P S Bolton
Affiliation: University of Newcastle
- Contrasting alterations to synaptic and intrinsic properties in upper-cervical superficial dorsal horn neurons following acute neck muscle inflammationBelinda M Harris
School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy, Faculty of Health and Medicine, The University of Newcastle and Hunter Medical Research Institute, Room 411 Medical Sciences Building, University Drive, Newcastle, NSW 2308, Australia
Mol Pain 10:25. 2014..Accordingly, we developed a mouse model of acute cervical muscle inflammation and assessed the functional properties of superficial dorsal horn (SDH) neurons...
- Neck proprioceptors contribute to the modulation of muscle sympathetic nerve activity to the lower limbs of humansP S Bolton
School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW, 2308, Australia
Exp Brain Res 232:2263-71. 2014....
- Visceral responses to spinal manipulationPhilip S Bolton
School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, Callaghan NSW 2308, Australia
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 22:777-84. 2012..Thus, while the literature confirms that mechanical stimulation of the spine modulates some organ functions in some cohorts, a comprehensive neurobiological rationale for this general phenomenon has yet to appear...
- Neck afferent involvement in cardiovascular control during movementP S Bolton
Discipline of Human Physiology, School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales, Australia
Brain Res Bull 53:45-9. 2000..This paper briefly reviews the current experimental evidence concerning the involvement of neck afferent information in the modulation of cardiovascular control during movement and changes in posture...
- Absence of short-term vestibular modulation of muscle sympathetic outflow, assessed by brief galvanic vestibular stimulation in awake human subjectsPhilip S Bolton
School of Biomedical Science, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, NSW 2287, Callaghan, Australia
Exp Brain Res 154:39-43. 2004..Conversely, phasic vestibular inputs do excite cutaneous sympathetic neurones, consistent with the observation that motion sickness is accompanied by pallor and sweating...
- Spinal manipulation and spinal mobilization influence different axial sensory bedsPhilip S Bolton
School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, University Drive, Callaghan, NSW 2308, Australia
Med Hypotheses 66:258-62. 2006..In part, our rationale for this hypothesis is based on differences in mechanical advantage of the respective manual procedures on multi-segmental versus short intervertebral muscles...
- Influence of innocuous cervical vertebral movement on the efferent innervation of the adrenal gland in the ratP Bolton
School of Biomedical Science, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW, 2308, Australia Hunter Medical Research Institute, New Lambton, NSW, Australia
Auton Neurosci 124:103-11. 2006..Our data suggest that although noxious stimuli may modulate sympathetic outflow, it is rare for afferents signalling innocuous cervical vertebral movements to modulate sympathetic nerves innervating the adrenal gland...
- An in vivo method for studying afferent fibre activity from cervical paravertebral tissue during vertebral motion in anaesthetised catsP S Bolton
Neuroscience Group, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, N S W, Australia
J Neurosci Methods 85:211-8. 1998..Furthermore, it will allow investigation of their role in the control of somatic and autonomic reflex behaviour...
- A descriptive study of the force and displacement profiles of the toggle-recoil spinal manipulative procedure (adjustment) as performed by chiropractorsB A Graham
School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW, Australia
Man Ther 15:74-9. 2010..Furthermore, different practitioners may vary in their force by as much 100% and in displacement by 50% when the toggle-recoil spinal manipulative procedure is performed...
- Pre-manipulative testing and the use of the velocimeterLucy C Thomas
Discipline of Physiotherapy, School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Health, The University of Newcastle, University Drive, Callaghan, NSW 2308, Australia
Man Ther 13:29-36. 2008..However, the sensitivity, specificity and reliability of the use of the velocimeter in identifying abnormal vascular flow in the vertebral arteries, and therefore its clinical utility, has not yet been fully established...
- Modulation of muscle sympathetic bursts by sinusoidal galvanic vestibular stimulation in human subjectsLeah R Bent
Department of Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada
Exp Brain Res 174:701-11. 2006..This demonstrates that the human vestibular apparatus exerts a potent facilitatory influence on MSNA that potentially operates independently of the baroreceptor system...
- Cerebrospinal fluid pressure in the anesthetized ratBrian S Budgell
School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 30:351-6. 2007....
- Minimum standards for cervical manipulation are in the public interest. (Comment on Refshauge et al, Australian Journal of Physiotherapy 48: 171-179)Philip S Bolton
Aust J Physiother 48:313. 2002
- Measurement of the vertebral canal dimensions of the neck of the rat with a comparison to the humanJamie R Flynn
School of Biomedical Science, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW, Australia
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 290:893-9. 2007..These may be associated with differences in the morphology of the spinal cord or postural differences such as the cervicothoracic lordosis in bipeds compared with that in quadrupeds...