Marijka J Batterham
Affiliation: University of Wollongong
- Analyzing weight loss intervention studies with missing data: which methods should be used?Marijka J Batterham
National Institute of Applied Statistics Research Australia, University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
Nutrition 29:1024-9. 2013..The aim of this study was to identify methods in the literature and to compare the effects of methods of analysis using simulated data sets...
- The Nutrition and Enjoyable Activity for Teen Girls (NEAT girls) randomized controlled trial for adolescent girls from disadvantaged secondary schools: rationale, study protocol, and baseline resultsDavid R Lubans
School of Education, University of Newcastle, Newcastle, Callaghan Campus, Australia
BMC Public Health 10:652. 2010..The purpose of this paper is to report the rationale, study design and baseline findings of a school-based obesity prevention program for low-active adolescent girls from disadvantaged secondary schools...
- A preliminary open label dose comparison using an antioxidant regimen to determine the effect on viral load and oxidative stress in men with HIV/AIDSM Batterham
The Albion Street Centre, Randwick, Australia
Eur J Clin Nutr 55:107-14. 2001..To investigate the effect of antioxidant supplementation on viral load and the antioxidant/reactive oxygen species system in people with HIV...
- A comparison of megestrol acetate, nandrolone decanoate and dietary counselling for HIV associated weight lossM J Batterham
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Missenden Road, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Int J Androl 24:232-40. 2001..The long-term use of these agents in people with HIV should be reviewed in the context of improved survival on highly active antiretroviral therapy regimens...
- Prevalence and predictors of HIV-associated weight loss in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapyMarijka J Batterham
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Missenden Road, Camperdown, Sydney, NSW 2050, Australia
Int J STD AIDS 13:744-7. 2002..0008). Weight loss is still common in the HAART era. HIV VL was the most significant predictor of weight loss in this sample. Inadequate dietary intake and self-reported lipodystrophy were not related to weight loss in this population...
- Calculating energy requirements for men with HIV/AIDS in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapyM J Batterham
Smart Foods Centre, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:209-17. 2003..3. To determine if REE adjusting for body composition is significantly different between those HIV-positive subjects reporting lipodystrophy (LD) or weight loss (>or=5%) and those who are weight stable when compared to controls...
- Investigating heterogeneity in studies of resting energy expenditure in persons with HIV/AIDS: a meta-analysisMarijka J Batterham
Smart Foods Centre, University of Wollongong, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 81:702-13. 2005..There is conflict in the literature about the extent of alterations of resting energy expenditure (REE) in persons with HIV...
- Oat beta-glucan supplementation does not enhance the effectiveness of an energy-restricted diet in overweight womenEleanor J Beck
School of Health Sciences, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Br J Nutr 103:1212-22. 2010....
- Pork, beef and chicken have similar effects on acute satiety and hormonal markers of appetiteKaren E Charlton
School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Appetite 56:1-8. 2011..027) but not for levels of CCK, ghrelin, insulin or glucose. This study positions pork, beef, and chicken as equal in their effect on satiety and release of appetite-related intestinal hormones and of insulin...
- Diet high in oat β-glucan activates the gut-hypothalamic (PYY₃₋₃₆-NPY) axis and increases satiety in diet-induced obesity in miceXu Feng Huang
School of Health Sciences, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Mol Nutr Food Res 55:1118-21. 2011..05) and body weight gain was lower with increasing β-glucan over 6 wk with acute suppression of energy intake over 4 h. The highest β-glucan diet significantly increased plasma PYY₃₋₃₆, with suppression of Arc NPY mRNA...
- Effect of 6 weeks' consumption of β-glucan-rich oat products on cholesterol levels in mildly hypercholesterolaemic overweight adultsKaren E Charlton
Smart Foods Centre, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Br J Nutr 107:1037-47. 2012..Intakes of oat β-glucan were as effective at doses of 1·5 g/d compared with 3 g/d when provided in different food formats that delivered similar amounts of soluble β-glucan...
- Oat beta-glucan increases postprandial cholecystokinin levels, decreases insulin response and extends subjective satiety in overweight subjectsEleanor J Beck
School of Health Sciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, Australia
Mol Nutr Food Res 53:1343-51. 2009..beta-Glucan improves satiety and release of cholecystokinin is likely to be part of the mechanism. Products with different sources of beta-glucan provide similar benefits but each product requires individual testing...
- Performance of body mass index in predicting diabetes and hypertension in the Eastern Province of Saudi ArabiaAli M Almajwal
School of Health Sciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Ann Saudi Med 29:437-45. 2009..This study aimed to assess the validity of standard BMI cut-point values in the Saudi population...
- Foods, nutrients or whole diets: effects of targeting fish and LCn3PUFA consumption in a 12mo weight loss trialLinda C Tapsell
Smart Foods Centre, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522, Australia
BMC Public Health 13:1231. 2013..There is some evidence in the literature that emphasising fish consumption may assist with weight loss. The aim was to assess the effects of advice to consume 2 fish meals per week in a weight loss diet...
- Relative bias in diet history measurements: a quality control technique for dietary intervention trialsGina S Martin
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Public Health Nutr 5:537-45. 2002..Investigation of relative bias in diet history measurement during dietary intervention trials...
- Short-term effects of fish and fish oil consumption on total and high molecular weight adiponectin levels in overweight and obese adultsElizabeth P Neale
Smart Foods Centre, School of Health Sciences, University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
Metabolism 62:651-60. 2013..The aim of this study was to compare the effect of consuming fish and fish oil supplements on plasma total and HMW adiponectin concentrations in overweight human participants...
- Relative validity of a diet history interview in an intervention trial manipulating dietary fat in the management of Type II diabetes mellitusGina Simone Martin
Department of Biomedical Science and Smart Foods Centre, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, New South Wales 2522, Australia
Prev Med 36:420-8. 2003..This study assesses the relative validity of a diet history interview in 56 free-living individuals with Type II diabetes mellitus...
- Increases in peptide Y-Y levels following oat beta-glucan ingestion are dose-dependent in overweight adultsEleanor J Beck
School of Health Sciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Nutr Res 29:705-9. 2009..Meal-test studies examining a range of hormones should measure hormones over a minimum of 4 hours and record meal intake for even longer time frames...
- A school-based intervention to promote physical activity among adolescent girls: rationale, design, and baseline data from the Girls in Sport group randomised controlled trialAnthony D Okely
Interdisciplinary Educational Research Institute, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong, 2522, Australia
BMC Public Health 11:658. 2011..This report describes the rationale, design and baseline data from the Girls in Sport group randomised trial, which aims to prevent the decline in moderate-to-vigorous intensity physical activity (MVPA) among adolescent girls...
- Addressing the deficiencies in the evidence-base for primary practice in regional Australia - sentinel practices data sourcing (SPDS) project: a pilot studyAbhijeet Ghosh
Grand Pacific Health Ltd, trading as Illawarra Shoalhaven Medicare Local ISML, Wollongong, Australia
BMC Fam Pract 14:109. 2013..To date, information gathered from primary care interactions, using sentinel sites, has not been investigated as a potentially valuable surveillance system in Australia...
- The role of fats in the lifecycle stages: adolescence and young adulthoodLinda C Tapsell
Smart Food Centre, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong, NSW 2500, Australia
Med J Aust 176:S116-7. 2002....
- Modifying dietary fat intake can reduce serum cholesterol in HIV-associated hypercholesterolemiaMarijka J Batterham
AIDS 17:1414-6. 2003