Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of New South Wales
- Developmental and mental health disorders: two sides of the same coinValsamma Eapen
Academic Unit of Child Psychiatry, South West Sydney Mental Health Centre Level 1, Locked Bag 7103, Liverpool BC, NSW 1871, Australia School of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia Electronic address
Asian J Psychiatr 8:7-11. 2014..This paper presents a framework for evaluating developmental vulnerability that highlights common risk factors for developmental and mental health disorders. ..
- Adult separation anxiety in pregnancy: how common is it?Valsamma Eapen
School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Sydney
Int J Womens Health 4:251-6. 2012..Further research is indicated to explore this clinical entity and its impact on maternal and infant psychosocial wellbeing...
- Pathogenetic model for Tourette syndrome delineates overlap with related neurodevelopmental disorders including AutismR A Clarke
Department of Human Genetics, Ingham Institute, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Transl Psychiatry 2:e158. 2012..The emergent neuropathogenetic model integrates all five genes so far found to be uniquely disrupted in TS into a single pathogenetic chain of events described in context with clinical and research implications...
- Adult separation anxiety during pregnancy and its relationship to depression and anxietyValsamma Eapen
School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Perinat Med 41:159-63. 2013..The current study, the first of its kind, investigated the overlap between adult separation anxiety (ASA) and the symptoms of depression and anxiety in the context of pregnancy...
- Bridging the gap from evidence to policy and practice: reducing the progression to metabolic syndrome for children and adolescents on antipsychotic medicationValsamma Eapen
School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 47:435-42. 2013..This review focuses on bridging the current gap between available evidence and practice guidelines and policies...
- Clinical outcomes of an early intervention program for preschool children with Autism Spectrum Disorder in a community group settingValsamma Eapen
Academic Unit of Child Psychiatry, South West Sydney Local Health District AUCS, Sydney, Australia
BMC Pediatr 13:3. 2013..This study evaluated the effectiveness of the ESDM for preschool-aged children with ASD using a predominantly group-based intervention in a community child care setting...
- Strategies and challenges in the management of adolescent depressionValsamma Eapen
Academic Unit of Child Psychiatry South West Sydney, University of New South Wales, Liverpool, New South Wales, Australia
Curr Opin Psychiatry 25:7-13. 2012....
- Health and education: service providers in partnership to improve mental healthValsamma Eapen
Academic Unit of Child Psychiatry South West Sydney AUCS, University of New South Wales, ICAMHS, Mental Health Centre, L1 Liverpool Hospital, Elizabeth Street, Liverpool NSW 2170, Sydney, Australia
Int J Ment Health Syst 6:19. 2012..Our findings support strategies to promote the social milieu of schools as a way of achieving better mental health and learning outcomes...
- Metabolic syndrome among the young obese in the United Arab EmiratesValsamma Eapen
Infant, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Australia
J Trop Pediatr 56:325-8. 2010..Child health professionals must be aware of this and attempts should be made for early identification and necessary intervention including attention to psychological issues...
- Weight gain and metabolic syndrome among young patients on antipsychotic medication: what do we know and where do we go?Valsamma Eapen
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, UNSW, Academic Unit of Child Psychiatry South West Sydney, ICAMHS, Sydney South West Area Health Service, Liverpool, NSW, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 19:232-5. 2011..This paper examines the current state of evidence on this topic and suggests directions for future research and clinical practice...
- Genetic basis of autism: is there a way forward?Valsamma Eapen
Infant Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Curr Opin Psychiatry 24:226-36. 2011....
- Tourette syndrome in children and adolescents: special considerationsValsamma Eapen
Sydney South West Area Health Service
J Psychosom Res 67:525-32. 2009..Effective communication and collaboration between families, health care providers, and school personnel, as well as supportive communities, are essential components of comprehensive management...
- Attitudes, perceptions, and family coping in pediatric cancer and childhood diabetesValsamma Eapen
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1138:47-9. 2008....
