Affiliation: University of Newcastle
- Ashton L, Morgan P, Hutchesson M, Rollo M, Young M, Collins C. A systematic review of SNAPO (Smoking, Nutrition, Alcohol, Physical activity and Obesity) randomized controlled trials in young adult men. Prev Med. 2015;81:221-31 pubmed publisher..Despite preliminary evidence of short-term effectiveness of SNAPO interventions in young men, few studies characterized by a high risk of bias were identified. High quality SNAPO interventions for young men are warranted. ..
- Pezdirc K, Hutchesson M, Whitehead R, Ozakinci G, Perrett D, Collins C. Can dietary intake influence perception of and measured appearance? A systematic review. Nutr Res. 2015;35:175-97 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed in representative populations that examine actual food intake on appearance, using validated tools in well-designed high-quality randomized control trials. ..
- Collins C, Burrows T, Rollo M, Boggess M, Watson J, Guest M, et al. The comparative validity and reproducibility of a diet quality index for adults: the Australian Recommended Food Score. Nutrients. 2015;7:785-98 pubmed publisher..37-0.67), and with mineral intakes, particularly calcium, magnesium and potassium (0.32, 95% CI 0.23-0.40). ARFS is a suitable brief tool to evaluate diet quality in adults and reliably estimates a range of nutrient intakes. ..
- Martin J, MacDonald Wicks L, Hure A, Smith R, Collins C. Reducing postpartum weight retention and improving breastfeeding outcomes in overweight women: a pilot randomised controlled trial. Nutrients. 2015;7:1464-79 pubmed publisher..Although underpowered; the results on weight; biomarkers and breastfeeding outcomes indicated improved metabolic health. ..
- Blumfield M, Nowson C, Hure A, Smith R, Simpson S, Raubenheimer D, et al. Lower Protein-to-Carbohydrate Ratio in Maternal Diet is Associated with Higher Childhood Systolic Blood Pressure up to Age Four Years. Nutrients. 2015;7:3078-93 pubmed publisher..There may be an ideal maternal macronutrient ratio associated with optimal infant BP. Maternal diet, which is potentially modifiable, may play an important role in influencing offspring risk of future hypertension. ..
- Taylor R, Smith R, Collins C, Mossman D, Wong Brown M, Chan E, et al. Methyl-Donor and Cofactor Nutrient Intakes in the First 2-3 Years and Global DNA Methylation at Age 4: A Prospective Cohort Study. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..Higher global DNA methylation levels in males warrants further investigation. ..
- Ashton L, Hutchesson M, Rollo M, Morgan P, Thompson D, Collins C. Young adult males' motivators and perceived barriers towards eating healthily and being active: a qualitative study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015;12:93 pubmed publisher..Future research is needed to identify the most effective ways to address their motivators and barriers in intervention research. ..
- Schumacher T, Weatherall L, Keogh L, Sutherland K, Collins C, Pringle K, et al. Characterizing gestational weight gain in a cohort of Indigenous Australian women. Midwifery. 2018;60:13-19 pubmed publisher..a systematic approach to addressing gestational weight gain within antenatal care is required, including asking about diet and exercise, for all women identifying as Indigenous Australian. ..
- Kelly P, Baker A, Deane F, Callister R, Collins C, Oldmeadow C, et al. Study protocol: a stepped wedge cluster randomised controlled trial of a healthy lifestyle intervention for people attending residential substance abuse treatment. BMC Public Health. 2015;15:465 pubmed publisher..If shown to be effective, this intervention can be disseminated within other residential substance abuse programs. Australian and New Zealand Clinical Trials Register (ANZCTR): ACTRN12615000165583. Registered 19(th) February 2015. ..
- Schumacher T, Burrows T, Thompson D, Spratt N, Callister R, Collins C. Feasibility of Recruiting Families into a Heart Disease Prevention Program Based on Dietary Patterns. Nutrients. 2015;7:7042-57 pubmed publisher..Once engaged, families made small incremental improvements in their diets. Evaluation indicated that feedback on diet and CVD risk factors, dietetic counselling and the resources provided were appropriate for a program of this type. ..
