Affiliation: University of Queensland
- Avoiding costly conservation mistakes: the importance of defining actions and costs in spatial priority settingJosie Carwardine
The Ecology Centre, School of Integrative Biology, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia
PLoS ONE 3:e2586. 2008..This demonstrates inadequate problem specification and may lead to inefficiency: the cost of alternative conservation actions can differ throughout a landscape, and may result in dissimilar conservation priorities...
- Cost-effective priorities for global mammal conservationJosie Carwardine
The Ecology Centre, University of Queensland, QLD 4072, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:11446-50. 2008..We uncover shortfalls in the allocation of conservation funds in many threatened priority areas, highlighting a global conservation challenge...
- Conservation planning when costs are uncertainJosie Carwardine
The Ecology Centre, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD 4072, Australia
Conserv Biol 24:1529-37. 2010....
- Replacing underperforming protected areas achieves better conservation outcomesRichard A Fuller
The Ecology Centre, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland 4072, Australia
Nature 466:365-7. 2010..This new paradigm for protected area system expansion could yield huge improvements to global conservation at a time when competition for land is increasingly intense...
- The effect of carbon credits on savanna land management and priorities for biodiversity conservationLucinda L Douglass
The Australian Government National Environmental Research Program, The Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions and The University of Queensland School of Biological Sciences, St Lucia, Queensland, Australia
PLoS ONE 6:e23843. 2011..Our research illustrates that the duel objective of conserving biodiversity and reducing the release of greenhouse gases offers important opportunities for cost-effective land management investments...
- The capacity of Australia's protected-area system to represent threatened speciesJames E M Watson
The University of Queensland, The Ecology Centre, Queensland 4072, Australia
Conserv Biol 25:324-32. 2011....
- Setting conservation prioritiesKerrie A Wilson
The University of Queensland, School of Integrative Biology, St Lucia, Queensland, Australia
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1162:237-64. 2009..Finally, they suggest ways that current priority-setting approaches may be improved...
- Is conservation triage just smart decision making?Madeleine C Bottrill
The University of Queensland, The Applied Environmental Decision Analysis Centre, The Ecology Centre, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Trends Ecol Evol 23:649-54. 2008..However, triage is no more than the efficient allocation of conservation resources and we risk wasting scarce resources if we do not follow its basic principles...
- Incorporating ecological and evolutionary processes into continental-scale conservation planningCarissa Klein
University of Queensland, Centre for Applied Environmental Decision Analysis, St Lucia, Queensland 4072, Australia
Ecol Appl 19:206-17. 2009..Priority areas for conservation investment are more likely to have long-term benefits to biodiversity if ecological and evolutionary processes are considered in their identification...