Affiliation: St Vincent's Hospital
- Public funding of bosentan for the treatment of pulmonary artery hypertension in Australia: cost effectiveness and risk sharingJohn H Wlodarczyk
John Wlodarczyk Consulting Services, New Lambton, New South Wales, Australia
Pharmacoeconomics 24:903-15. 2006....
- Quality of life in pulmonary arterial hypertension: improvement and maintenance with bosentanAnne M Keogh
Victor Chang Research Institute, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 26:181-7. 2007..The VITAL study assessed the effect of bosentan on quality of life in patients with WHO Functional Class III or IV PAH (idiopathic or associated with connective tissue diseases)...
- Hemodynamics in pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH): do they explain long-term clinical outcomes with PAH-specific therapy?Peter Steele
Department of Epidemiology and Preventative Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 10:9. 2010..There remains a need to differentiate between available therapies and current endpoint responses which in turn, could be used to guide treatment selection and provide long-term prognostic information for patients...
- Survival after the initiation of combination therapy in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension: an Australian collaborative reportA Keogh
St Vincent s Hospital, Xavier 4, Victoria St, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010, Australia
Intern Med J 41:235-44. 2011..In clinical practice, combination therapy is often used in patients deteriorating on monotherapy, despite the absence of firm evidence from randomized controlled controls...
- Long-term benefits of mycophenolate mofetil after heart transplantationAnne Keogh
Heart Transplant Unit, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Transplantation 79:S45-6. 2005..Malignancy was numerically but not significantly lower at 3 years; in open label experience up to 7 years, it is diminished by 37% on MMF. MMF protects heart transplant recipients against both vasculopathy and malignancy...
- Calcineurin inhibitors in heart transplantationAnne Keogh
Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute and Heart Lung Transplant Unit, St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, New South Wales, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 23:S202-6. 2004..Because cyclosporine and tacrolimus have similar efficacy against acute rejection the choice of CNI for heart transplant recipients should be based on the relative risk of cardiovascular and renal side effects...
- Improving outcomes in heart transplantation: the potential of proliferation signal inhibitorsA Keogh
Heart and Lung Transplant Unit, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Transplant Proc 37:1S-3S. 2005
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension: a new era in managementAnne M Keogh
Xavier 4, St Vincent s Hospital, Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010, Australia
Med J Aust 178:564-7. 2003..Best management of PAH is comprehensive and multidisciplinary. Centres of excellence are needed in geographically strategic areas. Aggressive efforts must be made to diagnose PAH and to facilitate access to effective therapies...
- Interventional and surgical modalities of treatment in pulmonary hypertensionAnne M Keogh
St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Am Coll Cardiol 54:S67-77. 2009..Right ventricular synchronization therapy has not yet been tested. Novel shunts (e.g., Potts anastomosis) also hold promise. All surgery for pulmonary hypertension should be performed in centers with experience in these techniques...
- The Bosentan Patient Registry: long-term survival in pulmonary arterial hypertensionA Keogh
St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, John Wlodarczyk Consulting Services, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Intern Med J 41:227-34. 2011..The primary aim of the registry was to collect survival data in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) treated with bosentan...
- Sirolimus in de novo heart transplant recipients reduces acute rejection and prevents coronary artery disease at 2 years: a randomized clinical trialAnne Keogh
St Vincent s Hospital, Xavier 4, Victoria St, Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia
Circulation 110:2694-700. 2004..Its effects on rejection and transplant vasculopathy in human heart transplant recipients are unknown...
- Efficacy and safety of pravastatin vs simvastatin after cardiac transplantationA Keogh
Heart Transplant Unit and Victor Chang Research Unit, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 19:529-37. 2000..For safety and pharmacokinetic reasons, pravastatin should be considered the statin of choice after heart transplantation...
- Predicting the occurrence of diabetes mellitus in recipients of heart transplantsB Depczynski
Diabetes Centre, St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Diabet Med 17:15-9. 2000..To establish the incidence of post-transplant diabetes mellitus (PTDM) and factors predictive of its development...
- Protective effect of short-tem calcitriol or cyclical etidronate on bone loss after cardiac or lung transplantationK Henderson
Bone and Mineral Research Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, Australia
J Bone Miner Res 16:565-71. 2001..These data suggest short-term prophylaxis with calcitriol or cyclical etidronate is partially effective in reducing bone loss after cardiac or lung transplantation but treatment needs to be continued for a longer term...
