Affiliation: St Vincent's Hospital
- Why evidence-based practice now?: a polemicKim Walker
St Vincent s Private Hospital, 406 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, New South Wales 2010, Australia
Nurs Inq 10:145-55. 2003....
- Measuring the impact of a team model of nursing practice using work samplingKim Walker
St Vincent s Private Hospital, 406 Victoria St, Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
Aust Health Rev 31:98-107. 2007..The findings highlight how effective the new model has been in redistributing certain aspects of care to make better use of each nurse level's knowledge and skills...
- Nurses report a healthy culture: results of the Practice Environment Scale (Australia) in an Australian hospital seeking Magnet recognitionKim Walker
Nursing Research Institute, Australian Catholic University, St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Nurs Pract 16:616-23. 2010....
- Postmodern pedagogy and the nursing curriculum: collaborating for excellenceKim Walker
St Vincent s Private Hospital, Darlinghurst
Collegian 12:36-40. 2005....
- Reaching for the stars: career advancement and the registered nurseKim Walker
St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia
Int J Nurs Pract 11:185-90. 2005....
- Practice development in a postmodern world: thinking globally, acting locallyKim Walker
St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney
Collegian 10:17-21. 2003
- Educational outreach visits to improve nurses' use of mechanical venous thromboembolism prevention in hospitalized medical patientsJed Duff
St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney, Australia Nursing Research Institute, St Vincent s and Mater Health Sydney, Australian Catholic University, Victoria, Australia Electronic address
J Vasc Nurs 31:139-49. 2013..5 minutes of preparation for every minute spent face to face with participants. Further research into the specific mechanism of action is required to explain the variability in clinical effect seen with this intervention...
- Project possibility: a model of care and the politics of changeKim Walker
St Vincent s Private Hospital, Honorary Senior Research Fellow Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery and Health University of Technology, Sydney, New South Wales
Contemp Nurse 14:86-94. 2002..This paper articulates the salientfeatures of the model, key processes involved in the model's introduction to the staff and explores the complex politics surrounding its implementation and ongoing evaluation...
- Practice development as a catalyst for cultural changeKim Walker
St Vincent s Private Hospital, Darlinghurst, NSW
Aust Nurs J 12:11. 2005
- Educational outreach visits to improve venous thromboembolism prevention in hospitalised medical patients: a prospective before-and-after intervention studyJed Duff
St Vincent s Private Hospital Sydney, Victoria Street, 2010, Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 13:398. 2013....
- Preventing hypothermia in elective arthroscopic shoulder surgery patients: a protocol for a randomised controlled trialJed Duff
St Vincent s Private Hospital, and Nursing Research Institute, St Vincent s and Mater Health Sydney Australian Catholic University, Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, NSW, 2010, Australia
BMC Surg 12:14. 2012..This trial will investigate the effect of these interventions on patients' temperature, thermal comfort, and total recovery time...
- Fast-track for fast times: catching and keeping generation Y in the nursing workforceKim Walker
St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney NSW and School of Nursing and Midwifery, The University of Tasmania, Hobart TAS and Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery and Health, University of Technology, Sydney NSW, Australia
Contemp Nurse 24:147-58. 2007..Both these initiatives are aimed squarely at the gen Y demographic and provide potential to significantly augment our capacity to recruit and retain quality people well into the future...
- Prevention of venous thromboembolism in hospitalized patients: analysis of reduced cost and improved clinical outcomesJed Duff
St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Vasc Nurs 31:9-14. 2013..We conclude that improved adherence to evidence-based guidelines for VTE prophylaxis is achievable and is likely to result in fewer deaths, fewer VTE events, and a significant overall cost saving...
- Improving the safety and efficacy of warfarin therapy in a metropolitan private hospital: a multidisciplinary practice improvement projectJed Duff
Clinical Research Fellow, St Vincent s Private Hospital, Nursing Research Institute, St Vincent s and Mater Health Sydney, Australian Catholic University, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Contemp Nurse 35:234-44. 2010..The aim of this project was to improve warfarin management through the application of the best available evidence. The project was undertaken in a 250 bed acute care metropolitan private hospital...