- Prevalence and psychosocial correlates of global developmental delay in 3-year-old children in the United Arab EmiratesValsamma Eapen
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
J Psychosom Res 61:321-6. 2006..Data on prevalence and associated factors can provide the basis for setting priorities and designing interventions...
- Learning disorder and blood concentration of heavy metals in the United Arab EmiratesSaid Yousef
Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University, United Arab Emirates
Asian J Psychiatr 6:394-400. 2013..Our findings suggest the need for monitoring for toxic metals in the environment. ..
- A controlled study of psychosocial factors in young people with diabetes in the United arab emiratesValsamma Eapen
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University, PO Box 17666, Al Ain, UAE
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1084:325-8. 2006..Awareness and understanding of these psychosocial variables can help healthcare providers to target these issues as part of comprehensive diabetes management...
- Problem behaviors in 3-year-old children in the United Arab EmiratesValsamma Eapen
Faculty of Medicine, United Arab Emirates University, PO Box 17666, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
J Pediatr Health Care 18:186-91. 2004..Although this type of study exists in the industrialized countries, very few studies have been undertaken in the developing countries...
- Prevalence of pervasive developmental disorders in preschool children in the UAEValsamma Eapen
Faculty of Medicine, UAE University, United Arab Emirates
J Trop Pediatr 53:202-5. 2007..However, the lack of recognition of these disorders suggests the need for a comprehensive screening program, as early diagnosis can open the door for early intervention which in turn may improve the prognosis...
- Child psychiatric disorders in a primary care Arab populationValsamma Eapen
Faculty of Medicine, UAE University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Int J Psychiatry Med 34:51-60. 2004..This study was undertaken to determine the prevalence and nature of child psychiatric morbidity in primary care in the United Arab Emirates (UAE)...
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and environmental toxic metal exposure in the United Arab EmiratesSaid Yousef
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University, Al Ain, UAE
J Trop Pediatr 57:457-60. 2011..The findings suggest that monitoring for exposure to heavy metal levels and education on potential child health hazards related to them are indicated...
- Disordered eating attitudes and symptomatology among adolescent girls in the United Arab EmiratesValsamma Eapen
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University, Al Ain
Eat Behav 7:53-60. 2006..To ascertain the prevalence and correlates of disordered eating attitudes and symptomatology in a school-based Arab population...
- The role of clinical phenotypes in understanding the genetics of obsessive-compulsive disorderValsamma Eapen
UAE University, PO Box 17666, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
J Psychosom Res 61:359-64. 2006..The implications of this finding on clinical and genetic heterogeneity in OCD are discussed...
- Postpartum mental illness: perspectives from an Arabian Gulf populationRafia Ghubash
UAE University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Psychol Rep 105:127-36. 2009..The present findings suggest the need for initiating awareness programs among women and training of health professionals on the detection and management of postnatal depression...
- Help-seeking for mental health problems of children: preferences and attitudes in the United Arab EmiratesValsamma Eapen
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University, P O Box 17666, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Psychol Rep 94:663-7. 2004..Our results suggest that sociocultural factors and parental perceptions may have a major effect on whether children with psychiatric disturbance receive professional help...
- The Boomerangs Parenting Program for Aboriginal parents and their young childrenLily Lee
Infant Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, Liverpool Hospital, Liverpool, NSW, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 18:527-33. 2010....
- Children with psychiatric disorders: the A1 Ain Community Psychiatric SurveyValsamma Eapen
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University, A1 Ain, United Arab Emirates
Can J Psychiatry 48:402-7. 2003..The prevalence of child psychiatric morbidity in the community is unknown in most developing countries, including those in the Arab region...
- Prevalence and correlates of nocturnal enuresis in the United Arab EmiratesValsamma Eapen
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University, PO Box 17666, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Saudi Med J 24:49-51. 2003..To determine the prevalence, socio-demographic correlates and associated psychopathology in children with enuresis...