Nicholas A Buckley
Affiliation: The Canberra Hospital
- Overcoming apathy in research on organophosphate poisoningNick A Buckley
South Asian Clinical Toxicology Research Collaboration, Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Canberra Hospital, PO Box 11, Woden, ACT 2606, Australia
BMJ 329:1231-3. 2004
- Changes in fatalities due to overdose of anxiolytic and sedative drugs in the UK (1983-1999)Nicholas A Buckley
Australian National University Medical School, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Drug Saf 27:135-41. 2004..To establish the frequency with which anxiolytic and sedative drugs result in fatal poisonings and to examine longitudinal changes in poisoning deaths...
- The limited utility of electrocardiography variables used to predict arrhythmia in psychotropic drug overdoseNicholas A Buckley
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, The Canberra Hospital, Australia
Crit Care 7:R101-7. 2003..The aim of the present study was to examine the relationship between serious arrhythmias in patients with psychotropic drug overdose and electrocardiography (ECG) findings that have been suggested previously to predict this complication...
- 'Atypical' antidepressants in overdose: clinical considerations with respect to safetyNicholas A Buckley
Department of Clinical Toxicology and Pharmacology, The Canberra Hospital, Woden, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Drug Saf 26:539-51. 2003..This tension is between respecting patient autonomy through frank communication of the material risk of overdose and non-disclosure to avoid such harm...
- The need for translational research on antidotes for pesticide poisoningNick A Buckley
South Asian Clinical Toxicology Research Collaboration, Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Colombo, Colombo
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 32:999-1005. 2005..4. The few effective treatments are not being recommended or delivered in an optimal and timely fashion to poisoned patients. A regional approach to facilitate appropriate pricing, packaging and delivery of antidotes is required...
- Does restricting pack size of paracetamol (acetaminophen) reduce suicides?Nicholas A Buckley
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Australian National University Medical School, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
PLoS Med 4:e152. 2007
- Fatal toxicity of serotoninergic and other antidepressant drugs: analysis of United Kingdom mortality dataNicholas A Buckley
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Canberra Hospital, PO Box 11, Woden, ACT 2606, Australia
BMJ 325:1332-3. 2002
- Diagnostic data in clinical toxicology--should we use a Bayesian approach?Nicholas A Buckley
Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, The Canberra Hospital, Woden, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 40:213-22. 2002..The usefulness (i.e., external validity) of clinical research from other centers can also be determined...
- Evaluation of the Test-mate ChE (cholinesterase) field kit in acute organophosphorus poisoningBishan N Rajapakse
South Asian Clinical Toxicology Research Collaboration, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Ann Emerg Med 58:559-564.e6. 2011..We evaluate Test-mate against a reference laboratory test in patients with acute organophosphorus self-poisoning...
- Of consents and CONSORTs: reporting ethics, law, and human rights in RCTs involving monitored overdose of healthy volunteers pre and post the "CONSORT" guidelinesThomas A Faunce
Faculty of Medicine, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 41:93-9. 2003..Reporting did not improve with the publication of CONSORT even in relation to requirements specifically included in the guidelines...
- Prolonged absorption and delayed peak paracetamol concentration following poisoning with extended-release formulationDarren M Roberts
Medical School, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Med J Aust 188:310-1. 2008..Current treatment recommendations, based on experience with a different formulation in the United States, may not be appropriate for the Australian formulation...
- Should a lower treatment line be used when treating paracetamol poisoning in patients with chronic alcoholism?: a case forNicholas A Buckley
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, The Canberra Hospital, Woden, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Drug Saf 25:619-24. 2002..In overdose, the potential benefits of treatment at this lower threshold clearly outweigh the minimal risks of acetylcysteine...
- Life-threatening interaction between complementary medicines: cyanide toxicity following ingestion of amygdalin and vitamin CJonathan Bromley
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, The Canberra Hospital, Garran, Australia
Ann Pharmacother 39:1566-9. 2005..To describe a case of severe accidental cyanide poisoning following a single ingestion of amygdalin with therapeutic intent...
- Hyperbaric oxygen for carbon monoxide poisoning : a systematic review and critical analysis of the evidenceNicholas A Buckley
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Australian National University Medical School, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Toxicol Rev 24:75-92. 2005..Such research should not exclude patients with severe poisoning, have a primary outcome that is clinically meaningful and have oversight from an independent data monitoring and ethics committee...
