Affiliation: University of Western Australia
- Australasian haematologist referral patterns to palliative care: lack of consensus on when and whyK Auret
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Intern Med J 33:566-71. 2003..Patients with haematological malignancies are not referred to palliative care services as frequently as those with solid cancers (non-haematological malignancies)...
- Pain management in palliative care--an updateKirsten Auret
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, and Palliative Care Unit, Hollywood Private Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Aust Fam Physician 35:762-5. 2006..The goal of palliative care is to relieve suffering and improve quality of life. A step-by-step approach allows good symptom management and minimisation of drug side effects...
- Development and testing of a modified version of the brief pain inventory for use in residential aged care facilitiesKirsten A Auret
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:301-6. 2008..A two-phase study was conducted to refine a version of Cleeland's Brief Pain Inventory (BPI, Short Form) for use in residential aged care facilities (RACFs)...
- Underutilisation of opioids in elderly patients with chronic pain: approaches to correcting the problemKirsten Auret
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Drugs Aging 22:641-54. 2005..This more rational and knowledge-based approach to the use of opioids in the management of chronic pain in the elderly population should correct the current problems with underprescribing in this age group...
- Using Structured Clinical Instruction Modules (SCIM) in teaching palliative care to undergraduate medical studentsKirsten Auret
Palliative Medicine, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Australia
J Cancer Educ 23:149-55. 2008..Methods. A 2-hour Structured Clinical Instruction Module (SCIM) workshop was designed and implemented to address these issues...
- The interface between palliative medicine and specialists in acute-care hospitals: boundaries, bridges and challengesPaul A Glare
Palliative Care Department, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Missenden Road, Camperdown, NSW 2050
Med J Aust 179:S29-31. 2003..Palliative medicine in the private sector has some advantages, but specialists also face specific challenges, including the cost of certain drugs, access to the multidisciplinary team and reimbursement issues...