A R Bauskin
Affiliation: University of New South Wales
- GDF15/MIC-1 functions as a protective and antihypertrophic factor released from the myocardium in association with SMAD protein activationJian Xu
Department of Pediatrics, University of Cincinnati, Division of Molecular Cardiovascular Biology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Circ Res 98:342-50. 2006..These results identify GDF15 as a novel autocrine/endocrine factor that antagonizes the hypertrophic response and loss of ventricular performance, possibly through a mechanism involving SMAD proteins...
- Tumor-induced anorexia and weight loss are mediated by the TGF-beta superfamily cytokine MIC-1Heiko Johnen
Centre for Immunology, St Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia
Nat Med 13:1333-40. 2007..Thus, MIC-1 is a newly defined central regulator of appetite and a potential target for the treatment of both cancer anorexia and weight loss, as well as of obesity...
- The TGF-beta superfamily cytokine MIC-1/GDF15: secretory mechanisms facilitate creation of latent stromal storesAsne R Bauskin
St Vincent s Centre for Applied Medical Research, St Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Interferon Cytokine Res 30:389-97. 2010....
- The propeptide of macrophage inhibitory cytokine (MIC-1), a TGF-beta superfamily member, acts as a quality control determinant for correctly folded MIC-1A R Bauskin
Centre for Immunology, St Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
EMBO J 19:2212-20. 2000..This is the first demonstration, to our knowledge, of a quality control function in a propeptide domain of a secretory protein and represents an additional mechanism to ensure correct folding of proteins leaving the ER...
- Role of macrophage inhibitory cytokine-1 in tumorigenesis and diagnosis of cancerAsne R Bauskin
Centre for Immunology, St Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Cancer Res 66:4983-6. 2006....
- The propeptide mediates formation of stromal stores of PROMIC-1: role in determining prostate cancer outcomeAsne R Bauskin
Centre for Immunology, St Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Australia
Cancer Res 65:2330-6. 2005..The secretion and ECM association of unprocessed proMIC-1 is likely to play a central role in modulating local bioavailability of MIC-1 which can affect patient outcome in prostate cancer and other epithelial tumors...
- The propeptide of the transforming growth factor-beta superfamily member, macrophage inhibitory cytokine-1 (MIC-1), is a multifunctional domain that can facilitate protein folding and secretionW D Fairlie
Centre for Immunology, Saint Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Victoria Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia
J Biol Chem 276:16911-8. 2001..Cotransfection experiments demonstrated that the propeptide must be in cis with the mature peptide for this phenomenon to occur. These results suggest a model for TGF-beta superfamily protein folding...
- Epitope mapping of the transforming growth factor-beta superfamily protein, macrophage inhibitory cytokine-1 (MIC-1): identification of at least five distinct epitope specificitiesW D Fairlie
Centre for Immunology, St Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Victoria St, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 2010
Biochemistry 40:65-73. 2001..Finally, the use of another mutant in which Cys 77 was replaced by serine enabled confirmation of the location of the MIC-1 interchain disulfide bond...
- The transforming growth factor-ss superfamily cytokine macrophage inhibitory cytokine-1 is present in high concentrations in the serum of pregnant womenA G Moore
Centre for Immunology, St Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:4781-8. 2000..We suggest that MIC-1 may promote fetal survival by suppressing the production of maternally derived proinflammatory cytokines within the uterus...
- Antibody-based approach to high-volume genotyping for MIC-1 polymorphismD A Brown
St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Biotechniques 33:118-20, 122, 124 passim. 2002..This novel antibody-based assay confidently determines the genotype of MIC-1. It offers the advantages of an ELISA-ease of automation, high-volume throughput of samples, and ease of use in a routine, clinical laboratory...
- MIC-1, a novel macrophage inhibitory cytokine, is a divergent member of the TGF-beta superfamilyM R Bootcov
Centre for Immunology, St Vincent s Hospital, and University of New South Wales, Sydney, 2010, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:11514-9. 1997..Its production in response to secreted proinflammatory cytokines and TGF-beta may serve to limit the later phases of macrophage activation...
- Macrophage inhibitory cytokine 1 reduces cell adhesion and induces apoptosis in prostate cancer cellsTao Liu
Centre for Immunology, St Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Victoria Street, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
Cancer Res 63:5034-40. 2003..It is likely that caspase-dependent apoptosis is secondary to loss of cell adhesion and may suggest a role for MIC-1 in tumor dissemination in vivo...
- Measurement of serum levels of macrophage inhibitory cytokine 1 combined with prostate-specific antigen improves prostate cancer diagnosisDavid A Brown
Centre for Immunology at St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Clin Cancer Res 12:89-96. 2006..Consequently, we sought to assess serum MIC-1 measurement as a diagnostic tool...
- MIC-1 serum level and genotype: associations with progress and prognosis of colorectal carcinomaDavid A Brown
Centre for Immunology, St Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW, Australia
Clin Cancer Res 9:2642-50. 2003..In a separate cohort of 224 patients, we evaluated the relationship of MIC-1 serum level and genotype to standard tumor parameters and outcome measures...
- Concentration in plasma of macrophage inhibitory cytokine-1 and risk of cardiovascular events in women: a nested case-control studyDavid A Brown
Centre for Immunology, St Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Lancet 359:2159-63. 2002..Raised concentrations of MIC-1 in serum arise in several disease states, can be detected in normal individuals, and can partly be genetically determined. We aimed to investigate whether MIC-1 has a role in atherothrombosis...
- Serum macrophage inhibitory cytokine 1 in rheumatoid arthritis: a potential marker of erosive joint destructionDavid A Brown
St Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Arthritis Rheum 56:753-64. 2007..Since rheumatoid arthritis (RA) shares similar etiopathologic mechanisms with the above diseases, we sought to determine the clinical utility of determining MIC-1 serum levels and MIC-1 genotype in the management of RA...
- Large-scale delineation of secreted protein biomarkers overexpressed in cancer tissue and serumJohn B Welsh
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation, 10675 John Jay Hopkins Drive, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:3410-5. 2003....
- Recombinant CLIC1 (NCC27) assembles in lipid bilayers via a pH-dependent two-state process to form chloride ion channels with identical characteristics to those observed in Chinese hamster ovary cells expressing CLIC1Kristina Warton
Centre for Immunology, St Vincent s Hospital and University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2010, Australia
J Biol Chem 277:26003-11. 2002....