- Xmas (brand substitution not permitted)Jonathan Bromley
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Canberra Hospital, Canberra, ACT. jonathan.bromleyATact.gov.au
Med J Aust 185:687. 2006..CONCLUSION: Doctors might be encouraged to prescribe generically if generic names were devised using the same principles marketers use for devising brand names...
- Serotonin syndrome induced by fluvoxamine and oxycodoneHarindra Karunatilake
The Canberra Hospital, Canberra, New South Wales, Australia
Ann Pharmacother 40:155-7. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: Monitoring for serotonergic adverse events should be done when oxycodone is given to patients receiving serotonin-reuptake inhibitors...
- A meta-analysis of prognostic indicators to predict seizures, arrhythmias or death after tricyclic antidepressant overdoseBenoit Bailey
Division of Emergency Medicine and Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Pediatrics, Hopital Ste Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 42:877-88. 2004..To systematically review and summarize studies on the accuracy of ECG and tricyclic antidepressant (TCA) concentration as prognostic indicators of the risk of seizures, ventricular arrhythmia (VA) or death in patients with TCA overdose...
- The spectrum of intermediate syndrome following acute organophosphate poisoning: a prospective cohort study from Sri LankaPradeepa Jayawardane
South Asian Clinical Toxicology Research Collaboration SACTRC, Faculty of Medicine, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
PLoS Med 5:e147. 2008..The objective of this study was to determine repetitive nerve stimulation (RNS) predictors of IMS that would assist in patient management and clinical research...
- Guidelines for the management of paracetamol poisoning in Australia and New Zealand--explanation and elaboration. A consensus statement from clinical toxicologists consulting to the Australasian poisons information centresFrank F S Daly
Emergency Medicine, Royal Perth Hospital, and University of Western Australia, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 188:296-301. 2008..This article summarises the rationale for the recommendations made in these new guidelines...
- Activated Charcoal RCTGabrielle M Cooper
Am J Ther 10:235-6. 2003
- Data collection in clinical toxicology: are there too many variables?Ian M Whyte
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, School of Population Health Sciences, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 40:223-30. 2002..In the area of research, an appropriately designed database can be both a source of hypotheses as well as a vehicle to test them. It can also serve as a repository of research data in subsequent randomized controlled trials...
- Improvement in survival after paraquat ingestion following introduction of a new formulation in Sri LankaMartin F Wilks
Syngenta Crop Protection AG, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS Med 5:e49. 2008..We compared the outcome of paraquat self-poisoning with the standard formulation against the new INTEON formulation following its introduction into Sri Lanka...
- Serotonin toxicity: a practical approach to diagnosis and treatmentGeoffrey K Isbister
Tropical Toxinology Unit, Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, NT, Australia
Med J Aust 187:361-5. 2007..Treatment should focus on cessation of the serotonergic medication and supportive care. Some antiserotonergic agents have been used in clinical practice, but the preferred agent, dose and indications are not well defined...
- Activated charcoal decreases the risk of QT prolongation after citalopram overdoseGeoffrey K Isbister
Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Australia
Ann Emerg Med 50:593-600, 600.e1-46. 2007..We determine whether single-dose activated charcoal (SDAC) administration after citalopram overdose reduces the proportion of patients developing abnormal QT prolongation...
- Paracetamol poisoning and the international normalized ratioIan M Whyte
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15:105; author reply 105-6. 2003
- Severe neurotoxicity following oral meperidine (pethidine) overdoseHarindra Karunatilake
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 45:200-1. 2007
- Effect of paracetamol poisoning on international normalised ratioIan M Whyte
Lancet 361:429; author reply 429-30. 2003
- Randomized controlled trial of topical aspirin in the treatment of bee and wasp stingsCorrine R Balit
NSW Poisons Information Centre, The Children s Hospital Westmead, Westmead, Australia
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 41:801-8. 2003..Anecdotal evidence from calls suggested it was effective in reducing the swelling and duration of pain, but a literature search found no evidence to support this...
- Where is the evidence for treatments used in pesticide poisoning? Is clinical toxicology fiddling while the developing world burns?Nicholas A Buckley
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 42:113-6. 2004
- Clomipramine and neuroleptic malignant syndrome: literature on adverse reactions to psychotropic drugs continues to confuseGeoffrey K Isbister
BMJ 330:790-1; author reply 791. 2005
- Reporting clinical research: an example of balancing a simple clinical message with data required to help future researchNicholas A Buckley
Emerg Med Australas 17:102-3. 2005