Affiliation: University of Melbourne
- Enhanced geographically restricted surveillance simulates sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease clusterGenevieve M Klug
Department of Pathology, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Brain 132:493-501. 2009..It may prove to be an important insight into the varying incidence rates over periods of time within individual nations and between different countries...
- Prion subcellular fractionation reveals infectivity spectrum, with a high titre-low PrPres level disparityVictoria Lewis
Department of Pathology, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, VIC 3010, Australia
Mol Neurodegener 7:18. 2012....
- Human transmissible spongiform encephalopathies in eleven countries: diagnostic pattern across time, 1993-2002Jesus de Pedro-Cuesta
Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Centro Nacional de Epidemiologia, Departamento de Epidemiologia Aplicada, Calle Sinesio Delgado 6, 28029, Madrid, Spain
BMC Public Health 6:278. 2006..The objective of this study was to describe the diagnostic panorama of human transmissible spongiform encephalopathies across 11 countries...
- Gerstmann-Sträussler-Scheinker syndrome,fatal familial insomnia, and kuru: a review of these less common human transmissible spongiform encephalopathiesS Collins
Australian Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease Registry, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 8:387-97. 2001..Uniform topographical central nervous system histopathology includes spongiform change and neuronal loss, with amyloid (kuru) plaques in approximately 75% of cases...
- No evidence for prion protein gene locus multiplication in Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseSteven J Collins
Australian National CJD Registry, Department of Pathology, The University of Melbourne, Parkville 3010, Australia
Neurosci Lett 472:16-8. 2010....
- Determinants of diagnostic investigation sensitivities across the clinical spectrum of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseS J Collins
Australian National Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease Registry, Department of Pathology, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Brain 129:2278-87. 2006..Combinations of investigations offer the best chance of detection, especially for the less common molecular sub-types such as MV2 and MM2...
- Extended period of asymptomatic prion disease after low dose inoculation: assessment of detection methods and implications for infection controlSteven J Collins
Australian National Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease Registry, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3010 Victoria, Australia
Neurobiol Dis 20:336-46. 2005..We postulate that infectious titer estimates based on more sensitive detection systems such as we report provide a more accurate indication of ultimate transmission risk...
- Transmissible spongiform encephalopathiesSteven J Collins
Australian National Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease Registry, Melbourne, Australia
Lancet 363:51-61. 2004..Since case-to-case transmission is the only known mechanism underlying epidemics of TSE, potential reservoirs of infectivity in the tails of epidemics need continued vigilance...
- Quinacrine does not prolong survival in a murine Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease modelSteven J Collins
Department of Pathology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Ann Neurol 52:503-6. 2002..Our results failed to show any evidence that quinacrine is effective when using the simple but objective measure of survival prolongation...
- Correlative studies support lipid peroxidation is linked to PrP(res) propagation as an early primary pathogenic event in prion diseaseMarcus W Brazier
Department of Pathology, The University of Melbourne, Vic. 3010, Australia
Brain Res Bull 68:346-54. 2006....
- Overview and recent advances in neuropathology. Part 2: NeurodegenerationColin L Masters
Mental Health Research Institute, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Australia
Pathology 43:93-102. 2011..The final article on prion diseases gives an overview of human prion diseases, including the phenotypic spectrum, epidemiology and diagnostic investigations relevant to disease...
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease cluster in an Australian rural citySteven Collins
Australian National Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease Registry and Department of Pathology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Ann Neurol 52:115-8. 2002..However, a more conservative statistical analysis suggests that such a grouping could have arisen by chance in at least one population group of this size when the whole country is taken into consideration...
- Characterising the uncommon corticobasal syndrome presentation of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseWill Lee
Department of Neuroscience, The Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 19:81-5. 2013..It may occur in other neurodegenerative disorders including sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD). Current CBD diagnostic criteria outline features of CBS but fail to distinguish CBD from other causative pathologies...