology of T. canis and related nematodes.2. ..
- Preston S, Jiao Y, Jabbar A, McGee S, Laleu B, Willis P, et al. Screening of the 'Pathogen Box' identifies an approved pesticide with major anthelmintic activity against the barber's pole worm. Int J Parasitol Drugs Drug Resist. 2016;6:329-334 pubmed publisher..contortus and other parasitic nematodes. Future work should assess its activity against hookworms and other pathogens that cause neglected tropical diseases. ..
- Gasser R. Molecular tools--advances, opportunities and prospects. Vet Parasitol. 2006;136:69-89 pubmed
- Gasser R, Cantacessi C, Loukas A. DNA technological progress toward advanced diagnostic tools to support human hookworm control. Biotechnol Adv. 2008;26:35-45 pubmed..This progress provides a foundation for the rapid development of practical, highly sensitive and specific diagnostic and analytical tools to be used in improved hookworm prevention and control programmes. ..
- Koehler A, Haydon S, Jex A, Gasser R. Cryptosporidium and Giardia taxa in faecal samples from animals in catchments supplying the city of Melbourne with drinking water (2011 to 2015). Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:315 pubmed publisher..Nucleotide sequences reported in this paper are available in the GenBank database under accession nos. KU531647-KU531718. ..
- Li F, Gasser R, Lok J, Korhonen P, He L, Di W, et al. Molecular characterization of the Haemonchus contortus phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase-1 gene (Hc-pdk-1). Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:65 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the findings from this study provide a first glimpse of the involvement of Hc-pdk-1 in the insulin-like signalling pathway in H. contortus. ..
- Preston S, Luo J, Zhang Y, Jabbar A, Crawford S, Baell J, et al. Selenophene and thiophene-core estrogen receptor ligands that inhibit motility and development of parasitic stages of Haemonchus contortus. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:346 pubmed publisher..Future studies could focus on assessing the selectivity of these SERMs to parasites, characterising their target(s) and/or designing analogs that are parasite-specific. ..
- Heizer E, Zarlenga D, Rosa B, Gao X, Gasser R, De Graef J, et al. Transcriptome analyses reveal protein and domain families that delineate stage-related development in the economically important parasitic nematodes, Ostertagia ostertagi and Cooperia oncophora. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:118 pubmed publisher..New methods of control and alternative drug targets are necessary. In-depth analysis of transcriptomic data can help provide these targets...
- Cantacessi C, Campbell B, Young N, Jex A, Hall R, Presidente P, et al. Differences in transcription between free-living and CO2-activated third-stage larvae of Haemonchus contortus. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:266 pubmed publisher..Such advances should lead to a significantly improved understanding of the molecular biology of H. contortus and, from an applied perspective, to novel methods of intervention. ..
- Laha T, Pinlaor P, Mulvenna J, Sripa B, Sripa M, Smout M, et al. Gene discovery for the carcinogenic human liver fluke, Opisthorchis viverrini. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:189 pubmed..Despite being the only eukaryote that is designated as a 'class I carcinogen' by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, little is known about its genome...
- Ranganathan S, Nagaraj S, Hu M, Strube C, Schnieder T, Gasser R. A transcriptomic analysis of the adult stage of the bovine lungworm, Dictyocaulus viviparus. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:311 pubmed..In this study, we provide first insights into the transcriptome of the adult stage of D. viviparus through the analysis of expressed sequence tags (ESTs)...
- Jex A, Hu M, Littlewood D, Waeschenbach A, Gasser R. Using 454 technology for long-PCR based sequencing of the complete mitochondrial genome from single Haemonchus contortus (Nematoda). BMC Genomics. 2008;9:11 pubmed publisher..This approach provides a novel platform for high-throughput sequencing of mt genomes from nematodes and other organisms...
- Jabbar A, Beveridge I, Mohandas N, Chilton N, Littlewood D, Jex A, et al. Analyses of mitochondrial amino acid sequence datasets support the proposal that specimens of Hypodontus macropi from three species of macropodid hosts represent distinct species. BMC Evol Biol. 2013;13:259 pubmed publisher..The present analyses of inferred mt protein sequence datasets clearly supported the hypothesis that H. macropi from M. robustus robustus, M. bicolor and T. billardierii represent distinct species. ..
- Nagaraj S, Gasser R, Nisbet A, Ranganathan S. In silico analysis of expressed sequence tags from Trichostrongylus vitrinus (Nematoda): comparison of the automated ESTExplorer workflow platform with conventional database searches. BMC Bioinformatics. 2008;9 Suppl 1:S10 pubmed publisher..In this study, we evaluated EST data analysis for the parasitic nematode Trichostrongylus vitrinus (order Strongylida) using ESTExplorer, compared with database matching alone...
- Gasser R, de Gruijter J, Polderman A. Insights into the epidemiology and genetic make-up of Oesophagostomum bifurcum from human and non-human primates using molecular tools. Parasitology. 2006;132:453-60 pubmed..Recent research findings are discussed mainly in relation to non-human primates being reservoirs of infection, and the consequences for the prevention and control of oesophagostomiasis in humans are briefly discussed...
- Gasser R, Cottee P, Nisbet A, Ruttkowski B, Ranganathan S, Joachim A. Oesophagostomum dentatum: potential as a model for genomic studies of strongylid nematodes, with biotechnological prospects. Biotechnol Adv. 2007;25:281-93 pubmed..dentatum - pig system provides an attractive model for exploring molecular developmental and reproductive processes in strongylid nematodes, leading toward new intervention methods and biotechnological outcomes...
