Affiliation: University of Sydney
- Therapeutic exercise for people with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee. A systematic reviewMarlene Fransen
Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Australia
J Rheumatol 29:1737-45. 2002....
- Land-based exercise for osteoarthritis of the knee: a metaanalysis of randomized controlled trialsMarlene Fransen
The George Institute, University of Sydney, PO Box M201 Missenden Road, Camperdown NSW 2050, Australia
J Rheumatol 36:1109-17. 2009..To explore whether the magnitude of treatment benefit reported in randomized controlled trials (RCT) is associated with exercise dosage or study methodology...
- Excess mortality or institutionalization after hip fracture: men are at greater risk than womenMarlene Fransen
Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Australia
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:685-90. 2002..To assess 2-year excess mortality or institutionalization risk associated with hip fracture in community-dwelling people aged 60 and over...
- Isometric muscle force measurement for clinicians treating patients with osteoarthritis of the kneeMarlene Fransen
St George Hospital, Kogarah, New South Wales, Australia
Arthritis Rheum 49:29-35. 2003..To evaluate the discriminant validity and, for clinicians, the test-retest reliability of isometric force in patients with knee osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Preventing chronic ectopic bone-related pain and disability after hip replacement surgery with perioperative ibuprofen. A multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial (HIPAID)Marlene Fransen
Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, P O Box 576, Newtown, Sydney, NSW 2042, Australia
Control Clin Trials 25:223-33. 2004....
- Influence of BMI on health-related quality of life: comparison between an obese adult cohort and age-matched population normsAnanthila Anandacoomarasamy
Institute of Bone and Joint Research, Kolling Institute, Department of Rheumatology, Royal North Shore Hospital, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:2114-8. 2009..Obesity is associated with impaired health-related quality of life and disability as measured by the SF-36, AQoL, and fatigue score (MAF) compared to matched population norms...
- Cartilage defects are associated with physical disability in obese adultsAnanthila Anandacoomarasamy
Department of Rheumatology, Institute of Bone and Joint Research, Kolling Institute, Sydney, NSW 2065, Australia
Rheumatology (Oxford) 48:1290-3. 2009..To describe the associations between physical disability measures and knee cartilage defects in obese adults...
- Safety and efficacy of routine postoperative ibuprofen for pain and disability related to ectopic bone formation after hip replacement surgery (HIPAID): randomised controlled trialMarlene Fransen
The George Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Australia
BMJ 333:519. 2006..To determine the benefits and risks of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) as prophylaxis for ectopic bone formation in patients undergoing total hip replacement (or revision) surgery...
- Determinants of heterotopic ossification after total hip replacement surgeryMarlene Fransen
The George Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Lidcomb, NSW 1825, Australia
Hip Int 19:41-6. 2009....
- Maximum recovery after knee replacement--the MARKER study rationale and protocolChung Wei Christine Lin
The George Institute for International Health, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2050, Australia
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 10:69. 2009....
- Delayed gadolinium-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging of cartilage: clinical associations in obese adultsAnanthila Anandacoomarasamy
Department of Rheumatology, Institute of Bone and Joint Research, Kolling Institute, University of Sydney, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Rheumatol 36:1056-62. 2009..Our aim was to determine the relationships between self-reported pain and disability, clinical variables, and serum leptin, and dGEMRIC indices in obese subjects with and without clinical knee osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Physical activity for osteoarthritis management: a randomized controlled clinical trial evaluating hydrotherapy or Tai Chi classesMarlene Fransen
The George Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Arthritis Rheum 57:407-14. 2007..To determine whether Tai Chi or hydrotherapy classes for individuals with chronic symptomatic hip or knee osteoarthritis (OA) result in measurable clinical benefits...
- Burden of reduced work productivity among people with chronic knee pain: a systematic reviewMaria Agaliotis
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Sydney, Lidcombe, New South Wales, Australia
Occup Environ Med 71:651-9. 2014....
- Patient preferences for adherence to treatment for osteoarthritis: the MEdication Decisions in Osteoarthritis Study (MEDOS)Tracey Lea Laba
Faculty of Pharmacy, The University of Sydney, Camperdown, Sydney, Australia
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 14:160. 2013..This study aimed to estimate the relative influence of medication-related factors and respondent characteristics on decisions to continue medications among people with symptomatic OA...
- Obesity and the musculoskeletal systemAnanthila Anandacoomarasamy
Institute of Bone and Joint Research, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Curr Opin Rheumatol 21:71-7. 2009..To describe recent developments highlighting the effects and mechanisms of obesity and weight loss on the musculoskeletal system...
- Risk factors associated with the transition from acute to chronic occupational back painMarlene Fransen
Institute for International Health, University of Sydney, Newtown, New South Wales, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:92-8. 2002..Information obtained at the time of the initial claim was linked to compensation status (still claiming or not claiming) 3 months later...
- The epidemiology of osteoarthritis in AsiaMarlene Fransen
Faculty of Health Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Int J Rheum Dis 14:113-21. 2011..The results of Asian-based studies evaluating risk factors from population-based cohorts or case-control studies, and the current evidence on OA morbidity burden in Asia is also outlined...
- Status of physiotherapy rehabilitation after total knee replacement in AustraliaJustine Naylor
Whitlam Joint Replacement Centre, Fairfield Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Physiother Res Int 11:35-47. 2006..This survey of clinicians aimed to describe standard (usual) care after total knee replacement in Australia and to provide possible explanations for practice variance, if such variation exists...
- A longitudinal study of knee pain in older men: Concord Health and Ageing in Men ProjectMarlene Fransen
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Sydney, East Street, Lidcombe NSW 1825, Australia
Age Ageing 43:206-12. 2014..The aim of this study was to determine the disease burden associated with chronic knee pain and the role of knee extensor strength as a modifiable risk factor...
- The global burden of hip and knee osteoarthritis: estimates from the Global Burden of Disease 2010 studyMarita Cross
University of Sydney, Institute of Bone and Joint Research, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia
Ann Rheum Dis 73:1323-30. 2014..To estimate the global burden of hip and knee osteoarthritis (OA) as part of the Global Burden of Disease 2010 study and to explore how the burden of hip and knee OA compares with other conditions...
- Sleep habits, insomnia, and daytime sleepiness in a large and healthy community-based sample of New ZealandersBradley R Wilsmore
Sleep and Circadian Research Group, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
J Clin Sleep Med 9:559-66. 2013..To determine the relationship between sleep complaints, primary insomnia, excessive daytime sleepiness, and lifestyle factors in a large community-based sample...
- WITHDRAWN: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for preventing heterotopic bone formation after hip arthroplastyMarlene Fransen
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD001160. 2013..However, the magnitude of the effect on HBF, and the effects on other associated outcomes, such as pain and physical function, are uncertain...
- Hip and knee pain: role of occupational factorsMarlene Fransen
Clinical and Rehabilitation Sciences Research Group, University of Sydney, Australia
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 25:81-101. 2011..Identifying modifiable workplace risk factors and implementing feasible and accessible preventative strategies will be of great public health significance in the next decade...
- Exercise for osteoarthritis of the hipMarlene Fransen
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Sydney, Room 0212, Cumberland Campus C42, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1825
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4:CD007912. 2014..Current international treatment guidelines recommending therapeutic exercise for people with symptomatic hip osteoarthritis (OA) report are based on limited evidence...
- Management of chronic knee painRob Herbert
BMJ 335:786. 2007
- Dietary weight loss and exercise for obese adults with knee osteoarthritis: modest weight loss targets, mild exercise, modest effectsMarlene Fransen
Arthritis Rheum 50:1366-9. 2004