- Pursey K, Collins C, Stanwell P, Burrows T. The stability of 'food addiction' as assessed by the Yale Food Addiction Scale in a non-clinical population over 18-months. Appetite. 2016;96:533-538 pubmed publisher..Future research is required to determine the impact of behavioural weight loss interventions on YFAS assessed addictive-like eating. ..
- Pezdirc K, Hutchesson M, Whitehead R, Ozakinci G, Perrett D, Collins C. Fruit, Vegetable and Dietary Carotenoid Intakes Explain Variation in Skin-Color in Young Caucasian Women: A Cross-Sectional Study. Nutrients. 2015;7:5800-15 pubmed publisher..Evaluation of interventions using improvements in appearance as an incentive for increasing fruit and vegetable consumption in young women is warranted. ..
- Burrows T, Hutchesson M, Chai L, Rollo M, Skinner G, Collins C. Nutrition Interventions for Prevention and Management of Childhood Obesity: What Do Parents Want from an eHealth Program?. Nutrients. 2015;7:10469-79 pubmed publisher..The current study supports the need for online delivery of a healthy lifestyle program that targets greater parental concerns of diet rather than child weight. ..
- Barnes A, Plotnikoff R, Collins C, Morgan P. Maternal Correlates of Objectively Measured Physical Activity in Girls. Matern Child Health J. 2015;19:2348-57 pubmed publisher..Experimental studies are warranted, targeting mothers as the primary agents of change to increase physical activity among girls. ..
- Aguiar E, Morgan P, Collins C, Plotnikoff R, Callister R. Characteristics of men classified at high-risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus using the AUSDRISK screening tool. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2015;108:45-54 pubmed publisher..These findings provide evidence supporting the usefulness of the AUSDRISK screening tool for T2DM screening in clinical and research settings. ..
- Morgan P, Jones R, Collins C, Hesketh K, Young M, Burrows T, et al. Practicalities and Research Considerations for Conducting Childhood Obesity Prevention Interventions with Families. Children (Basel). 2016;3: pubmed..Case studies of three family-based interventions conducted by ACAORN members are highlighted to provide examples and contextualise the recommendations proposed. ..
- Collins C, Burrows T, Truby H, Morgan P, Wright I, Davies P, et al. Comparison of energy intake in toddlers assessed by food frequency questionnaire and total energy expenditure measured by the doubly labeled water method. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013;113:459-63 pubmed publisher..Choice of method is likely to depend on practical issues, including cost and burden. ..
- Yang W, Burrows T, MacDonald Wicks L, Williams L, Collins C, Chee W. Parent-child feeding practices in a developing country: Findings from the Family Diet Study. Appetite. 2018;125:90-97 pubmed publisher..Further research examining the cultural context of family environmental factors related to childhood obesity is warranted within Malaysia. ..
- Ashton L, Pezdirc K, Hutchesson M, Rollo M, Collins C. Is Skin Coloration Measured by Reflectance Spectroscopy Related to Intake of Nutrient-Dense Foods? A Cross-Sectional Evaluation in Australian Young Adults. Nutrients. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..Results suggest that measurement of skin coloration by reflectance spectroscopy can be used as an indicator of overall dietary quality and variety in young adults. Further exploration in diverse populations is required. ..
- Jensen M, Gibson P, Collins C, Hilton J, Wood L. Lifestyle Risk Factors for Weight Gain in Children with and without Asthma. Children (Basel). 2017;4: pubmed publisher..Observed associations between diet quality, sedentary behavior, and metabolic and sleep-related outcomes warrant further investigation, particularly the long-term health implications. ..
- Yang W, Burrows T, MacDonald Wicks L, Williams L, Collins C, Chee W, et al. Body Weight Status and Dietary Intakes of Urban Malay Primary School Children: Evidence from the Family Diet Study. Children (Basel). 2017;4: pubmed publisher..53, p < 0.001) after excluding energy intake mis-reporters (n = 95), highlighting the need for the validation of dietary assessment in obesity-related dietary research in Malaysia. ..
