Affiliation: University of Sydney
- Once-yearly zoledronic acid in hip fracture preventionOddom Demontiero
Aging Bone Research Program, Nepean Clinical School, University of Sydney, Penrith, NSW, Australia
Clin Interv Aging 4:153-64. 2009..In this review, we report the current evidence on the use of ZOL for the prevention of hip fractures in the elderly. We also report the pharmacological characteristics and the advantages and disadvantages of ZOL in this particular group...
- Inhibition of Protein Farnesylation Arrests Adipogenesis and Affects PPARgamma Expression and Activation in Differentiating Mesenchymal Stem CellsDaniel Rivas
Lady Davis, Institute for Medical Research, Montreal, Quebec, Canada QC H3T 1E2
PPAR Res 2007:81654. 2007..In summary, inhibition of protein farnesylation arrests the adipogenic differentiation of MSCs and affects PPARgamma expression and activity...
- Age-related bone loss in the LOU/c rat model of healthy ageingGustavo Duque
Aging Bone Research Program, Nepean Clinical School, University of Sydney, Nepean Hospital, NSW, Australia
Exp Gerontol 44:183-9. 2009..In summary, aged LOU rats exhibit low-turnover bone loss and marrow fat infiltration, which are the hallmarks of senile osteoporosis, and thus represent a novel model in which to study the molecular mechanisms leading to this disorder...
- Treatment for osteoporosis in Australian residential aged care facilities: consensus recommendations for fracture preventionGustavo Duque
Ageing Bone Research Program, Sydney Medical School Nepean Campus, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 193:173-9. 2010..In general, teriparatide should not be considered as a first-line treatment for fracture prevention, particularly for people in RACFs...
- Effects of risedronate on bone marrow adipocytes in postmenopausal womenG Duque
Aging Bone Research Program, Sydney Medical School Nepean Campus, The University of Sydney, Penrith, NSW, Australia
Osteoporos Int 22:1547-53. 2011..Their effect on adipogenesis in vivo remains unknown. In this study, we demonstrate that risedronate prevents marrow fat infiltration in postmenopausal women after 3 years of treatment...
- Bone and fat connection in aging boneGustavo Duque
Nepean Clinical School, University of Sydney, Penrith, New South Wales, Australia
Curr Opin Rheumatol 20:429-34. 2008..Additionally, bone marrow fat will be considered as a diagnostic and therapeutic approach to osteoporosis...
- Understanding the mechanisms of senile osteoporosis: new facts for a major geriatric syndromeGustavo Duque
Aging Bone Research Program, Nepean Clinical School, University of Sydney, Penrith, New South Wales, Australia
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:935-41. 2008..New potential treatments are also considered, including therapeutic approaches to osteoporosis in elderly people that focus on the pathophysiology and potential reversal of the adipogenic shift in bone...
- Vitamin D status in relation to postural stability in the elderlyD Boersma
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Nepean Hospital, Penrith, NSW, Australia 2751
J Nutr Health Aging 16:270-5. 2012..In this study, we investigated the impact of vitamin D deficiency on PI in a sample of community dwelling older subjects. Our objective was to determine the potential association between vitamin D deficiency and PI in older fallers...
- Prevention and treatment of senile osteoporosis and hip fracturesG Duque
Aging Bone Research Program, Nepean Clinical School, University of Sydney, Penrith, NSW, Australia
Minerva Med 100:79-94. 2009..The choice of therapy should be determined by the patient's calculated fracture risk and efficacy of the potential treatment, including long term compliance associated with the agent of choice...
- Protein isoprenylation regulates osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells: effect of alendronate, and farnesyl and geranylgeranyl transferase inhibitorsG Duque
Ageing Bone Research Program, Sydney Medical School Nepean Campus, The University of Sydney, Penrith, NSW, Australia
Br J Pharmacol 162:1109-18. 2011..However, its role in osteoblast differentiation and function remains unknown. In this study, we assessed the role of protein isoprenylation in osteoblastogenesis in a model of mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) differentiation...
- Alendronate has an anabolic effect on bone through the differentiation of mesenchymal stem cellsGustavo Duque
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Bone Miner Res 22:1603-11. 2007..ALN inhibited adipogenesis while promoting osteoblast differentiation and activity. Our results reveal a new anabolic effect of ALN in differentiating bone marrow cells...
- Age-related bone loss: old bone, new factsGeorge K Chan
Division of Geriatric Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Que, Canada
Gerontology 48:62-71. 2002..We also consider the mechanism of programmed cell death, apoptosis, as being an important determinant of aging in bone as well as describe possible future interventions to prolong the life span of osteoblasts...
- Vitamin D treatment of senescence accelerated mice (SAM-P/6) induces several regulators of stromal cell plasticityGustavo Duque
Division of Geriatric Medicine, McGill University, 3755, Cote Sainte Catherine, Montreal, QC, Canada H3T 1E2
Biogerontology 5:421-9. 2004..In summary, this study illustrates the anti-adipogenic effect of 1,25(OH)2D3 in bone cells and identifies some of the possible key signals involved in bone cell plasticity...
