Affiliation: University of Melbourne
- Transmissible spongiform encephalopathiesSteven J Collins
Australian National Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease Registry, Melbourne, Australia
Lancet 363:51-61. 2004..Since case-to-case transmission is the only known mechanism underlying epidemics of TSE, potential reservoirs of infectivity in the tails of epidemics need continued vigilance...
- Enhanced geographically restricted surveillance simulates sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease clusterGenevieve M Klug
Department of Pathology, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Brain 132:493-501. 2009..It may prove to be an important insight into the varying incidence rates over periods of time within individual nations and between different countries...
- Cytosolic caspases mediate mislocalised SOD2 depletion in an in vitro model of chronic prion infectionLayla Sinclair
Department of Pathology, Melbourne Brain Centre, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Dis Model Mech 6:952-63. 2013..Eventually, cellular capacity to maintain oxidative homeostasis is overwhelmed, thus resulting in cell death. ..
- Prion subcellular fractionation reveals infectivity spectrum, with a high titre-low PrPres level disparityVictoria Lewis
Department of Pathology, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, VIC 3010, Australia
Mol Neurodegener 7:18. 2012....
- Human transmissible spongiform encephalopathies in eleven countries: diagnostic pattern across time, 1993-2002Jesus de Pedro-Cuesta
Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Centro Nacional de Epidemiologia, Departamento de Epidemiologia Aplicada, Calle Sinesio Delgado 6, 28029, Madrid, Spain
BMC Public Health 6:278. 2006..The objective of this study was to describe the diagnostic panorama of human transmissible spongiform encephalopathies across 11 countries...
- No evidence for prion protein gene locus multiplication in Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseSteven J Collins
Australian National CJD Registry, Department of Pathology, The University of Melbourne, Parkville 3010, Australia
Neurosci Lett 472:16-8. 2010....
- Quinacrine does not prolong survival in a murine Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease modelSteven J Collins
Department of Pathology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Ann Neurol 52:503-6. 2002..Our results failed to show any evidence that quinacrine is effective when using the simple but objective measure of survival prolongation...
- Determinants of diagnostic investigation sensitivities across the clinical spectrum of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseS J Collins
Australian National Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease Registry, Department of Pathology, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Brain 129:2278-87. 2006..Combinations of investigations offer the best chance of detection, especially for the less common molecular sub-types such as MV2 and MM2...
- Extended period of asymptomatic prion disease after low dose inoculation: assessment of detection methods and implications for infection controlSteven J Collins
Australian National Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease Registry, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3010 Victoria, Australia
Neurobiol Dis 20:336-46. 2005..We postulate that infectious titer estimates based on more sensitive detection systems such as we report provide a more accurate indication of ultimate transmission risk...
- Gerstmann-Sträussler-Scheinker syndrome,fatal familial insomnia, and kuru: a review of these less common human transmissible spongiform encephalopathiesS Collins
Australian Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease Registry, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 8:387-97. 2001..Uniform topographical central nervous system histopathology includes spongiform change and neuronal loss, with amyloid (kuru) plaques in approximately 75% of cases...
- Correlative studies support lipid peroxidation is linked to PrP(res) propagation as an early primary pathogenic event in prion diseaseMarcus W Brazier
Department of Pathology, The University of Melbourne, VIC 3010, Australia
Brain Res Bull 68:346-54. 2006....
- Overview and recent advances in neuropathology. Part 2: NeurodegenerationColin L Masters
Mental Health Research Institute, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Australia
Pathology 43:93-102. 2011..The final article on prion diseases gives an overview of human prion diseases, including the phenotypic spectrum, epidemiology and diagnostic investigations relevant to disease...
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease cluster in an Australian rural citySteven Collins
Australian National Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease Registry and Department of Pathology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Ann Neurol 52:115-8. 2002..However, a more conservative statistical analysis suggests that such a grouping could have arisen by chance in at least one population group of this size when the whole country is taken into consideration...
- Characterising the uncommon corticobasal syndrome presentation of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseWill Lee
Department of Neuroscience, The Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 19:81-5. 2013..It may occur in other neurodegenerative disorders including sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD). Current CBD diagnostic criteria outline features of CBS but fail to distinguish CBD from other causative pathologies...