Ashley I Bush
Affiliation: University of Melbourne
- Li X, Lei P, Tuo Q, Ayton S, Li Q, Moon S, et al. Enduring Elevations of Hippocampal Amyloid Precursor Protein and Iron Are Features of Î²-Amyloid Toxicity and Are Mediated by Tau. Neurotherapeutics. 2015;12:862-73 pubmed publisher..While the results from our study support the amyloid cascade hypothesis, they also suggest that downstream effectors of AÎ², which propagate toxicity after AÎ² has been cleared, may be tractable therapeutic targets. ..
- Lei P, Ayton S, Moon S, Zhang Q, Volitakis I, Finkelstein D, et al. Motor and cognitive deficits in aged tau knockout mice in two background strains. Mol Neurodegener. 2014;9:29 pubmed publisher..Therefore excessive lowering of tau should be avoided in therapeutic strategies for AD. ..
- Ayton S, Lei P, Hare D, Duce J, George J, Adlard P, et al. Parkinson's disease iron deposition caused by nitric oxide-induced loss of Î²-amyloid precursor protein. J Neurosci. 2015;35:3591-7 pubmed publisher..Conversely, APP-overexpressing mice are protected in the MPTP PD model. NO suppresses APP translation in mouse MPTP models, explaining how elevated NO causes iron-dependent neurodegeneration in PD. ..
- Belaidi A, Bush A. Iron neurochemistry in Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease: targets for therapeutics. J Neurochem. 2016;139 Suppl 1:179-197 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss the current knowledge on brain iron homeostasis and its involvement in major aging-related neurodegenerative diseases. This article is part of a special issue on Parkinson disease. ..
- Hung Y, Walterfang M, Churilov L, Bray L, Jacobson L, Barnham K, et al. Neurological Dysfunction in Early Maturity of a Model for Niemann-Pick C1 Carrier Status. Neurotherapeutics. 2016;13:614-22 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that pathogenic NPC1 allele carriers, who represent about 0.66Â % of humans, could be vulnerable to motor and anxiety disorders. ..
- Ayton S, James S, Bush A. Nanoscale Imaging Reveals Big Role for Iron in Alzheimer's Disease. Cell Chem Biol. 2017;24:1192-1194 pubmed publisher..The characterization of abnormal iron chemistry in the disease model highlights the potential for iron to combine with the ?-amyloid peptide and accelerate the disease process...