- Potter J, Brown L, Williams R, Byles J, Collins C. Diet Quality and Cancer Outcomes in Adults: A Systematic Review of Epidemiological Studies. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..Development of a cancer-specific diet quality score for application in prospective epidemiology and in public health is warranted. ..
- Schumacher T, Burrows T, Rollo M, Spratt N, Callister R, Collins C. Effectiveness of a Brief Dietetic Intervention for Hyperlipidaemic Adults Using Individually-Tailored Dietary Feedback. Healthcare (Basel). 2016;4: pubmed..4 kg/m2) were achieved. A brief intervention by an APD incorporating targeted, personalised dietary feedback and education in a single counselling session can improve lipid profiles in adults with hyperlipidaemia. ..
- Burrows T, Rollo M, Williams R, Wood L, Garg M, Jensen M, et al. A Systematic Review of Technology-Based Dietary Intake Assessment Validation Studies That Include Carotenoid Biomarkers. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Findings were positive with these dietary assessment measures showing mostly moderate associations with carotenoid biomarkers. ..
- Ashton L, Morgan P, Hutchesson M, Rollo M, Collins C. Feasibility and preliminary efficacy of the 'HEYMAN' healthy lifestyle program for young men: a pilot randomised controlled trial. Nutr J. 2017;16:2 pubmed publisher..This provides support for the conduct of a larger, fully-powered RCT, but with minor amendments to research procedures and intervention components required. Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry ACTRN12616000350426 . ..
- Brain K, Burrows T, Rollo M, Hayes C, Hodson F, Collins C. Population Characteristics in a Tertiary Pain Service Cohort Experiencing Chronic Non-Cancer Pain: Weight Status, Comorbidities, and Patient Goals. Healthcare (Basel). 2017;5: pubmed publisher..This will help to optimize dietary behaviors and establish nutrition as an important component of multidisciplinary chronic pain management. ..
- Schumacher T, Burrows T, Cliff D, Jones R, Okely A, Baur L, et al. Dietary Intake Is Related to Multifactor Cardiovascular Risk Score in Obese Boys. Healthcare (Basel). 2014;2:282-98 pubmed publisher..This multifactor CVD risk score could be a useful tool for researchers to identify elevated risk in children. Further research is warranted to examine sex-specific dietary factors related to CVD risk in children. ..
- Whatnall M, Collins C, Callister R, Hutchesson M. Associations between Unhealthy Diet and Lifestyle Behaviours and Increased Cardiovascular Disease Risk in Young Overweight and Obese Women. Healthcare (Basel). 2016;4: pubmed publisher..Insufficient physical activity was the primary lifestyle factor associated with increased CVD risk markers, which suggests interventions targeting physical activity in young women may potentially improve cardiovascular health. ..
- Schumacher T, Burrows T, Thompson D, Callister R, Spratt N, Collins C. The Role of Family in a Dietary Risk Reduction Intervention for Cardiovascular Disease. Healthcare (Basel). 2016;4: pubmed..This could involve identifying and accessing the family "ringleader" to influence involvement and capitalising on personal accountability to other family members. ..
- Barnes A, Young M, Murtagh E, Collins C, Plotnikoff R, Morgan P. Effectiveness of mother and daughter interventions targeting physical activity, fitness, nutrition and adiposity: A systematic review. Prev Med. 2018;111:55-66 pubmed publisher..The diversity of study designs, exposures and outcomes used, along with methodological weaknesses means that well-designed and reported RCTs are warranted. ..
- Snodgrass S, Guest M, Kable A, James C, Ashby S, Plotnikoff R, et al. Weight Management Advice for Clients with Overweight or Obesity: Allied Health Professional Survey. Healthcare (Basel). 2016;4: pubmed..Developing guidelines and training for in client weight management may potentially impact on rising obesity levels. ..
- Vincze L, Rollo M, Hutchesson M, Burrows T, MacDonald Wicks L, Blumfield M, et al. A cross sectional study investigating weight management motivations, methods and perceived healthy eating and physical activity influences in women up to five years following childbirth. Midwifery. 2017;49:124-133 pubmed publisher
- Collins C, Morgan P, Jones P, Fletcher K, Martin J, Aguiar E, et al. Evaluation of a commercial web-based weight loss and weight loss maintenance program in overweight and obese adults: a randomized controlled trial. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:669 pubmed publisher..Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry (ANZCTR) number: ACTRN12610000197033. ..