- Gasser R, Jabbar A, Mohandas N, Schnyder M, Deplazes P, Littlewood D, et al. Mitochondrial genome of Angiostrongylus vasorum: comparison with congeners and implications for studying the population genetics and epidemiology of this parasite. Infect Genet Evol. 2012;12:1884-91 pubmed publisher..vasorum. Molecular tools, employing such mt markers, should be useful for explorations into host specificity and for prospecting for cryptic species, and might also underpin the diagnosis of canine angiostrongylosis...
- Gasser R, Jabbar A, Mohandas N, Hoglund J, Hall R, Littlewood D, et al. Assessment of the genetic relationship between Dictyocaulus species from Bos taurus and Cervus elaphus using complete mitochondrial genomic datasets. Parasit Vectors. 2012;5:241 pubmed publisher..viviparus are separate species. Barcodes in the two mt genomes and proteomes should serve as markers for future studies of the population genetics and/or epidemiology of these and related species of Dictyocaulus. ..
- Liu G, Gasser R, Young N, Song H, Ai L, Zhu X. Complete mitochondrial genomes of the 'intermediate form' of Fasciola and Fasciola gigantica, and their comparison with F. hepatica. Parasit Vectors. 2014;7:150 pubmed publisher..The mt genomes characterized here provide a rich source of markers, which can be used in combination with nuclear markers and imaging techniques, for future comparative studies of the biology of Fasciola sp. from China and other countries...
- Jiao Y, Preston S, Koehler A, Stroehlein A, Chang B, Simpson K, et al. Screening of the 'Stasis Box' identifies two kinase inhibitors under pharmaceutical development with activity against Haemonchus contortus. Parasit Vectors. 2017;10:323 pubmed publisher..contortus in vitro, further work needs to be undertaken to chemically alter these entities to achieve the potency and selectivity required for them to become nematocidal or nematostatic candidates. ..
- Anstead C, Batterham P, Korhonen P, Young N, Hall R, Bowles V, et al. A blow to the fly - Lucilia cuprina draft genome and transcriptome to support advances in biology and biotechnology. Biotechnol Adv. 2016;34:605-620 pubmed publisher..cuprina genome should have on future research of this and related parasitic flies, and the design of new and improved interventions for myiasis. ..
- Koehler A, Haydon S, Jex A, Gasser R. Is Cryptosporidium from the common wombat (Vombatus ursinus) a new species and distinct from Cryptosporidium ubiquitum?. Infect Genet Evol. 2016;44:28-33 pubmed publisher..Phylogenetic analysis suggests that subtypes of C. ubiquitum can be divided into generalist and specialist groups, which is important when considering the zoonotic potential of C. ubiquitum in the context of drinking water safety. ..
- Wang T, Guan G, Korhonen P, Koehler A, Young N, Hall R, et al. Mitochondrial genomes of two Babesia taxa from sheep in China as a foundation for population genetic and epidemiological investigations. Infect Genet Evol. 2017;47:51-55 pubmed publisher..We propose that the sequencing-bioinformatic approach used here should be applicable to a wide range of protists of veterinary importance. ..
- Yap N, Goh X, Koehler A, William T, Yeo T, Vythilingam I, et al. Genetic diversity in the C-terminus of merozoite surface protein 1 among Plasmodium knowlesi isolates from Selangor and Sabah Borneo, Malaysia. Infect Genet Evol. 2017;54:39-46 pubmed publisher..Future investigations should study large numbers of samples from disparate geographical locations to critically assess whether this molecule might be a potential vaccine target for P. knowlesi. ..
- Dilrukshi Herath H, Preston S, Hofmann A, Davis R, Koehler A, Chang B, et al. Screening of a small, well-curated natural product-based library identifies two rotenoids with potent nematocidal activity against Haemonchus contortus. Vet Parasitol. 2017;244:172-175 pubmed publisher..contortus. Detailed future work needs to be conducted to explore the mode of action of this compound on H. contortus and related nematodes, and to assess its potential as an anthelmintic candidate. ..
- Preston S, Korhonen P, Mouchiroud L, Cornaglia M, McGee S, Young N, et al. Deguelin exerts potent nematocidal activity via the mitochondrial respiratory chain. FASEB J. 2017;31:4515-4532 pubmed publisher..Fisher, G. M., Andrews, K. T., Chang, B. C. H., Gijs, M. A. M., Sternberg, P. W., Auwerx, J., Baell, J., Hofmann, A., Jabbar, A., Gasser, R. B. Deguelin exerts potent nematocidal activity via the mitochondrial respiratory chain. ..
- Koehler A, Korhonen P, Hall R, Young N, Wang T, Haydon S, et al. Use of a bioinformatic-assisted primer design strategy to establish a new nested PCR-based method for Cryptosporidium. Parasit Vectors. 2017;10:509 pubmed publisher..Although the present bioinformatic workflow used here was for the specific design of primers in nuclear DNA of Cryptosporidium, this approach should be broadly applicable to many other microorganisms. ..
- Preston S, Jiao Y, Baell J, Keiser J, Crawford S, Koehler A, et al. Screening of the 'Open Scaffolds' collection from Compounds Australia identifies a new chemical entity with anthelmintic activities against different developmental stages of the barber's pole worm and other parasitic nematodes. Int J Parasitol Drugs Drug Resist. 2017;7:286-294 pubmed publisher..Our future work will focus on assessing the activity of SN00797439 against other pathogens that cause neglected tropical diseases, optimising analogs with improved biological activities and characterising their targets. ..