Affiliation: University of Melbourne
- A randomised, controlled trial of a dietary intervention for adults with major depression (the "SMILES" trial): study protocolAdrienne O'Neil
IMPACT Strategic Research Centre, Deakin University, Deakin, Vic, Australia
BMC Psychiatry 13:114. 2013..Using a randomised controlled trial design, we aim to investigate the efficacy and cost-efficacy of a dietary program for the treatment of Major Depressive Episodes (MDE)...
- Diet spanning infancy and toddlerhood is associated with child blood pressure at age 7.5 yLaima Brazionis
Department of Medicine, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 97:1375-86. 2013..Diet in the first 2 y of life may be a pivotal period regarding effects on future blood pressure (BP). However, data on early-life diet and BP in childhood are sparse...
- Dietary patterns of infants and toddlers are associated with nutrient intakesLisa G Smithers
Discipline of Public Health, School of Population Health, University of Adelaide, Adelaide 5005, South Australia, Australia
Nutrients 4:935-48. 2012..These findings highlight that dietary patterns in infants and toddlers vary in their underlying energy and nutrient composition...
- Plasma carotenoids and diabetic retinopathyLaima Brazionis
Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne St Vincent s Hospital, Melbourne, VIC 3065, Australia
Br J Nutr 101:270-7. 2009..Importantly, our observations indicate dietary modulation of retinopathy risk may be possible by increasing intakes of lutein- and lycopene-rich foods...
- Characterization of transition diets spanning infancy and toddlerhood: a novel, multiple-time-point application of principal components analysisLaima Brazionis
Discipline of Public Health, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 95:1200-8. 2012..The transition dietary period, a dynamic period of rapid dietary change spanning infancy and toddlerhood when children shift from a milk-based to a food-based diet, has not been characterized...
- Dietary patterns at 6, 15 and 24 months of age are associated with IQ at 8 years of ageLisa G Smithers
Discipline of Public Health, University of Adelaide, Mail drop DX650550, Adelaide, 5005, Australia
Eur J Epidemiol 27:525-35. 2012..Propensity score analyses were consistent with regression analyses. This study suggests that dietary patterns from 6 to 24 months may have a small but persistent effect on IQ at 8 years...
- Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 activity in type 2 diabetes: a different relationship with coronary heart disease and diabetic retinopathyLaima Brazionis
Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, St Vincent s Hospital, 29 Regent St, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:786-91. 2008..The purpose of this study was to assess the relationship between PAI-1 activity and both retinopathy and CHD in type 2 diabetes...
- Homocysteine and diabetic retinopathyLaima Brazionis
Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, St Vincent s Hospital, P O Box 2900, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia
Diabetes Care 31:50-6. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the relationship between plasma total homocysteine concentration and diabetic retinopathy...
- Metabolic health, obesity and 9-year incidence of peripheral arterial disease: the D.E.S.I.R. studyMichael R Skilton
Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Atherosclerosis 216:471-6. 2011....
- Telemedicine and ocular health in diabetes mellitusSven Erik Bursell
The University of Melbourne, Department of Medicine, St Vincent s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Clin Exp Optom 95:311-27. 2012..Taken together, this system will deliver contextually and temporally relevant decision support to patients to facilitate their well-being and to reduce the risk of diabetic complications...
- Characterizing whole diets of young children from developed countries and the association between diet and health: a systematic reviewLisa G Smithers
Discipline of Public Health, University of Adelaide, Australia
Nutr Rev 69:449-67. 2011..Few studies have characterized the diets of children under 5 years of age and linked diet with health. Given the limited evidence, research establishing the predictive validity of whole-of-diet methods in childhood is needed...
- Dietary patterns and cardiovascular mortality in the Melbourne Collaborative Cohort StudyLinton R Harriss
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 86:221-9. 2007..Despite increased cardiovascular disease risk factors, migrants to Australia from Mediterranean countries have lower mortality than do native-born Australians. Dietary patterns may contribute to this...