Vicki L Clifton
Affiliation: University of Adelaide
- Effect of maternal asthma, inhaled glucocorticoids and cigarette use during pregnancy on the newborn insulin-like growth factor axisVicki L Clifton
Department of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Growth Horm IGF Res 20:39-48. 2010..Fetal growth varies in a sex-specific manner in response to maternal asthma during pregnancy, but the mechanisms are unclear...
- A randomized controlled trial to assess the clinical and cost effectiveness of a nurse-led Antenatal Asthma Management Service in South Australia (AAMS study)Luke E Grzeskowiak
The Robinson Institute, The University of Adelaide, Haydown Road, 5112 Adelaide, SA, Australia
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 14:9. 2014..The aim of this randomized controlled trial is to evaluate the clinical and cost effectiveness of an Antenatal Asthma Management Service...
- Developmental perturbation induced by maternal asthma during pregnancy: the short- and long-term impacts on offspringVicki L Clifton
Robinson Institute, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia Robinson Institute, University of Adelaide, Lyell McEwin Hospital, Haydown Road, Elizabeth Vale, SA 5112, Australia
J Pregnancy 2012:741613. 2012..In this paper, we will discuss the evidence currently available that supports the hypothesis that children of mothers with asthma may be at risk of lifelong health complications which include diabetes and hypertension...
- The impact of iodine supplementation and bread fortification on urinary iodine concentrations in a mildly iodine deficient population of pregnant women in South AustraliaVicki L Clifton
University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Nutr J 12:32. 2013..Pregnant women in this region of Australia were unlikely to reach recommended iodine levels without an iodine supplement, even after the mandatory iodine supplementation of bread was instituted in October 2009...
- Review: The feto-placental unit, pregnancy pathology and impact on long term maternal healthV L Clifton
The Robinson Institute, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Adelaide, SA, Australia
Placenta 33:S37-41. 2012..While most pregnancy-induced alterations to the maternal system are reversed following delivery, some can persist after parturition leading to cardiovascular, metabolic and autoimmune disease and increased risk of early mortality...
- Review: Sex and the human placenta: mediating differential strategies of fetal growth and survivalV L Clifton
Robinson Institute, Department of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Medical North, Level 6, Frome Road, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Placenta 31:S33-9. 2010..This review will present evidence supporting this hypothesis and will argue that to ignore the sex of the placenta is no longer sound scientific practice...
- Maternal and neonatal outcomes of pregnancies complicated by asthma in an Australian populationVicki L Clifton
Department of Paediatrics and Reproductive Medicine, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 49:619-26. 2009..To determine if there are sex differences in risk and incidence of stillbirth, preterm delivery and small-for-gestational age (SGA) in pregnancies complicated by maternal asthma relative to a non-asthmatic population...
- Sex-specific associations between cortisol and birth weight in pregnancies complicated by asthma are not due to differential glucocorticoid receptor expressionNicolette A Hodyl
The Robinson Institute, Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Adelaide, Medical School North, Frome Road, Adelaide SA 5005, Australia
Thorax 65:677-83. 2010..It is currently unknown whether expression of the placental glucocorticoid receptor (GR) becomes altered with asthma or the use of inhaled corticosteroids...
- Fetal glucocorticoid-regulated pathways are not affected by inhaled corticosteroid use for asthma during pregnancyNicolette A Hodyl
Robinson Institute, University of Adelaide, South Australia
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:716-22. 2011..Inhaled corticosteroids (ICS) are currently advised for the control of asthma during pregnancy, despite the lack of evidence regarding potential systemic effects on maternal, placental, and fetal systems...
- Improving asthma during pregnancy with dietary antioxidants: the current evidenceJessica A Grieger
Robinson Institute, School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, Adelaide University, Lyell McEwin Hospital, Haydown Road, Elizabeth Vale, SA 5112, Australia
Nutrients 5:3212-34. 2013..Improving asthma control through a holistic antioxidant dietary approach might be valuable in reducing asthma exacerbations and improving asthma management during pregnancy, subsequently impacting perinatal health. ..
- Sex-specific alterations in placental 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 2 activity and early postnatal clinical course following antenatal betamethasoneMichael J Stark
Robinson Institute, Dept of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, Level 6 Medical School North, Univ of Adelaide, SA, Australia 5005
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 297:R510-4. 2009..A lack of adjustment in 11betaHSD2 and adrenal response may contribute to the increased incidence of poor outcome observed in preterm males...
- Circulating antioxidant profile of pregnant women with asthmaPenelope C McLernon
Robinson Institute, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Clin Nutr 31:99-107. 2012....
- Prenatal programming of the innate immune response following in utero exposure to inflammation: a sexually dimorphic process?Nicolette A Hodyl
The Robinson Institute, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 7:579-92. 2011..The potential for this response to exhibit sex specificity is also explored, based on evidence of sexually dimorphic placental responses to maternal inflammation...
- Proteomics in asthmaAnnette Osei Kumah
Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, University of Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 4:713-21. 2008....
- Asthma during pregnancy alters immune cell profile and airway epithelial chemokine releaseAnnette Osei-Kumah
Department of Endocrinology, Mothers and Babies Research Centre, Hunter Medical Research Institute, Locked Bag 1, Hunter Regional Mail Centre, Newcastle, NSW, 2310, Australia
Inflamm Res 59:349-58. 2010..The aim of the present study was to access maternal immune cell profiles in the presence and absence of asthma and to determine the effect of pregnancy-derived factors on epithelial cell function...
- Innate immune dysfunction in the neonatal rat following prenatal endotoxin exposureNicolette A Hodyl
School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide 5005, SA Australia
J Neuroimmunol 204:126-30. 2008....
- Prenatal endotoxin exposure alters behavioural pain responses to lipopolysaccharide in adult offspringNicolette A Hodyl
School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, University of Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Physiol Behav 100:143-7. 2010..These data suggest that prenatal exposure to products associated with bacterial infection have the capacity to alter pain responses, which are evident in the adult offspring...
- Differential effects of docosahexaenoic acid on preterm and term placental pro-oxidant/antioxidant balanceMichael J Stark
The Robinson Institute, University of Adelaide, 77 King William Road, North Adelaide, South Australia 5006, Australia
Reproduction 146:243-51. 2013..This appears to be a result of DHA altering placental antioxidant capacity. These data have implications for the timing and concentration of DHA supplementation in pregnancy...