- Will reducing adopogenesis in bone increase bone mass?: PPARgamma2 as a key target in the treatment of age-related bone lossGustavo Duque
Division of Geriatric Medicine McGill University, Jewish General Hospital, 3599 Cote Sainte Catherine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Drug News Perspect 16:341-6. 2003....
- 1,25(OH)2D3 inhibits bone marrow adipogenesis in senescence accelerated mice (SAM-P/6) by decreasing the expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma 2 (PPARgamma2)Gustavo Duque
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Medicine, 3755, Cote Sainte Catherine, Montreal, Que, Canada H3T 1E2
Exp Gerontol 39:333-8. 2004..01) In summary, this study shows that the administration of 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) in an in vivo model of senile osteoporosis is associated with reduction in PPARgamma2 a key transcription factor for the adipose differentiation of MSC...
- 1,25(OH)2D3 acts as a bone-forming agent in the hormone-independent senescence-accelerated mouse (SAM-P/6)Gustavo Duque
Calcium Research Laboratories, Department of Medicine, McGill University Health Centre, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E723-30. 2005..Taken together, these findings demonstrate that 1,25(OH)2D3 acts simultaneously on bone formation and resorption to prevent the development of senile osteoporosis...
- Severe bone changes in a case of Hutchinson-Gilford syndromeGiselle Helena de Paula Rodrigues
Division on Aging, Sorocaba Medical School, Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo, Brazil
Ann Genet 45:151-5. 2002..In summary, we report the case of an 8-year-old girl who meets the diagnostic criteria for HGPS with severe involvement of her bones and joints with a review of the current literature and a possible therapeutic approach...
- Estrogens (E2) regulate expression and response of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptors in bone cells: changes with aging and hormone deprivationGustavo Duque
Calcium Research Laboratory, Department of Medicine, McGill University, Que, Montreal, Canada
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 299:446-54. 2002..002). In summary, our results demonstrate that E(2) increases VDR expression in bone in vivo and potentiate the bioresponse of VDR in osteoblasts in vitro...
- [Osteoporosis in the elderly]Frederique Retornaz
Division de gériatrie, Universite McGill, Hôpital général juif, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Presse Med 35:1547-56. 2006..Strontium ranelate is a promising treatment in this population. Fall prevention is a major part of osteoporosis management. The potential benefit of hip protectors is questionable, even in institutionalized patients...
- Taking musculoskeletal aging out of the bench: do we finally understand frailty?Gustavo Duque
Jewish General Hospital, Division of Geriatric Medicine, McGill University, 3755, chemin de la Côte, Sainte Catherine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1E2
Mol Aspects Med 26:141-3. 2005
- Role of endocrine-immune dysregulation in osteoporosis, sarcopenia, frailty and fracture riskCherian Joseph
UConn Center on Aging, University of Connecticut Health Center, MC 5215, 263 Farmington Ave, Farmington, CT 06030 5215, United States
Mol Aspects Med 26:181-201. 2005....
- Vitamin D in the aging musculoskeletal system: an authentic strength preserving hormoneManuel Montero-Odasso
Geriatric Medicine Program, Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mol Aspects Med 26:203-19. 2005....
- Age-related changes in lamin A/C expression in the osteoarticular system: laminopathies as a potential new aging mechanismGustavo Duque
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Jewish General Hospital 3755, McGill University, Chemin de la Cote Sainte Catherine Montreal, Que, Canada H3T 1E2
Mech Ageing Dev 127:378-83. 2006..In this study we hypothesize that the expression of lamin A/C may play a role in the pathogenesis of age-related diseases in the osteoarticular system...
- Age-related changes in lamin A/C expression in cardiomyocytesJonathan Afilalo
Division of Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H1451-6. 2007..This is the first study to show that normal aging is associated with reduced expression and altered distribution of lamin A/C in nuclei of cardiomyocytes...
- To treat or not to treat, that is the question: proceedings of the Quebec Symposium for the Treatment of Osteoporosis in Long-term Care Institutions, Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec, November 5, 2004Gustavo Duque
Division of Geriatric Medicine, McGill University Jewish General Hospital, 3755 Cote Sainte Catherine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Am Med Dir Assoc 7:435-41. 2006..Management strategies include both nonpharmacological and pharmacological interventions for the prevention and treatment of osteoporotic fractures in very frail older subjects...
- To treat or not to treat, that is the question: proceedings of the Quebec symposium for the treatment of osteoporosis in long-term care institutions, Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec, November 5, 2004Gustavo Duque
Division of Geriatric Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Am Med Dir Assoc 8:e67-73. 2007..Management strategies include both nonpharmacological and pharmacological interventions for the prevention and treatment of osteoporotic fractures in very frail older subjects...