- Translating venous thromboembolism (VTE) prevention evidence into practice: a multidisciplinary evidence implementation projectJed Duff
Nursing Research Institute, St Vincent s Private Hospital, Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 8:30-9. 2011..Despite the widespread availability of best practice guidelines on VTE prevention, we found that only 49% of our patients were receiving appropriate prophylaxis...
- Curriculum in crisis, pedagogy in disrepair: a provocationKim Walker
St Vincent s Private Hospital, Australian Catholic University, Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
Contemp Nurse 32:19-29. 2009..While there is a growing body of literature that supports many of the claims here there is also relative published silence around others that are perhaps more contentious...
- Alert but not alarmed? The rhetoric of terrorism and life after 9/11Kim Walker
St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales
Contemp Nurse 21:267-76. 2006....
- Supporting a healthy culture: results of the practice environment scale, australia in a magnet®designated hospitalKim Walker
Author Affiliations Professor of Healthcare Improvement Dr Walker, St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney, University of Tasmania, Darlinghurst Research Assistant Ms Fitzgerald, St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney Clinical Research Fellow Dr Duff, Clinical Senior Lecturer, St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney, University of Tasmania, Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
J Nurs Adm 44:653-8. 2014..The outcomes challenge previously reported data suggesting that hospitals on the journey to Magnet recognition outperform already designated hospitals in this respect. ..
- What really matters? A multi-view perspective of one patient's hospital experienceKelly J Edwards
St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2 University of Tasmania, Hobart, TAS, Australia
Contemp Nurse 49:122-36. 2014..Research comparing healthcare recipient and provider perceptions regarding the same episode of care is lacking...
- Intervening to improve quality and safety of care for the obese in an orthopaedic unit: a collaborative action-oriented quality improvement project in a Magnet recognised facilityKim Walker
SV and MHS ACU Nursing Research Institute, St Vincent s Private Hospital, Australia
Collegian 20:171-7. 2013....
- Preventing inadvertent hypothermia: comparing two protocols for preoperative forced-air warmingKerry Anne Cobbe
Day Surgery Unit, St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Perianesth Nurs 27:18-24. 2012..When asked, participants preferred protocol A to B (70% to 30%). Starting at higher device settings appears the more favorable of the two approaches...
- Testing the effect of a targeted intervention on nurses' compliance with "best practice" mechanical venous thromboembolism preventionFrancesca Li
Nursing Research Institute, St Vincent s Private Hospital, Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
J Vasc Nurs 28:92-6. 2010..More work is needed to increase the compliance rate with medical patients...
- 'Double b(l)ind': Peer-review and the politics of scholarshipKim Walker
Practice Development and Research Coordinator, St Vincent s Private Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Nurs Philos 5:135-46. 2004..It is written to open debate from others who too, have harboured doubts about its adequacy and supremacy as a technology in the production of (legitimate) knowledge...
- The 'order of things': tracing a history of the present through a re-reading of the past in nursing educationKim Walker
School of Nursing, Australian Catholic University, Australia
Contemp Nurse 30:106-18. 2008..This history has left an unfortunate legacy that ensures nurses' political voice continues to remain muted and their contribution to healthcare under-recognised and under-valued...
- Why do work patterns differ between men and women GPs?Fiona French
NHS Education for Scotland, Aberdeen, UK
J Health Organ Manag 20:163-72. 2006..The purpose of this study was to explore gender differences in contractual commitments, job satisfaction and spouses' occupation among GP principals in NHS Scotland...
- Whither nursing? Reflections on fate and futurityKim Walker
Contemp Nurse 16:3-8. 2003
- General practitioner non-principals benefit from flexible workingFiona French
NHS Education for Scotland, North Scotland Region, Aberdeen, UK
J Health Organ Manag 19:5-15. 2005..The purpose of this study is to explore non-principals' working patterns and attitudes to work...