- Chronic sildenafil lowers transpulmonary gradient and improves cardiac output allowing successful heart transplantationAndrew Jabbour
Heart Transplant Unit, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Eur J Heart Fail 9:674-7. 2007..This study aimed to assess the effects of chronic sildenafil administration on the PVR, transpulmonary gradient (TPG), and cardiac output (CO) in patients with heart failure awaiting heart transplantation...
- Severe diverticulitis after heart, lung, and heart-lung transplantationRaffi A Qasabian
Department of Colorectal Surgery, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 23:845-9. 2004....
- Successful valganciclovir treatment of post-transplant cytomegalovirus infection in the presence of UL97 mutation N597DJenna M Iwasenko
Virology Division, Department of Microbiology, SEALS, POWH and UNSW Research Laboratories, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW, Australia
J Med Virol 81:507-10. 2009..Accurate interpretation of genotypic test results ultimately requires experimental determination of the level of resistance conferred by newly discovered UL97 mutations...
- Reversal of chronic cyclosporine nephrotoxicity after heart transplantation-potential role of mycophenolate mofetilTakeo Tedoriya
Heart and Lung Transplant Unit, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 21:976-82. 2002....
- Safety and efficacy of transition from subcutaneous treprostinil to oral sildenafil in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertensionAnne M Keogh
Heart Lung Transplant Unit, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 26:1079-83. 2007....
- Decision support tool to individualize cyclosporine dose in stable, long-term heart transplant recipients receiving metabolic inhibitors: overcoming limitations of cyclosporine C2 monitoringJohn E Ray
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, SydPath, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 25:1223-9. 2006....
- Apparent clearance of sirolimus in heart transplant recipients: impact of primary diagnosis and serum lipidsHamim Zahir
Department of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, 02881, USA
Ther Drug Monit 28:614-22. 2006..This information may assist in dose individualization of sirolimus in transplant recipients...
- Cyclosporin C(2) and C(0) concentration monitoring in stable, long-term heart transplant recipients receiving metabolic inhibitorsJohn E Ray
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Sydney, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 22:715-22. 2003....
- Reduction of immunosuppressant therapy requirement in heart transplantation by calcitriolN Kathryn Briffa
Bone and Mineral Research Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Transplantation 75:2133-4. 2003....
- Prehydration alone is sufficient to prevent contrast-induced nephropathy after day-only angiography procedures--a randomised controlled trialEugene Kotlyar
Heart and Lung Transplant Unit, Cardiology Department, St Vincent s Hospital, Xavier 4, Victoria St, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010, Australia
Heart Lung Circ 14:245-51. 2005..It is uncertain whether administration of intravenous (IV) anti-oxidant, N-acetylcysteine (NAC), can prevent reduction in renal function and whether this is a cost-effective approach...
- Bosentan for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension associated with congenital cardiac diseaseEugene Kotlyar
St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Cardiol Young 16:268-74. 2006..We sought to evaluate its effect in adults with Eisenmenger's syndrome...
- Similar efficacy and safety of enteric-coated mycophenolate sodium (EC-MPS, myfortic) compared with mycophenolate mofetil (MMF) in de novo heart transplant recipients: results of a 12-month, single-blind, randomized, parallel-group, multicenter studyJon A Kobashigawa
Department of Cardiology, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 25:935-41. 2006..Enteric-coated mycophenolate sodium (EC-MPS, myfortic) is an advanced formulation that delays the release of mycophenolic acid (MPA). Its efficacy and safety has been proven in several clinical trials in renal transplantation...
- Mycoplasma hominis infection in heart and lung transplantationPeter M Hopkins
Heart Lung Transplant Unit, St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, Sydney, Australia
J Heart Lung Transplant 21:1225-9. 2002..This cluster raises the question of nosocomial transmission of infection and supports a recommendation for single-room isolation and universal precautions for infected individuals...
- The use of clinical reasoning to promote patient choiceAnne M Keogh
Clinical Solutions Ltd, Thurcaston, Leicester, UK
EDTNA ERCA J 28:151-2. 2002
- Nitric oxide pathway and phosphodiesterase inhibitors in pulmonary arterial hypertensionHossein A Ghofrani
Department of Internal Medicine Pulmonary Hypertension Center, University Hospital, Giessen, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 43:68S-72S. 2004..The results of such studies have to confirm the current encouraging findings before recommendations regarding the use of PDE-5 inhibitors as a new treatment for PH can be made...
- Ambrisentan therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertensionNazzareno Galie
University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Am Coll Cardiol 46:529-35. 2005..The purpose of this study was to examine the efficacy and safety of four doses of ambrisentan, an oral endothelin type A receptor-selective antagonist, in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)...