Affiliation: University of Melbourne
- Inactive and alone: physical activity within the first 14 days of acute stroke unit careJulie Bernhardt
National Stroke Research Institute, Austin Health, Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
Stroke 35:1005-9. 2004..The purpose of this study was to determine the physical activity patterns of stroke patients managed within acute stroke units as a first step in developing an early mobilization protocol...
- Little therapy, little physical activity: rehabilitation within the first 14 days of organized stroke unit careJulie Bernhardt
National Stroke Research Institute, Austin Health, Heidelberg, Australia
J Rehabil Med 39:43-8. 2007..To examine rehabilitation interventions and resulting physical activity patterns of patients managed in acute stroke units to help inform development of a randomized controlled trial of very early rehabilitation...
- Training novice clinicians improves observation accuracy of the upper extremity after strokeJ Bernhardt
National Stroke Research Institute, Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, Heidelberg West, Victoria, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 82:1611-8. 2001..To determine whether training influenced the accuracy of observational kinematic assessment (OKA) of hemiplegic upper extremity impairment and to elucidate the contribution of knowledge of results to learning...
- A very early rehabilitation trial for stroke (AVERT): phase II safety and feasibilityJulie Bernhardt
National Stroke Research Institute, Level 1, Neurosciences Building, Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, 300 Waterdale Rd, Heidelberg, 3081 Victoria, Australia
Stroke 39:390-6. 2008..Very early rehabilitation, with an emphasis on mobilization, may contribute to improved outcomes after stroke. We hypothesized that a very early rehabilitation protocol would be safe and feasible...
- Hemispatial neglect and rehabilitation in acute strokeToby B Cumming
National Stroke Research Institute, 300 Waterdale Rd, Heidelberg Heights, Victoria 3081, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 90:1931-6. 2009....
- The modified Rankin Scale in acute stroke has good inter-rater-reliability but questionable validityHenry Zhao
School of Medicine, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Cerebrovasc Dis 29:188-93. 2010..We prospectively studied the interrater reliability of the mRS in acutely hospitalised stroke patients and examined the effect of prior experience with the scale and use of a decision tool on the interrater agreement of trained raters...
- The NIH stroke scale can establish cognitive function after strokeToby B Cumming
National Stroke Research Institute, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Cerebrovasc Dis 30:7-14. 2010..Cognitive impairment is an important but underrecognised consequence of stroke. We investigated whether a subset of items from the NIH Stroke Scale (NIHSS) could yield valid information on cognitive status in a group of stroke patients...
- A Very Early Rehabilitation Trial (AVERT)Julie Bernhardt
National Stroke Research Institute, Level 1, Neurosciences Building, Austin Health, Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, 300 Waterdale Road, Heidelberg Heights, 3081 Vic, Australia
Int J Stroke 1:169-71. 2006
- Very early mobilization after stroke fast-tracks return to walking: further results from the phase II AVERT randomized controlled trialToby B Cumming
Florey Neuroscience Institute, Australia
Stroke 42:153-8. 2011..We hypothesized that introducing earlier and more intensive out-of-bed activity after stroke would reduce time to unassisted walking and improve independence in activities of daily living...
- The montreal cognitive assessment: short cognitive evaluation in a large stroke trialToby B Cumming
National Stroke Research Institute, Florey Neuroscience Institutes, Melbourne, Australia
Stroke 42:2642-4. 2011..Cognitive function is often ignored in stroke research trials. The brief Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) may be sensitive to stroke-related cognitive deficits...
- Not all stroke units are the same: a comparison of physical activity patterns in Melbourne, Australia, and Trondheim, NorwayJulie Bernhardt
National Stroke Research Institute, Level 1, Neurosciences Building, Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, 300 Waterdale Road, Heidelberg, 3081 Victoria, Australia
Stroke 39:2059-65. 2008....
- The effect of very early mobilisation after stroke on psychological well-beingToby B Cumming
Neurosciences Building, Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, 300Waterdale Rd, Heidelberg Heights, Victoria 3081, Australia
J Rehabil Med 40:609-14. 2008..The immobility common to patients after acute stroke has the potential to increase negative mood symptoms. We evaluated the effect of very early mobilization after stroke on levels of depression, anxiety and irritability...
- Bed rest or mobilization after rt-PA? A case-crossover study of factors influencing clinical decision making in stroke servicesJason Ha
Florey Neuroscience Institutes, Austin Campus, Heidelberg, Vic, Australia
Int J Stroke 8:172-9. 2013..Treatment with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator is standard care in Australia, but there are no evidence-based practice guidelines about first out of bed activity (mobilization) after recombinant tissue plasminogen activator...
- Stepping towards prevention of bone loss after stroke: a systematic review of the skeletal effects of physical activity after strokeKaren Borschmann
Melbourne Brain Centre, Florey Neuroscience Institutes, Heidelberg, Vic, Australia
Int J Stroke 7:330-5. 2012..Interventions are likely to be beneficial if implemented soon after stroke, when bone loss appears to be rapid and pronounced...
- Strapping the hemiplegic shoulder prevents development of pain during rehabilitation: a randomized controlled trialAmy Griffin
Cedar Court Rehabilitation Hospital and Broadmeadows Health Service, Broadmeadows, Victoria, Australia
Clin Rehabil 20:287-95. 2006..To determine whether strapping (therapeutic or placebo) the 'at risk' shoulder prevented or delayed development of hemiplegic shoulder pain better than standard care...
- More options and better job security required in career paths of physiotherapist researchers: an observational studyJulie Bernhardt
National Stroke Research Institute, University of Melbourne, Heidelberg Heights, VIC 3081, Australia
Aust J Physiother 54:135-40. 2008..What career paths have physiotherapist researchers taken? What should career paths for physiotherapist researchers look like?..
- Acute stroke patients--early hospital managementHelen M Dewey
Inpatient Stroke Services, Austin Health, Melbourne, Victoria
Aust Fam Physician 36:904-12. 2007..Patients with acute stroke have improved outcomes when managed in a stroke unit providing multidisciplinary care, including early rehabilitation...
- Motor impairment and recovery in the upper limb after stroke: behavioral and neuroanatomical correlatesLeeanne M Carey
National Stroke Research Institute, Austin Health, Level 2, Neurosciences Building, Banksia St, Heidelberg West, Victoria, Australia 3081
Stroke 36:625-9. 2005..We therefore aimed to characterize the relationship between motor impairment, motor recovery, and task-related changes in regional cerebral blood flow (DeltarCBF) longitudinally...
- Evolution of brain activation with good and poor motor recovery after strokeLeeanne M Carey
National Stroke Research Institute, Austin Health, Heidelberg West, Victoria, Australia, LaTrobe University, Bundoora, Victoria, Australia
Neurorehabil Neural Repair 20:24-41. 2006..To characterize the evolution of brain activation in stroke patients with variable motor recovery and quantify changes relative to healthy controls...
- Australian Clinical Guidelines for Acute Stroke Management 2007Kelvin Hill
National Stroke Foundation, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Int J Stroke 3:120-9. 2008
- Mobilisation 'in bed' is not mobilisationJulie Bernhardt
Cerebrovasc Dis 24:157-8; author reply 159. 2007
- Commentary on Arias M & Smith L (2007) Early mobilization of acute stroke patients. Journal of Clinical Nursing 16, 282-288Fiona Ellery
Neuroscience Trials Australia, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
J Clin Nurs 17:1957-8; discussion 1958. 2008