John R Burgess
Affiliation: University of Tasmania
- Omega-3 fatty acid status in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderCaryl J Antalis
Department of Foods and Nutrition, West Lafayette IN 47909 2059, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 75:299-308. 2006....
- EndocrinologyJohn R Burgess
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Royal Hobart Hospital, Hobart, TAS
Med J Aust 176:12. 2002
- Temporal trends for thyroid carcinoma in Australia: an increasing incidence of papillary thyroid carcinoma (1982-1997)John R Burgess
Department of Endocrinology, Royal Hobart Hospital, Tasmania
Thyroid 12:141-9. 2002..These findings are consistent with a true increase in underlying PTC incidence rates. A link between current incidence trends and past iodine deficiency/radioiodine exposure during the 1950s and early 1960s is possible...
- A case for universal salt iodisation to correct iodine deficiency in pregnancy: another salutary lesson from TasmaniaJohn R Burgess
Royal Hobart Hospital, Hobart, TAS
Med J Aust 186:574-6. 2007..To assess the impact of iodine fortification of bread on the iodine status of pregnant women, and to determine if studies of iodine levels in school-age children were indicative of women's gestational iodine status...
- Temporal trends and clinical correlates for the ret/PTC1 mutation in papillary thyroid carcinomaJohn R Burgess
Department of Diabetes and Endocrine Services, Royal Hobart Hospital, GPO Box 1061L, Hobart, Tasmania 7001, Australia
ANZ J Surg 73:31-5. 2003..In the present study it was sought to determine if PTC incidence trends were associated with an increased occurrence of the ret/PTC1 rearrangement...
- Incidence trends for papillary thyroid carcinoma and their correlation with thyroid surgery and thyroid fine-needle aspirate cytologyJohn R Burgess
Department of Endocrinology, Royal Hobart Hospital, University of Tasmania, Tasmania
Thyroid 16:47-53. 2006..The reported incidence of PTC has more than doubled in many countries during the past half century. In Tasmania, an island state of the Commonwealth of Australia the incidence has increased by 24.7% per annum during the last two decades...
- Improved iodine status in Tasmanian schoolchildren after fortification of bread: a recipe for national successKate M Depaoli
Population Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Hobart, TAS, Australia
Med J Aust 198:492-4. 2013..To examine population iodine status in Tasmania after mandatory iodine fortification of bread and assess the magnitude of difference compared with results from a period of voluntary iodine fortification...
- Iodine status of Tasmanians following voluntary fortification of bread with iodineJudy A Seal
Public and Environmental Health Service, Department of Health and Human Services, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Med J Aust 186:69-71. 2007..To describe changes in the iodine status of Tasmanians following voluntary fortification of bread with iodine in October 2001...
- The influence of gestational stage on urinary iodine excretion in pregnancyGeorgina Stilwell
Department of Diabetes and Endocrine Services, Royal Hobart Hospital, Uniuversity of Tasmania, Hobart 7001, Tasmania, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:1737-42. 2008..Physiological alterations in normal pregnancy, such as increased glomerular filtration rate, potentially invalidate UIC as an assessment tool in pregnancy...
- Persistent iodine deficiency in a cohort of Tasmanian school children: associations with socio-economic status, geographical location and dietary factorsKristen L Hynes
Menzies Research Institute, University of Tasmania
Aust N Z J Public Health 28:476-81. 2004..To determine the adequacy of iodine nutrition of Tasmanian primary school-aged children and to examine possible associations with socio-economic status (SES), location and dietary factors...
- Moderate vitamin D deficiency is associated with changes in knee and hip pain in older adults: a 5-year longitudinal studyLaura L Laslett
Menzies Research Institute Tasmania, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Ann Rheum Dis 73:697-703. 2014..Vitamin D is important for bone, cartilage and muscle function but there are few studies on its association with joint pain...
- Mild iodine deficiency during pregnancy is associated with reduced educational outcomes in the offspring: 9-year follow-up of the gestational iodine cohortKristen L Hynes
Menzies Research Institute Tasmania, University of Tasmania, Sandy Bay, Tasmania 7005, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:1954-62. 2013..Severe iodine deficiency (ID) during gestation is associated with neurocognitive sequelae. The long-term impact of mild ID, however, has not been well characterized...
- Recurrent iodine deficiency in Tasmania, Australia: a salutary lesson in sustainable iodine prophylaxis and its monitoringKamala Guttikonda
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Westmead Hospital, New South Wales, Australia 2145
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:2809-15. 2002..Our findings also emphasize the importance of accurate reference data for assessment thyroid volume...