- Lee Y, Collins C, Gordon A, Rae K, Pringle K. The Relationship between Maternal Nutrition during Pregnancy and Offspring Kidney Structure and Function in Humans: A Systematic Review. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..Additional experimental and longitudinal prospective studies are warranted to confirm this relationship, especially in Indigenous populations where the risk of renal disease is greater. ..
- Duncanson K, Burrows T, Collins C. Child Feeding and Parenting Style Outcomes and Composite Score Measurement in the 'Feeding Healthy Food to Kids Randomised Controlled Trial'. Children (Basel). 2016;3: pubmed
- Vincze L, Rollo M, Hutchesson M, Callister R, Thompson D, Collins C. Postpartum Women's Perspectives of Engaging with a Dietitian and Exercise Physiologist via Video Consultations for Weight Management: A Qualitative Evaluation. Healthcare (Basel). 2018;6: pubmed publisher..Tailored advice from a dietitian and exercise physiologist received via video consultations is acceptable for postpartum women and offers a viable alternative to in-person care. ..
- Ashman A, Collins C, Brown L, Rae K, Rollo M. Validation of a Smartphone Image-Based Dietary Assessment Method for Pregnant Women. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..05) supplements in the analysis. Bland-Altman plots confirmed acceptable agreement with no systematic bias. The DietBytes method demonstrated acceptable relative validity for assessment of nutrient intakes of pregnant women. ..
- Taylor R, Fealy S, Bisquera A, Smith R, Collins C, Evans T, et al. Effects of Nutritional Interventions during Pregnancy on Infant and Child Cognitive Outcomes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..The remaining eight cognition domains were not significantly impacted by maternal nutritional interventions. ..
- Collins C, Morgan P, Hutchesson M, Oldmeadow C, Barker D, Callister R. Efficacy of Web-Based Weight Loss Maintenance Programs: A Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Standard Features Versus the Addition of Enhanced Personalized Feedback over 12 Months. Behav Sci (Basel). 2017;7: pubmed publisher..Given the potential reach of web-based approaches, further research examining which web-based program components optimize weight outcomes long-term is required. ..
- Ball R, Duncanson K, Burrows T, Collins C. Experiences of Parent Peer Nutrition Educators Sharing Child Feeding and Nutrition Information. Children (Basel). 2017;4: pubmed publisher..Further research may determine the impact on diet quality and the food-related behaviours of babies and young children on a population level. ..
- Ashton L, Williams R, Wood L, Schumacher T, Burrows T, Rollo M, et al. Comparison of Australian Recommended Food Score (ARFS) and Plasma Carotenoid Concentrations: A Validation Study in Adults. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..05). The weak associations highlight the issues with self-reporting dietary intakes in overweight and obese populations. Further research is required to evaluate the use of the ARFS in more diverse populations. ..
- Williams R, Rollo M, Schumacher T, Collins C. Diet Quality Scores of Australian Adults Who Have Completed the Healthy Eating Quiz. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..001). While the Healthy Eating Quiz data indicates that individuals receiving feedback on how to improve their score can improve their diet quality, there is a need for further nutrition promotion interventions in Australian adults. ..
- Bucher T, Hartmann C, Rollo M, Collins C. What Is Nutritious Snack Food? A Comparison of Expert and Layperson Assessments. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..The results highlight the need for an agreed definition and the potential regulation of the term "nutritious" in food marketing. ..
- Van der Bend D, Bucher T, Schumacher T, Collins K, De Vlieger N, Rollo M, et al. Trends in Food and Beverage Portion Sizes in Australian Children; a Time-Series Analysis Comparing 2007 and 2011-2012 National Data. Children (Basel). 2017;4: pubmed publisher..These findings suggest approaches to increasing consumption of nutrient-dense core foods and reducing energy-dense, nutrient-poor food items in children are warranted. ..